DirecTv needs to turn up the quality control

I have a [new] DirecTV tivo box & a high end Sony direct view tube tv.
It seems the weak link in picture quality these days is that DirecTv is
spreading its bandwidth (for lack of a better term) too thin.

I know that they take a look at each show & based on the amount of
action in the show turn the meter up or down so to speak. A talk show
for instance with little movement on screen requires less than a football
game where there is much detail a fast action movement.

This problem is VERY APPARENT on show with dim lighting (night scenes)
or where the show is presented in letter boxed format with black bars at
the top and bottom of the tv picture, which is becoming more common
these days. You see pixilation and squirmy distortions.
The only shows with a decent picture are the Pay Per Views.

--Phil--

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
19 answers Last reply
More about directv turn quality control

    PHIL wrote:
    > I have a [new] DirecTV tivo box & a high end Sony direct view tube tv.
    > It seems the weak link in picture quality these days is that DirecTv is
    > spreading its bandwidth (for lack of a better term) too thin.
    >
    > I know that they take a look at each show & based on the amount of
    > action in the show turn the meter up or down so to speak. A talk show
    > for instance with little movement on screen requires less than a football
    > game where there is much detail a fast action movement.
    >
    > This problem is VERY APPARENT on show with dim lighting (night scenes)
    > or where the show is presented in letter boxed format with black bars at
    > the top and bottom of the tv picture, which is becoming more common
    > these days. You see pixilation and squirmy distortions.
    > The only shows with a decent picture are the Pay Per Views.
    >
    > --Phil--

    You're not the first to say so. The only sad think is that the cable
    companies do the same thing or worse, even though they have a lot more
    available bandwidth. I guess they want to make sure they get you that
    sixth home shopping channel.

    Randy S.

    > You're not the first to say so. The only sad think is that the cable
    > companies do the same thing or worse, even though they have a lot more
    > available bandwidth. I guess they want to make sure they get you that
    > sixth home shopping channel.
    >
    > Randy S.

    You are right. When i had digital cable from comcast, the compression was
    much worse than directv but when i had digital cable from time warner cable
    in milwaukee, it was very nice and clear. Each area and provider is just is
    different.

    Had both Directv and Dish for a year in 2003. I perfer Dish . Dish has
    a more uniform picture and it seems to hide any flaws in the back
    grounds better. With Directv the picture was sharper for closeups on
    the faces but the backgrounds pixelated, and had more macroblocking
    etc. Drove me crazy. Dish has been accused of being a softer picture
    but I like it. It depends on what you are used to and what you perfer.

    --
    MikeD-C05, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

    On 16 Mar 2005 03:50:27 GMT, Invalid_Email@dot.com(PHIL) wrote:

    >A talk show
    >for instance with little movement on screen requires less than a football
    >game where there is much detail a fast action movement.

    The data compression on Sunday Ticket is terrible too by the way.
    During football season they have to run the regular channels and all
    the football games at the same time and they compress even more! Only
    the HDTV games are watchable. The SDTV versions are really, really
    bad.

    "Ohiyesa" <ohiyesa@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:1111163332.5ebb7444bda2d631e54f0a8b3a11312e@teranews...
    > On 16 Mar 2005 03:50:27 GMT, Invalid_Email@dot.com(PHIL) wrote:
    >
    > >A talk show
    > >for instance with little movement on screen requires less than a football
    > >game where there is much detail a fast action movement.
    >
    > The data compression on Sunday Ticket is terrible too by the way.
    > During football season they have to run the regular channels and all
    > the football games at the same time and they compress even more! Only
    > the HDTV games are watchable. The SDTV versions are really, really
    > bad.

    None of the local channels on the spot beam transponders is affected
    by NFL ST broadcasts. Only the channels sharing transponders with
    NFL ST channels on Sundays can be affected by football programming.

    BTW, most of the dynamic shopping channels are not available on Sundays.
    The "dynamic" channels are those that don't broadcast 24 hours each day.

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:02:13 -0500, Sean wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:53:50 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Exactly why I gave up cable and went to DirecTv.
    >
    > Hopefully it's not raining. Otherwise you're wondering if any channels
    > at all will be on.

    Wow... maybe we've been giving Sean too much credit. For a while now, I've
    assumed he knew better, but was just a troll trying to provoke anger or
    somesuch.

