*sob*

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2005 8:31:22 PM

Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.

After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.

Curious.

I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their recording
said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates" for
Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
Curiouser.....

So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but that
hourglass cursor.

So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run chkdsk
and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh, and
she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
Documents" folder.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
again.

But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of them
are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start anew.
All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
somewhere, but those are gone.

It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
Excuse me while I weep....

Jeanie

More about : sob

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:31:23 PM

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.

I hate to hear that. My husband's Dell came to a screeching halt last week.
He called me at work and I walked him through a bunch of stuff that didn't
work. Basically many of his Windows files were corrupted, and there were
some other odd things as well. When I saw how messed up things were when I
got home, I decided against doing a system restore.

I took his hard drive out and put it in my computer as a secondary drive and
copied all of his documents & important stuff (he had backups, but they were
about a month old) and copied them to my hard disk. Then I reformatted and
put his drive back in his machine. I guess he's glad we have "his & hers"
computers.

Dell used to make great computers. But, I can't say I'm the least bit
impressed with the machines they've put out in the past three years or so.
He's considering having me build him a computer now.

Sigh

Emily
June 22, 2005 8:41:28 PM

> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
> them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
> anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.

I lost an entire drive of contents once. I'd spent a few days backing
everything I wanted/needed to my backup drive so I could format. After
getting everything saved, organized and filed away, I started the format.
While watching tv. Cause I was too cocky to think I needed to pay close
attention as formatting was old hat by this time. So of course I wiped my
backup drive. All of our xmas pics of the kids opening their presents,
wearing bows, shocked excited faces...gone. 'sigh.

I feel your pain.

noname
June 22, 2005 8:48:33 PM

Jeanie wrote:

> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....

/em mixes you a stiff pina colada and sets out the hammock for you.

-georg
June 22, 2005 9:40:15 PM

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their
> recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates"
> for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but
> that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run
> chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh,
> and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
> them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
> anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....

Dang dang dang...too bad you couldn't have gotten on for some help because I
would have suggested biting the bullet, buy a new hard drive and
format/install windows on that one then putting the other one in as a
secondary and trying to copy files off it. A hard drive is usually not a
waste as it can be used even as an external drive with a installation
kit...you have my sympathies. Damn MS techs, they seem to think no one but
businesses have important stuff :(
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 10:05:38 PM

Jeanie wrote:

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.

<snip woes>

why didn't anyone suggest a system restore? This would not have harmed
your docs folder and would have returned your system to that of an
earlier date, replacing corrupt files with working ones. It would have
certainly been the first thing I would have suggested with XP

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....

No-no-no. Look on it as a blessing in disguise. Really.
Think about 'this time, what if ???'

Have a hug, anyway. I do know the feeling.
Granny.
June 22, 2005 10:55:31 PM

> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
> catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Oh no!! I'm so sorry Jeanie. I had about the same thing happen a couple
years ago.
I also have a 3 yr. old Dell Dimension 8200. I agree about their tech
support, it stinks!!!
I've already decided not to get another Dell. :)
Honestly, I do feel your pain, especially about your family pictures. :(
I feel bad about all your hard work that you did with TV land and etc.

Betty
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:05:51 PM

Oh Noooooo!!!!
But this is really an odd coincidence too :(
My ex-husband called me in the wee hours of the morning.
They had 3 computers down, none of them wanting to boot into windows. One
was his computer, another was my son's soon to be 'old' computer and the
third was my son's soon to be 'new' computer. My son had gotten xp pro and
was trying to put it on his old computer and it gave an error, rebooted and
would not boot into windows. While we were talking , my son got it
installed on his new computer. I assume that they were able to work it all
out after that. But I really have no idea what I would do in that
situation. I knew a bit with 98se, but xp has me at a loss. My advice to
him was take it to a shop :)

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their
> recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates"
> for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but
> that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run
> chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh,
> and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
> them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
> anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:58:20 PM

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Jeanie wrote:
>>
>> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a
>> little bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer
>> very sluggish afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>>
> <snip woes>
>
> why didn't anyone suggest a system restore? This would not have harmed
> your docs folder and would have returned your system to that of an
> earlier date, replacing corrupt files with working ones. It would have
> certainly been the first thing I would have suggested with XP

Impossible to do that, though, when Windows itself refuses to boot. There
are no options on that plain blue screen. No way to go into DOS either. I
was just a had duck and that's all there was to it. Believe me, I tried
everything I knew to try before ever calling tech support in the first
place. I'd rather eat nails that talk to those people.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:05:42 AM

