Adding pci sata card + samsun blu ray prevents IDE boot

jgjgjg

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I've got an older system (no sata ports). I'm trying to add a samsung internal blu ray drive.

I have to do this by adding a PCI slot SATA adapter. Here is what happens:

1. System before additions works fine.
2. Add the card. Works fine, driver installs fine.
3. Add the blue ray player. System refuses to boot. It gives the "no boot disk" error. I can see where the card see the blu ray drive, and it's apparently trying to boot from that drive or something. The system appears to stop querying the main hard drive AFTER the SATA card is recognized. BIOS DOES see the IDE drive BEFORE it sees the SATA card.

But after, no love. Any ideas?

jgjgjg

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
And it gets weirder. If I:

1. unplug the blu ray
2. Boot to the point of the windows splash screen then'
3. quickly plug the blu ray back in, everything works. Including the blu ray.

There is some form of fubaration happening right at boot.

in your bios, what is your device boot order?

if the blueray drive is in this list try taking it out of the list and see if this clears things up. typically your hard drive should take priority. the only thing with a greater priority is typically a dvd drive (if you want to be able to boot from dvd..like the windows disk) but this is optional (as you can change ti back later)

the same sort of hang happens if you have a dvd in the dvd drive and you boot up. the pc tries to check to see if it can boot from disk before it looks at the hard drive. although typically after 5-20sec it will bypass this.

jgjgjg

Distinguished
May 12, 2006

The blu-ray isn't in the boot order. The system doesn't see it until the bios opening screen is finished, then it picks up the card. Once it picks up the card, the card picks up the drive, then the problem occurs.

I tried disconnecting the EIDE drive, and plugging a SATA HDD into the card. The HDD had win 7 install. It wouldn't boot from that either. It's very strange.