Solved

Biostar TA880GU3+ Unable to Raid 5 Five 2TB Drives?

not sure if i got a bum motherboard or a bum hard drive. i am trying to do a raid 5 setup with five hitachi 2TB drives using the biostar TA880GU3+ motherboard. all five drives show up when i go into the bios:

>SATA 1 DEVICE : [HARD DRIVE]
>SATA 2 DEVICE : [HARD DRIVE]
>SATA 3 DEVICE : [HARD DRIVE]
>SATA 4 DEVICE : [HARD DRIVE]
>SATA 5 DEVICE : [HARD DRIVE]
>SATA 6 DEVICE : [ATAPI CDROM]

all looks good there. so i move on to the chipset configuration then southbridge chipset, then SB SATA configuration. I then choose from OnChip SATA Type from [Native IDE] to [RAID].

i save my changes and restart then press CTRL-F to enter the Option ROM/Raid Utility. I go to create a LD but only four of the five hard drives are listed below under "Drives Assignments".

i restart and go back to the bios. now, as it should, SATA 1 DEVICE - SATA 4 DEVICE are "hidden" (as they are now raid type). but SATA 5 DEVICE is still present and shows up as a hard drive.

does anyone have any idea here as to why SATA 5 DEVICE (same hard drive as the other four) doesn't switch to RAID Type while the other four SATA DEVICES did?

thanks so much.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about biostar ta880gu3 unable raid drives
  1. Best answer
    I have a similar configuration without the cdrom drive, just 5 hard drives. I went into southbridge chipset configuration, SB SATA configuration and changed SATA IDE Combined Mode from auto to disable. Once I made this change I was able to see all 5 hard drives in my raid utility.
  2. davidj_fsb said:
    I have a similar configuration without the cdrom drive, just 5 hard drives. I went into southbridge chipset configuration, SB SATA configuration and changed SATA IDE Combined Mode from auto to disable. Once I made this change I was able to see all 5 hard drives in my raid utility.

Hi there, thanks so much for this response. I had figured it out a while back doing it the method you described, but forgot to 'case close' it. I also setup a system disk in a similar fashion (configured it to be 'Raid Ready' in the Option Rom utility) since when you turn off IDE combined mode it 'kills' all the sata discs.

Thanks again bud!
  3. Best answer selected by vaticanslayer.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SATA Hard Drives Devices Storage