Won't instll on XP -Pic Included - SP32-20050622-102612.jp..

Here is a pic of the message I get when trying to install The Sims on
my machine, Pentium 4, 1.2. How do I get around this please.

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante

Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Janice

Google is your friend http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1453
"M. FERRANTE" <manthonyferrante@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here is a pic of the message I get when trying to install The Sims on
> my machine, Pentium 4, 1.2. How do I get around this please.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante
>

> Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:
>
> http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I went to where you said and this is what it said. I will comment also
on what did not happen:

Q:
After updating to XP Service Pack 2 when I go to install some programs
I get a message that says, "The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." What's going on?

A:
For some reason the installation of SP2 can cause a file called
"AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the
Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.

What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that
program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the
AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program. Not
everyone who installs SP2 will have this problem, but we've had
several calls and emails about it.

Fortunately there is a backup of the file living on your hard drive.

Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and
open the "WINDOWS" folder.

Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances
are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit
"Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.

(I DID THE ABOVE AND THERE ARE NO SYSTEM32 OR AUTOEXEC.NT FILES THERE.
IN FACT, I DID A SERACH AND THERE ARE TWO SYSTEM32 FILES IN OTHER
PROGRAM FOLDERS, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS AND DOING AN SEARCH FOR THE
AUTOEXECT.NT DID NOT FIND ANY RESULTS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. PLEASE
READ ON...

Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt"
and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to
SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to
replace the old one—click "Yes".

YES, THE REPAIR FOLDER IS THERE, BUT IT IS EMPTY. ANY OTHER
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE/

MARK

That should do it. Now try installing that program and it should work
fine

>I went to where you said and this is what it said. I will comment also
> on what did not happen:
>
> Q:
> After updating to XP Service Pack 2 when I go to install some programs
> I get a message that says, "The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." What's going on?
>
> A:
> For some reason the installation of SP2 can cause a file called
> "AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the
> Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.
>
> What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that
> program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the
> AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program. Not
> everyone who installs SP2 will have this problem, but we've had
> several calls and emails about it.
>
> Fortunately there is a backup of the file living on your hard drive.
>
> Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and
> open the "WINDOWS" folder.
>
> Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances
> are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit
> "Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.
>
> (I DID THE ABOVE AND THERE ARE NO SYSTEM32 OR AUTOEXEC.NT FILES THERE.
> IN FACT, I DID A SERACH AND THERE ARE TWO SYSTEM32 FILES IN OTHER
> PROGRAM FOLDERS, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS AND DOING AN SEARCH FOR THE
> AUTOEXECT.NT DID NOT FIND ANY RESULTS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. PLEASE
> READ ON...
>
> Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt"
> and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to
> SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to
> replace the old one-click "Yes".
>
> YES, THE REPAIR FOLDER IS THERE, BUT IT IS EMPTY. ANY OTHER
> SUGGESTIONS PLEASE/
>
> MARK

Do you have your computer set up to show all system and hidden files? You
can set it up thru 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>View

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:06:10 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>"M. FERRANTE" <manthonyferrante@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I went to where you said and this is what it said. I will comment also
>> on what did not happen:
>>
>> Q:
>> After updating to XP Service Pack 2 when I go to install some programs
>> I get a message that says, "The system file is not suitable for
>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." What's going on?
>>
>> A:
>> For some reason the installation of SP2 can cause a file called
>> "AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the
>> Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.
>>
>> What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that
>> program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the
>> AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program. Not
>> everyone who installs SP2 will have this problem, but we've had
>> several calls and emails about it.
>>
>> Fortunately there is a backup of the file living on your hard drive.
>>
>> Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and
>> open the "WINDOWS" folder.
>>
>> Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances
>> are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit
>> "Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.
>>
>> (I DID THE ABOVE AND THERE ARE NO SYSTEM32 OR AUTOEXEC.NT FILES THERE.
>> IN FACT, I DID A SERACH AND THERE ARE TWO SYSTEM32 FILES IN OTHER
>> PROGRAM FOLDERS, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS AND DOING AN SEARCH FOR THE
>> AUTOEXECT.NT DID NOT FIND ANY RESULTS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. PLEASE
>> READ ON...
>>
>> Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt"
>> and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to
>> SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to
>> replace the old one-click "Yes".
>>
>> YES, THE REPAIR FOLDER IS THERE, BUT IT IS EMPTY. ANY OTHER
>> SUGGESTIONS PLEASE/
>>
>> MARK
>>

>Do you have your computer set up to show all system and hidden files? You
>can set it up thru 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>View

As far as I can tell, everything is set up to show everything. Now
what can I do?

Mark

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:06:10 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>

>>"M. FERRANTE" <manthonyferrante@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I went to where you said and this is what it said. I will comment also
>>> on what did not happen:
>>>
>>> Q:
>>> After updating to XP Service Pack 2 when I go to install some programs
>>> I get a message that says, "The system file is not suitable for
>>> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." What's going on?
>>>
>>> A:
>>> For some reason the installation of SP2 can cause a file called
>>> "AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the
>>> Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.
>>>
>>> What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that
>>> program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the
>>> AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program. Not
>>> everyone who installs SP2 will have this problem, but we've had
>>> several calls and emails about it.
>>>
>>> Fortunately there is a backup of the file living on your hard drive.
>>>
>>> Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and
>>> open the "WINDOWS" folder.
>>>
>>> Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances
>>> are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit
>>> "Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.
>>>
>>> (I DID THE ABOVE AND THERE ARE NO SYSTEM32 OR AUTOEXEC.NT FILES THERE.
>>> IN FACT, I DID A SERACH AND THERE ARE TWO SYSTEM32 FILES IN OTHER
>>> PROGRAM FOLDERS, BUT NOT IN WINDOWS AND DOING AN SEARCH FOR THE
>>> AUTOEXECT.NT DID NOT FIND ANY RESULTS ANYWHERE ON MY COMPUTER. PLEASE
>>> READ ON...
>>>
>>> Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt"
>>> and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to
>>> SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to
>>> replace the old one-click "Yes".
>>>
>>> YES, THE REPAIR FOLDER IS THERE, BUT IT IS EMPTY. ANY OTHER
>>> SUGGESTIONS PLEASE/
>>>
>>> MARK
>>>

