Nvidia 9600gt &World of warcraft

Knighthawk375

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I installed a Nvidia 9600gt on this system and upgraded the power supply to a 500W i was told that this would be a good video card for World of Warcraft but i am getting crappy fps while playing its between 5fps at some points and 15fps is there anything that i can do to get more out of this system...any help would be appreciated

This is my system specs
its a Gateway Gt5676
CPU and Memory
Processor Brand: AMD
Processor Class: Phenom X4
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Processor Technology: AMD LIVE!
Processor Number: 9600
Installed Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 3600 MHz
Cache Size: 2 MB
Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Maximum Memory: 8 GB
Number of Installed Processors: 1
Maximum Number of Processors: 1
System Chipset: AMD 780G
Storage
Included Drives: DVD±RW / DVD-RAM
Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GBX2
Drive Controllers: Serial ATA
Monitor and Graphics
Video Integration: Integrated
Display Type: None.
Communications and Networking
Modem Speed: 56 Kbps
Network Support: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
Connectors
Interface Provided: VGA, Phone line, HDMI, Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T
Expansion
Slot Types Provided: PCI, Processor, Memory, PCI Express x1, PCI Express x16

Solution
WoW's graphics aren't particularly challenging, and this is intentional so the game runs reasonably well on low spec systems. But understand that it *is* fairly demanding of processor and memory - especially in crowded areas.

Since you have a multi core processor, there is a way to tell the game there is more processor available to use. Essentially, you go into the config file (WTF folder: config.wtf) and change the affinity value to better correspond to the processor type you have. Open the config.wtf file with your favorite text editor. There is an entry near the top called:

SET processAffinityMask "*"

where the * is a number. The possibilities are 3 for a dual. 7 for a Triple, and for your Quad, the max number it...

Jorgey88

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
You might want to recheck the drivers. I've had issues with some ATI cards in the past with ultra low fps ratings, such as 3-5 with a 1300 Pro series ATI, but currently I use a 9500GT, lower model than your 9600, and get 200FPS on low settings and 40-60fps on high settings. Your PSU should be fine and everything in your specs seem to be great. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us is where you can find the drivers from NVidia, but if that comes to no avail, also remember Dalaran is crowded in that game, it could be due to a latency for Dalaran data *even if your latency is below 300ms, just keep the information flow in mind* and try a place like outlands to be sure it just isn't the people that like to sit around in the city and do nothing :p

WoW's graphics aren't particularly challenging, and this is intentional so the game runs reasonably well on low spec systems. But understand that it *is* fairly demanding of processor and memory - especially in crowded areas.

Since you have a multi core processor, there is a way to tell the game there is more processor available to use. Essentially, you go into the config file (WTF folder: config.wtf) and change the affinity value to better correspond to the processor type you have. Open the config.wtf file with your favorite text editor. There is an entry near the top called:

SET processAffinityMask "*"

where the * is a number. The possibilities are 3 for a dual. 7 for a Triple, and for your Quad, the max number it can use is 15. (for the i7 guys: 31 for 6, and 255 for all 8) This is different from telling your OS to pin the game to a given core. What it does is tell the game how many cores (virtual or not) are available to handle whatever threads are available.

Be advised that simply maxxing out the value for your CPU isn't necessarily the most effective approach. So for your Quad, you might want to try 7 instead of 15.

Check these threads:

From the Warcraft Support Forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1778017311&ST=US-2827325-LXWTbKxu4bk0WfXlatDdUhFvjhwnNYFhfHk&rhtml=true

AnandTech: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=2310148

Solution

Knighthawk375

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Thx so far i have done what u said i see a slight performance increase but not much im going to have to see when i raid later how i perform i running on a 22inch LCD not sure if that makes a big difference in game play but i have most of my settings on low which is kinda disappointing

Snowbum

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
download driversweeper pro and install.
go to control panel, add/remove programs and uninstall video card driver
boot into safemode, run driver sweeper pro
restart computer, install new drivers.

Blizzard must have added alot to Wow's graphics. I hear alot of people being disappointed at the fps they get. I had a 6800gt back in the day that could max this game out lol

Knighthawk375

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
i also forgot to mention that i am running vista 64bit ....also i went to friends house the other day im trying to figure out why my World of Warcraft is using 2x as much memory as his its using about 1gb and his runs half that