Does Cingular drop long calls when roaming?

Last response: in Network Providers
February 27, 2005 4:20:15 PM

We've noticed that when travelling out of our normal Cingular area, our phones disconnect after 8 or 10 minutes of a call.
Around town we can converse for long periods of time but when we are out of town no calls last more than 10 minutes.

It's become so predictable that we are beginning to think it's done on purpose (getting paranoid?--yes whenever it involves Bell
South.)

This week my wife is in downtown San Diego. Every single call in her motel room with a max signal strength, disconnects after 8 or
10 minutes. San Francisco last week, same thing. This isn't occuring while we are moving around which I could understand. It occurs
when in fixed spots and only when the conversation goes on for awhile. No bad signals at all and then suddenly the call drops.
Battery is fully charged. Happens with V551 and same thing was happening with older Nokia last year.

Does Cingular, or whoever is carrying the signal when roaming, programming disconnects after a period of time for "foreign"
customers?
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:29:56 PM

"N Hamilton" <nedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> We've noticed that when travelling out of our normal Cingular area, our
> phones disconnect after 8 or 10 minutes of a call.
> Around town we can converse for long periods of time but when we are out
> of town no calls last more than 10 minutes.
>
> It's become so predictable that we are beginning to think it's done on
> purpose (getting paranoid?--yes whenever it involves Bell
> South.)
>
> This week my wife is in downtown San Diego. Every single call in her motel
> room with a max signal strength, disconnects after 8 or
> 10 minutes. San Francisco last week, same thing. This isn't occuring while
> we are moving around which I could understand. It occurs
> when in fixed spots and only when the conversation goes on for awhile. No
> bad signals at all and then suddenly the call drops.
> Battery is fully charged. Happens with V551 and same thing was happening
> with older Nokia last year.
>
> Does Cingular, or whoever is carrying the signal when roaming, programming
> disconnects after a period of time for "foreign"
> customers?

Try re-booting the phone

bamp
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:38:06 AM

How do you re-boot the phone?

"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message news:o a2dnYKlNqhA1L_fRVn-qQ@centurytel.net...

> "N Hamilton" <nedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:jOjUd.7319$ha.388029@twister.southeast.rr.com...
>> We've noticed that when travelling out of our normal Cingular area, our phones disconnect after 8 or 10 minutes of a call.
>> Around town we can converse for long periods of time but when we are out of town no calls last more than 10 minutes.
>>
>> It's become so predictable that we are beginning to think it's done on purpose (getting paranoid?--yes whenever it involves Bell
>> South.)
>>
>> This week my wife is in downtown San Diego. Every single call in her motel room with a max signal strength, disconnects after 8
>> or
>> 10 minutes. San Francisco last week, same thing. This isn't occuring while we are moving around which I could understand. It
>> occurs
>> when in fixed spots and only when the conversation goes on for awhile. No bad signals at all and then suddenly the call drops.
>> Battery is fully charged. Happens with V551 and same thing was happening with older Nokia last year.
>>
>> Does Cingular, or whoever is carrying the signal when roaming, programming disconnects after a period of time for "foreign"
>> customers?
>

> Try re-booting the phone
>
> bamp

February 28, 2005 1:38:07 AM

> How do you re-boot the phone?

The best way: with your phone on, remove the battery for a few seconds, then
replace it and turn it back on.

bamp

> "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
> news:o a2dnYKlNqhA1L_fRVn-qQ@centurytel.net...
>>
>> "N Hamilton" <nedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> We've noticed that when travelling out of our normal Cingular area, our
>>> phones disconnect after 8 or 10 minutes of a call.
>>> Around town we can converse for long periods of time but when we are out
>>> of town no calls last more than 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> It's become so predictable that we are beginning to think it's done on
>>> purpose (getting paranoid?--yes whenever it involves Bell
>>> South.)
>>>
>>> This week my wife is in downtown San Diego. Every single call in her
>>> motel room with a max signal strength, disconnects after 8 or
>>> 10 minutes. San Francisco last week, same thing. This isn't occuring
>>> while we are moving around which I could understand. It occurs
>>> when in fixed spots and only when the conversation goes on for awhile.
>>> No bad signals at all and then suddenly the call drops.
>>> Battery is fully charged. Happens with V551 and same thing was happening
>>> with older Nokia last year.
>>>
>>> Does Cingular, or whoever is carrying the signal when roaming,
>>> programming disconnects after a period of time for "foreign"
>>> customers?
>>

