Ram speeds (ddr 2 slower ram compared to ddr3 faster ram) for gaming

I'm thinking that the difference between ddr2 and ddr3 for gaming using the same setup regarding processor and graphics card isn't that much different. Comparing 800mhz ddr2 ram right up to ddr3 1600mhz ram. Is it true that 1600mhz will at the most give a performance increase of 0-15 more FPS? but will not increase 15 FPS and possibly not even exceed 10? Is buying 4gb of ddr2 800 mhz better for value or 4gb of 1333mhz? Also could someone tell me if the difference between 800mhz ram and 1333 mhz isn't much; that in games there is not much performance increase in games.
92 answers Last reply
More about speeds slower compared ddr3 faster gaming
  1. Generally, DDR2 is 'faster' (CAS Latency) than DDR3 but has less bandwidth (PC3 12800 for example).
    DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) CL5 vs DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) CL7
    You'll have to also talk about the motherboards and the specific game when talking about performance differences.
    Again, generally, there isnt much difference in performance.
    Usually, you'd get a larger increase in performance with a higher CPU clock speed than upgrading or overclocking/tweaking the RAM.
  2. xfx 8300 motherboard micro atx. Corsair 800mhz 4gb ram.
    hmm games in general. Which games specifically benefit from more faster ram than 800mhz. If there is an increase surely not more than 15FPS? comparing 800mhz to 1333mhz or 1600mhz.
    Crysis/ first person shooter, Turok, G.R.A.W., rainbow six vegas 2 etc.
  3. There aren't a lot of comparisons but I did find some older stuff at XbitLabs from 2 years ago:

They pretty much confirm your thinking there isnt a large difference in performance.
  4. ddr3 ram must have uses for other things then? or to just very slighly boost up performance? So i havn't really made a mistake buying ddr2 board just for gaming then?
  5. i'm running an am2+ board.
  6. Kudos for posting that info =)
  7. what's this timing thing. the 5-5-5-15. Is this edited during overclocking of the FSB. Can i change this actually to make it run faster and where would i do that, yes in the bios and in memory configuration.
  8. kudo for who, wr2?
  9. Here are two sets of Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
    One is CL5 (5-5-5-18) 1.8V and the other is CL4 (4-4-4-12) 2.1V
    Some motherboards BIOS allow you to tweak the settings of the RAM. You could 'tighten' the timing of the RAM by changing the CL (maybe adding a little voltage would be required) to run CL5 RAM at CL4.
    You could also run the FSB faster (overclocking) and increase the bandwidth that way.
  10. to make it more complicated 5-5-5-15 ddr3@1600mhz
    is faster than 5-5-5-15@1333mhz

as in the latency is lower because the clock is higher..

there is a conversion sheet somewhere that ranks real latencies
    in order

If I remember right something like 5-5-5-15@1333 is about the same as 4-4-4-12@800

but you get the general idea

in that comparison the 1333 has more bandwidth but the real latencies are aprox the same.
  11. O right, so changing the timings you would have to apply more voltage. I'd rather not overvolt the ram. yeah mine is 5-5-5-18 xms2. bargain price - £42 for 4GB. I don't know how much in dollars. Is ddr2 800mhz 4gb quite alot cheaper than ddr3 1600mhz 4gb or 1333mhz? Is the price to performance not worth it either? Just for gaming. How much slower would a phenom ii be on a ddr2 system? Would the difference be minimul comapred to it on am3?
  12. IMO If you already own Corsair XMS DDR2 800 CL5 it makes no sense to spend any amount to get any DDR3 upgrade.
  13. no i'm saying that's how much my ram costed.
  14. apparently amd are bringing out energy efficient cpus in the future. My mobo accepts 95 watt cpus only. I'm wanting to know if the 955 processor will ever be reduced to 95 watts. Will it also stay black edition? Since i have a phenom ii 720 be. I can't believe how useful the unlocked multiplier is makes life soo much easier. They have brought out a 945 energy efficient processor but it's not black edition. Teh other version is. I'm hoping when in Q1 apparently when they bring out ee 955 it will still be black edition.
  15. Nashsafc said:
    kudo for who, wr2?

yep.... i was trying to find a similar graph and could not find one....
  16. wow you can put the 550 to 4ghz lol? have you tried its maximum overclocking
    or is 4 the most? Does the phenom ii 550 actually overclock better than athlon x2 (athlon I not II)
  17. Nashsafc said:
    wow you can put the 550 to 4ghz lol? have you tried its maximum overclocking
    or is 4 the most? Does the phenom ii 550 actually overclock better than athlon x2 (athlon I not II)

I can get 4.1Ghz but not stable enough for a bench.

