CM 690 II Advanced case

lwhennen

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hello, Im not sure if this is the correct forum so sorry if its not. I have a CM 690 II Advanced case and a 975 BE AMD Quad core and want to add more fans to the case and upgrade the heat sink so id like recommendations toward that.

Solution
i have my front, two left sides blowing in. i have the rear, and the two top blowing out. ( i keep my modem and router on top, the top rear fan helps to cool them)

on that right side fan,, are you sure the 15mm is thin enough? i thought it was made for 10mm thick fan, but has been a very long time since i looked. i would say blowing in, it is supposed to cool the back side of the cpu. i dont think blowing out would help much.

as long as you have good airflow in the main case body, and a good cooler, you do not really need that right side fan. i at one time wanted one as well, but my temps never got to a point that i thought it merited one. Also, i have my vent fans turned up to 100% and my intake fans only running at about 80%...

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
i have the same case..
the side panel can support 140mm fans. one will blow in on SLI/CF cards, a must! the upper one can vent in or out

you can have 2x120/140mm fans at the top of the case. they are somewhat hard to mount as you need to take the case apart to get screws in, but meh, it was more a pain, than difficult.

you should already have 1 120mm in the front of case, and a 120mm on the rear. i think both of those, if desired, can be upgraded to 140mm. i dont think its needed. they move a lot as is, but each to their own.

as for a cooler, you can easily fit any 92/120mm coolers in it. the cooler master hyper 212+ easily fits, and seems to be quite a popular cooler. it is also very affordable.
i am using a hyper 520N cooler. id go with the hyper 212+ as its a direct contact cooler, and seems to be not only cheaper than the 520N but it performs better
if you are interested in water cooling, all but the corsair H100( corsair products i mean) will fit. the H100 will just fit, but without you taking exact measurements, best to just stick with a corsair H80.

now, the H80 runs 100-120$ the hyper 212+ air cooled, runs 24.99$ so its really a matter of budget.

When it comes to your fans, honestly, id look for ones with fre shipping. otherwise you get 25$ worth of fans, and pay 25$ to ship them,,, doesnt seem like a good deal. the fans that came with your case are uber quiet. no after market fan that i have used is as quiet. in fact , the ones i have are damn loud. I bought a fan controller to rune them down when i am not gaming. when i am gaming, the volume is up so loud, i dont hear them.

lwhennen

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

Good reply but for the two 140mm fans on the left side when facing the front should they blow in or out and then the 80 x 15 on the right side in or out?

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
i have my front, two left sides blowing in. i have the rear, and the two top blowing out. ( i keep my modem and router on top, the top rear fan helps to cool them)

on that right side fan,, are you sure the 15mm is thin enough? i thought it was made for 10mm thick fan, but has been a very long time since i looked. i would say blowing in, it is supposed to cool the back side of the cpu. i dont think blowing out would help much.

as long as you have good airflow in the main case body, and a good cooler, you do not really need that right side fan. i at one time wanted one as well, but my temps never got to a point that i thought it merited one. Also, i have my vent fans turned up to 100% and my intake fans only running at about 80% since our case is full of that mesh material, i know it pulls what it needs to through any of that.

Solution

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
just another thing to remember if you get an after market cooler, make sure it is facing correctly. that hyper212+ will line up exactly with your rear vent fan. blows any cpu heat right out the back,, great design really.