>> Try re-booting the phone
>>
>> bamp

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:41:45 AM

> We've noticed that when travelling out of our normal Cingular area, our phones disconnect after 8 or 10 minutes of a call.
> Around town we can converse for long periods of time but when we are out of town no calls last more than 10 minutes.
>
> It's become so predictable that we are beginning to think it's done on purpose (getting paranoid?--yes whenever it involves Bell
> South.)
>
> This week my wife is in downtown San Diego. Every single call in her motel room with a max signal strength, disconnects after 8 or
> 10 minutes. San Francisco last week, same thing. This isn't occuring while we are moving around which I could understand. It occurs
> when in fixed spots and only when the conversation goes on for awhile. No bad signals at all and then suddenly the call drops.
> Battery is fully charged. Happens with V551 and same thing was happening with older Nokia last year.
>
> Does Cingular, or whoever is carrying the signal when roaming, programming disconnects after a period of time for "foreign"
> customers?

That's pretty unlikely because those carriers are going to get more
revenue from one roaming minute than one minute of their own customer
airtime. It'd be like like cutting an artery of financial income.

Just like bamp suggested, power cycle the phone on a regular basis if
you don't already. This solved the problem for my Nokia 6340i, Motorola
T720, and Motorola V505. I haven't had the problem with my LG L1150 so
far (but I restart it on a regular basis). Then make some test calls.

Let us know the results.

TH
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:14:44 AM

I wouldn't recommend doing that on a regular basis, but on a regular
basis make sure that you turn the phone off, wait about 10 seconds, then
turn the phone on again. Cell phones are computers, and just like
desktop or laptop computers that need to occasionally be restarted, cell
phones also need to be restarted.

TH

bamp wrote:
> "N Hamilton" <nedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>How do you re-boot the phone?
>

> The best way: with your phone on, remove the battery for a few seconds, then
> replace it and turn it back on.
>
> bamp
>

>>"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message
>>news:o a2dnYKlNqhA1L_fRVn-qQ@centurytel.net...
>>
>>>"N Hamilton" <nedh@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

>>>Try re-booting the phone
>>>
>>>bamp

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:33:28 AM

On 2/27/05 5:41 PM, in article 42224CAD.8050806@example.net, "Tropical
Haven" <user@example.net> wrote:

> That's pretty unlikely because those carriers are going to get more
> revenue from one roaming minute than one minute of their own customer
> airtime. It'd be like like cutting an artery of financial income.

That's assuming they actually pay for roaming at all. Could simply be "let
us roam on you and we'll let you roam on us" type of deal, which is verĀ„
beneficial to both parties.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:54:17 PM

>>That's pretty unlikely because those carriers are going to get more
>>revenue from one roaming minute than one minute of their own customer
>>airtime. It'd be like like cutting an artery of financial income.
>

> That's assuming they actually pay for roaming at all. Could simply be "let
> us roam on you and we'll let you roam on us" type of deal, which is verĀ„
> beneficial to both parties.

I think that while that is possible, it's not likely that's the deal. I
mean, if it's a small regional carrier, it would be great deal for that
carrier. However, there are some companies, such as Western
Wireless/Alltel that operate GSM networks but have no GSM customers.
The same with CommNet Wireless.

TH
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:57:30 AM

On 3/2/05 6:54 AM, in article 4225A96B.6040605@example.net, "Tropical Haven"
<user@example.net> wrote:

> I think that while that is possible, it's not likely that's the deal. I
> mean, if it's a small regional carrier, it would be great deal for that
> carrier. However, there are some companies, such as Western
> Wireless/Alltel that operate GSM networks but have no GSM customers.
> The same with CommNet Wireless.
True, but it sounds like a lot of expense to capture roaming revenue. I'm
sure Cingular isn't paying Alltel $.99/min for us to roam on them. I would
think the expense of maintaining a separate network and billing system would
be HUGE...
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:10:35 AM

>>I think that while that is possible, it's not likely that's the deal. I
>>mean, if it's a small regional carrier, it would be great deal for that
>>carrier. However, there are some companies, such as Western
>>Wireless/Alltel that operate GSM networks but have no GSM customers.
>>The same with CommNet Wireless.
>
> True, but it sounds like a lot of expense to capture roaming revenue. I'm
> sure Cingular isn't paying Alltel $.99/min for us to roam on them. I would
> think the expense of maintaining a separate network and billing system would
> be HUGE...

Maybe not in rural areas, where the carrier would be the only one to
provide GSM service, then ALL GSM providers would want roaming
agreements...especially interstate corriders in various rural states.

TH
!