    But, now we can see that he has been brainwashed by his cable company to
    the point that he actually _believes_ in the "rain fade" myth.

    Poor guy.

    --
    Lenroc

    Lenroc <lenroc@nospamforyou.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > But, now we can see that he has been brainwashed by his cable company to
    > the point that he actually _believes_ in the "rain fade" myth.

    I don't know why you call "rain fade" a myth; over the past 4 years of
    DirecTV watching I've maybe had a total of 4 hours of programming
    affected due to loss of signal (or extreme pixellation due to drop out)
    because of rain or snow. One program didn't record at all, due to loss
    os signal during a heavy snow storm.

    My normal signal is over 90% on 31 of the transponders (100% on one of
    them), and at 60% on the spot-transponder for a region I don't get, so
    it's not a setup issue.

    Rain fade is a fact. However, it's nowhere near as bad as people make
    out; 4 hours spread over 4 years is pretty good going! DirecTV is one
    of the most reliable systems I've seen.

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:42:11 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:

    > Lenroc <lenroc@nospamforyou.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> But, now we can see that he has been brainwashed by his cable company to
    >> the point that he actually _believes_ in the "rain fade" myth.
    >
    > I don't know why you call "rain fade" a myth; over the past 4 years of
    > DirecTV watching I've maybe had a total of 4 hours of programming
    > affected due to loss of signal (or extreme pixellation due to drop out)
    > because of rain or snow.

    4 hours in 4 years is, from my calculations, 5 nines of uptime (99.999%).

    My cable goes out more than that, and they can't even blame rain.

    The myth is that Rain Fade is enough of a problem to not get DirecTV for,
    not that severe rain can have an affect on the signal.

    --
    Lenroc

    > I don't know why you call "rain fade" a myth; over the past 4 years of
    > DirecTV watching I've maybe had a total of 4 hours of programming
    > affected due to loss of signal (or extreme pixellation due to drop out)
    > because of rain or snow. One program didn't record at all, due to loss
    > os signal during a heavy snow storm.
    >
    > My normal signal is over 90% on 31 of the transponders (100% on one of
    > them), and at 60% on the spot-transponder for a region I don't get, so
    > it's not a setup issue.
    >
    > Rain fade is a fact. However, it's nowhere near as bad as people make
    > out; 4 hours spread over 4 years is pretty good going! DirecTV is one
    > of the most reliable systems I've seen.

    Rain fade is not a "Myth" per se, but it is defintely one of those
    things that is perpetually overemphasized, probably at the urging of the
    cable industry. The truth is, as you've noted, that it rarely occurs,
    and even then only for short periods during extreme events.

    4 hours of outage over 4 years is ((1-4/(4*365*24))*100) 99.99%
    reliability, a number that cable only *wishes* it could even approach.
    Part of that is not their fault, any idiot with a backhoe can disrupt
    cable for dozens to thousands of customers. Unless you have an
    intercontinental ballistic missile, it's tough for anyone to disrupt a
    satellite source ;-).

    When we suffered through 4 hurricanes down here this summer, we lost
    power once for 3 days, and cable for 10 (I was lucky). I can't give
    Satellite an advantage over cable for the first 3 days, since, unless
    you had a generator, you weren't going to be watching TV anyway, but the
    remaining 7 days Satellite had it all over Cable. I saw a lot more
    Dishes sprout up in my area after that time.

    We also ate a lot of melting ice cream ;-).

    Randy S.

    > 4 hours in 4 years is, from my calculations, 5 nines of uptime
    (99.999%).

    One of us is off a nine, I suspect it's me ;-).

    Randy S.

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:20:09 -0700, Lenroc
    <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:42:11 -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:
    >
    >> Lenroc <lenroc@nospamforyou.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> But, now we can see that he has been brainwashed by his cable company to
    >>> the point that he actually _believes_ in the "rain fade" myth.
    >>
    >> I don't know why you call "rain fade" a myth; over the past 4 years of
    >> DirecTV watching I've maybe had a total of 4 hours of programming
    >> affected due to loss of signal (or extreme pixellation due to drop out)
    >> because of rain or snow.
    >
    >4 hours in 4 years is, from my calculations, 5 nines of uptime (99.999%).
    >
    >My cable goes out more than that, and they can't even blame rain.
    >
    >The myth is that Rain Fade is enough of a problem to not get DirecTV for,
    >not that severe rain can have an affect on the signal.