>>Do you have your computer set up to show all system and hidden files? You
>>can set it up thru 'My Computer'>Tools>Folder Options>View
>>
> As far as I can tell, everything is set up to show everything. Now
> what can I do?

As far as what I read of your post, the system32 is a folder, not a file.
And in that folder is the autoexec.nt file. The 2 system32 files you found,
you said they were in your programs folder, which programs? It could be
possible that one of your installed programs conflicts with sp2.
I know I had your problem too at first with sp2, but for the life of me I
cannot remember how I solved it :(
I am almost thinking it had something to do with stylexp.......which has
been updated now, but then it conflicted big time. Still, I don't use it
anymore.
I also remember reading the same article that you quoted here too, and
having problems finding the stuff. I think I rolled back to sp1, then at a
later date I updated again. I have sp2 on cd (they sent it to me for free),
and it went a lot smoother the second time around.

Ozymandias

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004

You MUST have a windows\system32 folder or Windows would not be
running! Go to Windows Explorer, click on the "tools" menu, then on
"folder options. Under "hidden files and folder" section make sure
that there IS a check mark in the "show hidden files and folders" box.
Finally go down 2 spaces and make sure there is NOT a check mark in
the "hide protected operating system files" box and say "Yes" when you
are asked if you are certain. I also commend that you elect NOT to
"hide extensions for known file types" After applying these changes
the system32 folder and the contents of the repair folder should show
up. On one of my computers the autoexec.nt file would regularly
disappear until I made it a read only file.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:29:34 -0500, Ozymandias <now@then.com> wrote:

>You MUST have a windows\system32 folder or Windows would not be
>running! Go to Windows Explorer, click on the "tools" menu, then on
>"folder options. Under "hidden files and folder" section make sure
>that there IS a check mark in the "show hidden files and folders" box.
>Finally go down 2 spaces and make sure there is NOT a check mark in
>the "hide protected operating system files" box and say "Yes" when you
>are asked if you are certain. I also commend that you elect NOT to
>"hide extensions for known file types" After applying these changes
>the system32 folder and the contents of the repair folder should show
>up. On one of my computers the autoexec.nt file would regularly
>disappear until I made it a read only file.

I did as you suggested and yes, then the System32 folder shows up.
Within that folder there is a config.nt file, but no autoexec.nt file.
I went to Repair as an earlier person suggested and there are not
files listed there. I think did a search for autoexec.nt thought files
and folders and it could not find one anywhere. Next step I should try
please?

Thank you and everyone else for your much-appreciated help.

Mark Ferrante
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Do a google search for it and see if you can find it in download form
somewhere. Also, do searches on your machine using both AUTOEXEC.NT and
autoexec.nt. Although it should show both ways, better safe than sorry :)
I have a backup copy of my windows xp in it's original install state on
another drive. I think I found my autoexec.nt there.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:23:05 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Do a google search for it and see if you can find it in download form
>somewhere. Also, do searches on your machine using both AUTOEXEC.NT and
>autoexec.nt. Although it should show both ways, better safe than sorry :)
>I have a backup copy of my windows xp in it's original install state on
>another drive. I think I found my autoexec.nt there.

Thank you and everyone who tried to help. I did as you said and found
a place to download off the Internet. Go here and check out this
webstie where I found it (through Google):

http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xpservicepack2.htm

Again, thanks!
Mark

>"M. FERRANTE" <manthonyferrante@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:29:34 -0500, Ozymandias <now@then.com> wrote:
>>
>>>You MUST have a windows\system32 folder or Windows would not be
>>>running! Go to Windows Explorer, click on the "tools" menu, then on
>>>"folder options. Under "hidden files and folder" section make sure
>>>that there IS a check mark in the "show hidden files and folders" box.
>>>Finally go down 2 spaces and make sure there is NOT a check mark in
>>>the "hide protected operating system files" box and say "Yes" when you
>>>are asked if you are certain. I also commend that you elect NOT to
>>>"hide extensions for known file types" After applying these changes
>>>the system32 folder and the contents of the repair folder should show
>>>up. On one of my computers the autoexec.nt file would regularly
>>>disappear until I made it a read only file.
>>
>> I did as you suggested and yes, then the System32 folder shows up.
>> Within that folder there is a config.nt file, but no autoexec.nt file.
>> I went to Repair as an earlier person suggested and there are not
>> files listed there. I think did a search for autoexec.nt thought files
>> and folders and it could not find one anywhere. Next step I should try
>> please?
>>
>> Thank you and everyone else for your much-appreciated help.
>>
>> Mark Ferrante
>> Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:
>>
>> http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Oh wow, I actually helped someone :)
Your welcome, enjoy your sims.