4Ghz is stable though :

18. 47 degrees, is that idle? i don't get how there are 2 measurements, the core and the cpu. Should there just be the core or the cpu reading. For me with my zalman 9500nt with my case with lots of air vents i get 24 degrees idle for my phenom ii 720 at 3.2ghz. I don't know if that is true. The temperatures, do you have to edit the temperature ofsets or something?
  19. at the very bottom 22 which is one of the room temperature. People have said this can't be. When gaming it goes to 30 degrees.
  20. Nashsafc said:
    47 degrees, is that idle? i don't get how there are 2 measurements, the core and the cpu. Should there just be the core or the cpu reading. For me with my zalman 9500nt with my case with lots of air vents i get 24 degrees idle for my phenom ii 720 at 3.2ghz. I don't know if that is true. The temperatures, do you have to edit the temperature ofsets or something?

No, that screenshot was taken right aftter the bench finished.. Idle temps are 3.8/3.9c ...
  21. Always go by CPU temp and not by individual core temp.
  22. so 37 degrees then. So why does a core temp exist then. What's that for. It's not measuring the cpu temp. Individual core temperatures? Do processors that have smaller TDPs generally run less hot? Comparing a 95 watt processor to a 125 watt processor? Would the phenom ii 945 at 95 watt be cooler than the version at 125 watts generally?
  23. So you can measure what core is more active than the other. Basically a measurement that can be added up to get the overall CPU temp. Not sure why we need to see individual core temp since it is not relevant but it's there. A 95 watt CPU does run cooler than a 125 or 140 watt CPU. That is the main reason quads run hotter than duals. Kind of common sense, since a 4 cylinder motor requires a small radiator to cool the engine vs an 8 cylinder motor that needs a much bigger radiator.. While you wont see a big difference in heat if you compare a 95w to a 125w, there is quite a difference when you compare a 95w to a 140 or a 65w to a 125w etc....
  24. the phenom ii 945 as a 95 watt edition would in theory run cooler than a 945 125 watt edition then? How much cooler are you talking about, say with a stock heatsink, about 5 degrees more? The same stocksink for a 95 watt tdp cpu.
  25. I would say maybe a couple of degrees cooler, there are other factors to consider as well like ambient temp, airflow, CPU cooler, etc.... For example if I have a 125w CPU with a high end cooler and you have a 95w CPU with na stock cooler then you know my CPU will run cooler than your regardless.... Are you looking to purchase a CPU?
  26. no i'm just a bit pissed how my xfx 8300 motherboard has a 95 watt restriction. Anyway that's not ultimately bad is it? At least its not 65 watts which was my old pavilion slimline motherboard. 95 watt cpus are good gaming aren't they i'm guessing i can have the power ofa 955 processor using this phenom ii 720, and i can buy a 945 non be edition processor. Apparently it's not meant to be bad at overclocking though, it's bios is american megatrends. Seems to have voltage that goes up quite far. At the moment i'm trying to see if i can overclock pii 720 to 3.5ghz . I don't know what voltage to put it on.
  27. i have a zalman cnps 9500nt cooler anyway. i'm guessing that's adequate? For a 95 watt cpu? This is a micro atx gaming rig as well with a 19 inch 1280 x 1024 graphics card friendly monitor lol. So i can potentially get lots of FPS because of the smaller resolution and the monitor is resonably big as well. The case is brill, allows me to stick full height atx psu, decent size cpu cooler. Probably up to 165mm in height and i'm going to stick in a 5850 sometime to replace my GTS 250 eventually.
  28. i didn't buy this motherboard mistakenly, i thought that 95 watt was average for a motherboard of £50 but i see asus boards for 47 and they allow up to 140 watts. but then for a matx gaming rig would you say a 95 watt processor ie. 720 suited it better?
  29. Nashsafc said:
    no i'm just a bit pissed how my xfx 8300 motherboard has a 95 watt restriction. Anyway that's not ultimately bad is it? At least its not 65 watts which was my old pavilion slimline motherboard. 95 watt cpus are good gaming aren't they i'm guessing i can have the power ofa 955 processor using this phenom ii 720, and i can buy a 945 non be edition processor. Apparently it's not meant to be bad at overclocking though, it's bios is american megatrends. Seems to have voltage that goes up quite far. At the moment i'm trying to see if i can overclock pii 720 to 3.5ghz . I don't know what voltage to put it on.