    The myth is that you are not an ignorant gasbag.

    Lousy sat reception is a fact. No matter how you want to downplay
    and make excuses for it.

    Sean

    I've had DirectTV since it became available in my area.
    I was the second person in line at Circuit City the very first
    day it became available. So for years and years and years,
    and I doubt I've even had 4 hours of "rainfade" total in all those
    years.....

    Stephen Harris wrote:

    >Lenroc <lenroc@nospamforyou.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >Rain fade is a fact. However, it's nowhere near as bad as people make
    >out; 4 hours spread over 4 years is pretty good going! DirecTV is one
    >of the most reliable systems I've seen.

    --
    Ric Seyler

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:32:02 -0500, Sean wrote:

    > Lousy sat reception is a fact.

    The puzzle of Sean's personality is becoming much clearer...

    We've known for a while that Sean is bitter because he can't get his TiVo
    to work right (he complains that he had problems with it changing channels
    on his cable box, a 'problem' that most don't have, and the few that do
    can fix it with a few minutes of effort). So now he's against TiVo, trying
    desperately to justify his non-investment (more like rental money down the
    toilet) in the Cable Co's DVR.

    Apparently, he's similarly against DirecTV because he couldn't get good
    reception. I wonder, was he too cheap to pay someone $20-$50 to come point
    the dish? Or maybe he used the dish for target practice and then
    complained about reception?

    He's bitter, because he knows that DirecTiVos are better, but he's already
    given up on them because of his "lousy reception".

    I can empathaize, Sean. I want DirecTV, too, but I have no view of the
    Southern sky from my location. But I didn't get as spurned as you... I
    haven't fallen to the depths that I'm willing to use a Cable Co DVR. I'm
    very happy with my Standalone TiVo, and I think you could be too, if you
    gave it another shot.

    Or, put another way:

    Sean, "Lousy sat reception" is another Cable Company myth. I know you are
    a Comcast Rumpswab, but you're losing what little credibility you never
    had by parroting their sales bullets.

    --
    Lenroc

    "Stephen Harris" <usenet@spuddy.org> wrote

    > Rain fade is a fact. However, it's nowhere near as bad as people make
    > out; 4 hours spread over 4 years is pretty good going!

    My cable fades when it rains.

    -MT

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:56:00 +0000, Mike Tyner wrote:

    > My cable fades when it rains.

    That's likely a wiring problem, most likely on your end. At some point,
    insulation on one of your cables has worn thin, and when it rains, the
    bare wire is finding a puddle...

    That's what I've heard, at least.

    --
    Lenroc

    "Mike Tyner" <mtyner@mindspring.com> writes:

    > "Stephen Harris" <usenet@spuddy.org> wrote
    >
    > > Rain fade is a fact. However, it's nowhere near as bad as people make
    > > out; 4 hours spread over 4 years is pretty good going!
    >
    > My cable fades when it rains.

    I used to have cable rain fade, too, since my provider (Adelphia out
    of Springfield, VT) was getting most of their content from various
    satellite feeds. All-in-all, that setup was the worst of all words:
    rain fade, digital artificting, *and* horrible analog noise.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    rich@kaszeta.org

    salfter@salfter.diespammersdie.dyndns.org (Scott Alfter) shaped the electrons to say:
    >When I first moved to Las Vegas, you could count on the cable going out when
    >it rained like you can count on the sun rising in the east. The whole
    >network was replaced a few years ago to enable things like bidirectional
    >cable-modem service. As a side effect, rain doesn't bother the new network.

    Heh - this reminds me of an old work war story:
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/zonereyrie/175851.html

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    Lenroc (lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > 4 hours in 4 years is, from my calculations, 5 nines of uptime (99.999%).
    >
    > My cable goes out more than that, and they can't even blame rain.

    My local Comcast has no problem blaming the rain for their outages. Their
    underground wires are of such poor quality that a good soaking will short
    out entire neighborhoods...over, and over, and over. I regularly asked
    for (and received) money off my bill because of day-long outages. As
    soon as I moved out of an apartment, I got DirecTV and never looked back.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But
    | then you get to the end and a gorilla starts
    | throwing barrels at you."
    | -- Philip J. Fry, "Futurama"

Tivo Home Theatre