Sign in with
Your question

SDRAM

Last response: in Memory
January 14, 2010 7:55:29 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 built in 2000. It has 256mb of SDRAM, 3.3v, DIMM, non-buffered, non-ECC, CL=2, PC133. I want/need to add an additional 256mb. I see modules out there that are dirt cheap (less than $6), but these all have a CL of 3. Can I go with one of these cheapo's? I also found modules with a CL=2 for just a little more $. Any recommendations? Also, can I add just one new 256mb module with my old one still in the tower or should I just upgrade both at once to new ones? I'm wondering if technology has changed and I'll face incompatability issues if I keep the old.

More about : sdram

a c 128 } Memory
January 14, 2010 10:33:29 PM

Get what you can for the least $$. Your main concern is how much each memory slot will recognize. Going with the same size is best. If you want a cheap upgrade, look for a motherboard package on craigslist. I live near austin tx. On their craigslist, someone had a genuine Intel 865 motherboard with 3.0ghtz cpu and 1gig of ddr pc3200 for only $35 two days ago. If you can learn to change out a motherboard, you'll get more for your $$.
m
l
January 15, 2010 3:53:55 PM

o1die said:
Get what you can for the least $$. Your main concern is how much each memory slot will recognize. Going with the same size is best. If you want a cheap upgrade, look for a motherboard package on craigslist. I live near austin tx. On their craigslist, someone had a genuine Intel 865 motherboard with 3.0ghtz cpu and 1gig of ddr pc3200 for only $35 two days ago. If you can learn to change out a motherboard, you'll get more for your $$.

I will get the same size. Do you think that I'm getting anything better by spending $35 for a new Crucial module as opposed to $8 for a used one? The spec's are the same.
m
l
Related resources
!