95w CPU's are more than enough for gaming. I use an 80w CPU for gaming and my games run fine.

As far as voltage needed for 3.5Ghz, try 3.600/3.750v, same for the NB as well. You should be fine.
  30. WOW lol. i looked at a review and it told to increase the voltage by increments of 0.5 after 3.2ghz for every 100 mhz. So i don't need to change my motherboard for another one (another micro atx). I don't know for me i'm turning a bit into an enthusiast, a micro atx enthusiast, because i think full size atx cases are just wayy too big. I know it's the proper way how to do things, lol if i had got one though it wouldn't have fit into my desk properly.

hey you say to put for nb as well. is that in amd overclocking configuration, where can i find nb? Have you got an american megatrends board? i think i have seen it in the main overclocking menu, the cpu voltage though. Should i not do anything with the system voltage.
  31. You should see CPU voltage, cpu multiplier, NB voltage and NB multiplier. Of course my Bios is different than yours, but you still should have those values listed.
  32. i don't have an nb multipler, that's not the ht bus is it. Like 1000mhz?
  33. sorry typo, yes HT bus/multi .... I have mines at x10 2000Mhz
  34. on my motherboard this is what i have collected.

CPU Voltage Control
    Chipset Voltage Control
    Processor Voltage Control
    NB FID
    NB VID
    Alternative VID
    DRAM Voltage Control
  35. what are the values(options) for the NB FID, NB VID and Alt VID?
  36. nb vid and fid are nothing
    there are 2 digits at 00
    for both of them. For alternative vid it has all the voltages that are the same for the cpu voltages to chose from. Should i forget about the NB VID and NB FID? completely or does it show my mobo is rubbish?
  37. maybe i havn't touched the alternative vid that might be why?!?!
  38. Do you have a picture of your Bios?
  39. Private Message me so I can help ya out.

I have your Bios info....
  40. in amd cpu config it has nb vid
    nb fid
    processor voltage. Those seem the most important, cpu multipleri etc .
  41. you have a message.....

anyways Change CPU multiplier to x15.5

CPU voltage at 3.7/3.8 (later on you can lower the voltage if not needed)

SB voltage on Auto

dram voltage at whatever is specified from the manufacturer

make sure your RAM timings are correct

FSB can be raised as well (overclocking RAM)

Chipset voltage should be left on auto

MCP PCI-E Frequency at 100mhz or auto

Do you have an HT option?
  42. what's the sb voltage. Where can i find the message you sent as well. I can't find the message menu.
  43. if the ht bus is always stayin at 1000 since i have an am2+ motherboard. Can the voltage be left as it is? i don't have an "sb voltage" There is an alternative VID, which is editable bust should i not touch that. In amd config there is "processor voltage exactly" which i have put to 1.35, this does seem to edit the cpu voltage, when i look in cpuid it says the voltage which i have chnaged it to in the motherboard. So what is the cpu voltage then in the main screen. It has the same values. Could that possibly be representing the sb or whatever your saying?
    i have a HT option, it gives me an option to start at 200 going up in 200 everytime all the way to 2600. I've put it on 1000 at the moment, since i have not increased or decreased fsb. i'd prefer to overclock with the multiplier.
  44. This is your SB voltage :

http://www.imgx.org/view/full/20624_gp5ue

leave it on Auto for now

the HT can be left at 1000 as well
  45. On the right hand side of your screen on TOP you will see a box that shows your Profile, Threads and Messages ...
  46. O yes i found something. turned svid support on and come up with nb voltage it says. It has a list of available voltages to chose from. is this right? So i put this on auto?
    For all overclocks as well? Is this only for clocking the HT? If it goes over 1000 it needs more?
  47. i still can't find the messages as well, nothing has come up, check that the message was sent
  48. hey anyway last night i overclocked it to 3.5ghz with your settings. Seems to be running stable, need to do a test on OCCT. So don't fiddle with nb voltage then?
Ask a new question

Read More

DDR2 DDR3 RAM Gaming Components Product