olski1

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Hello,

I Built my system about a month ago. Having problems during gaming. Most games play fine Crysis, Far Cry 2 . however, during games such as NFS Undercover, Sims 3, GTA IV, etc. the computer resets randomly. Lowering graphics settings seems to prolong the problem, but it eventually does reset.

Thought it was a heat problem so i went out and bought a Noctua heatsink and 6 new thermaltake fans. I set out to monitor the voltage and temperatures of the CPU, MB, GPU, with asus probe when gaming. MB hit 40 Degrees, CPU hit 30 degrees, and the GPU hit 50 degrees. The voltages Didnt Fluctuate at all and were all inside the threshold. Lowering the heat helped to prolong the problem further but it did eventually reset after about an hour. Tried a multitude of drivers for my components and a full reinstall of OS. But the problem still exists. Thinking Its Power Related, But i still don't understand why cooling it down helps. 600w Enough? Any Ideas?

Cheers
Olski

Specs

Asus P5Q Pro MB Intel P45 Chipset
Asus 9800gtx+ 512Mb GPU
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 CPU
4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Seagate 1TB HDD
Auzentech HD X-Plosion Audio
NZXT Apollo case ATX (5 Fans)
Noctua 92mm Heatsink

Thermaltake Toughpower 600w PSU (SLI)

kevin1212

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Sounds like a power supply problem, but that is supposed to be a capable power supply. Regardless, you could try testing with a different power supply, one that is garunteed working and capable... assuming you can get your hands on one without having to buy it.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Although 600W should be more than enough for a setup like yours, I'd still suggest you to chech the PSU, likt the poster befor me said. Since you have non-stock coolers, temperatures couldn't be the problem. But who knows... Is outside air drawn into the case as well? Not much use of good coolers if they have no cold air.

olski1

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the help guys,

Outside Air temp At the moment is no more than 20 degrees at a time. so dont think it is an issue, however it does seem to improve things slightly when its colder. The reason i bought this PSU was because i thought it was more than enough juice for the setup. Has good reviews aswell. guess the next step is trying to find a bigger psu to try!!!! Not going to be easy haha

Cheers

olski

Specs

Asus P5Q Pro MB Intel P45 Chipset
Asus 9800gtx+ 512Mb GPU
Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 CPU
4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Seagate 1TB HDD
Auzentech HD X-Plosion Audio
NZXT Apollo case ATX (5 Fans)
Noctua 92mm Heatsink
Thermaltake Toughpower 600w PSU (SLI)

kevin1212

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
It is a good enough psu, but the reason it should still be tested is that you may have been unlucky enough to have bought a faulty one.