Sign in with
Your question

Memory problem or motherboard problem?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 21, 2011 8:15:22 AM

Hello,
i just noticed that my dual channel RAM is running on single channel, why is that?

i have a 2 GB kit of 1GB each stick, which are dual channel, = OCZ platinum revision 2

i had another memory kit installed with that one, but apparently, one stick failed on me, i sent them to RMA with OCZ (which sucks BTW because it takes months for your RMA to be resolved)

do you think my motherboard has something to do with this?

MSI P7N SLI-FI

i also overclocked my Q6600 to 3GHz, (didnt overclocked RAM at all) which is perfectly stable.
August 21, 2011 8:42:40 AM

I would suggest checking your motherboard manual to see what your matching RAM slots are, you might have to move 1 of the sticks to a different slot. Most of the time they go like 1/3 or 2/4 are for dual channel, they are often color coded as well. This would be what I would check first.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2011 9:42:07 AM

Most of the time the MOBO's DRAM banks are color coded....just match the colors up....each channel should be a different color
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2011 2:25:28 PM

If your not running in dual channel with 2 sticks, then you have them in the wrong slots. Read your manual.

Just because your not purposely overclocking your ram, does not mean your not. Raising the fsb to overclock the cpu, automatically overclocks the ram and can cause it to burn up.

Can you verify that your ram is only running at the stock speed (assuming 800mhz?) when your cpu is overclocked?
August 21, 2011 5:36:24 PM

geekapproved said:
If your not running in dual channel with 2 sticks, then you have them in the wrong slots. Read your manual.

Just because your not purposely overclocking your ram, does not mean your not. Raising the fsb to overclock the cpu, automatically overclocks the ram and can cause it to burn up.

Can you verify that your ram is only running at the stock speed (assuming 800mhz?) when your cpu is overclocked?

it is running at 800MHz, my mobo has 2 green slots and 2 orange slots, right know as i type they are located on the orange slots, the sticks are dual channel, the manual doesnt say anything about the memory, thats why im asking lol
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2011 7:51:12 PM

In BIOS check to see if your running them ganged or unganged....make sure they are unganged....BTW look above eash DRAM bank and look for something like ....A1, A2, B1, B2....A1, A2 is the ones your DIMMs should be in....when in doubt just change them over to the other banks(green)
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 8:19:25 PM

If there is even the slightest difference between your two memory modules then dual channel will not work. Are the modules the same make and model and timings?
!