> I hate to hear that. My husband's Dell came to a screeching halt
> last week. He called me at work and I walked him through a bunch of
> stuff that didn't work. Basically many of his Windows files were
> corrupted, and there were some other odd things as well. When I saw
> how messed up things were when I got home, I decided against doing a
> system restore.
>
> I took his hard drive out and put it in my computer as a secondary
> drive and copied all of his documents & important stuff (he had
> backups, but they were about a month old) and copied them to my hard
> disk. Then I reformatted and put his drive back in his machine. I
> guess he's glad we have "his & hers" computers.
>
> Dell used to make great computers. But, I can't say I'm the least bit
> impressed with the machines they've put out in the past three years
> or so. He's considering having me build him a computer now.
>
> Sigh
>
> Emily

We have just about decided that this hard drive likely has a bad sector on
it. It was nearly 3/4 full before this crash, so perhaps the bad sector is
towards the end. This is the second HD I've had on this machine. Dell
already replaced it once. The computer is three years old and towards the
end of the warranty period, I purchased a 3 year in-home repair warranty
that still has a year to run. Good thing, too, because during the past
couple of years they have had to replace my video card, my network card, my
motherboard, my monitor (twice), the CMOS battery, and my hard drive. They
will replace the HD again if it's bad.

But I am giving serious consideration to just going out and buying a larger
one myself and putting it in here. I've been wanting one anyway.

And I agree about Dell computers. I have owned three of them in the past
and loved every one of them. But since they have now outsourced all of
their technical support to foriegn countries where the techs don't speak
clear English (and even their emails are in broken English) I have become
disgusted. The company may think they are saving a load of money in
salaries, but since I always wind up insisting that they send a technician
to my home to fix my trouble, they end up paying some local guy big bucks
anyway. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:06:40 AM

> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
> catastrophe. Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

I do sincerely appreciate all the sympathy I can get right now, guys! LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:22:05 AM

>> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
>> catastrophe. Excuse me while I weep....
>>
>> Jeanie
>
> I do sincerely appreciate all the sympathy I can get right now, guys! LOL
>
> Jeanie

You get lots of sympathy from me too. I've had it happen to me so often in
the past but not with XP (so far).

All I can suggest is that you invest in a large external drive to keep your
files on as backup. I've had an Iomega HDD (120 G) for several years now
and it can be attached to any computer you are currently using.

Skeats
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:58:53 AM

Jeanie wrote:

> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
> catastrophe. Excuse me while I weep....

<offers Jeanie a box of tissues and a shoulder>

T.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:58:44 AM

*Hugs Jeanie with sympathy*

A piece of information for something like this. Next time there is
information on a computer that will not boot, take it to a computer shop. At
the very least they will be able to slave your drive into one of their
machines and back up your data.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori - Rincewind, The Last Hero, Terry Pratchett

MM

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their
recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates"
for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but
that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run
chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh,
and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:59:52 AM

Can't you boot from the Windows CD itself to do a repair console?

--

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Jeanie wrote:
> >>
> >> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a
> >> little bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer
> >> very sluggish afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
> >>
> > <snip woes>
> >
> > why didn't anyone suggest a system restore? This would not have harmed
> > your docs folder and would have returned your system to that of an
> > earlier date, replacing corrupt files with working ones. It would have
> > certainly been the first thing I would have suggested with XP
>
> Impossible to do that, though, when Windows itself refuses to boot. There
> are no options on that plain blue screen. No way to go into DOS either.
> was just a had duck and that's all there was to it. Believe me, I tried
> everything I knew to try before ever calling tech support in the first
> place. I'd rather eat nails that talk to those people.
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:03:05 AM

I have not very fond memories of a Packard Bell we had... They are NOT
machines you want to change any of the components of. Ever.

We wanted a new modem, to go faster online. My husband's naval career
invovled electtronics, so he is convinced he is better at this sort of
thing than I am. So I let him.

I expressed some concern when he opened the second bottle of Jack
Daniels. He had, after all, started about noon. On both the modem and
the JD.

I later kissed him good night while he was on the phone with Yet Another
Technical Assistant, and went to bed.

At 3 am, my beloved threw open the bedroom door. Obviously, he wasn't
ready for bed yet. He announced, "Honey, I have just reformatted the
Hard Drive."

"That's nice, dear," I replied, realizing there wasn't a damn thing I
could do about it.

I installed it later that morning, while he was sleeping off the
effects. Took me about 10 minutes.

-georg
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:03:49 AM

It's not that. They only teach these tech's one answer, because they aren't
really tech's, only call centre operators. It's getting more and more
common. I know of at least one shop where any unknown problem is immediately
labelled virus, and they then wipe the HD and reinstall! WTF?!

--

"janice" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> > anew.
> > All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> > gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> > graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> > somewhere, but those are gone.
> >
> > It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
catastrophe.
> > Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Dang dang dang...too bad you couldn't have gotten on for some help because
> would have suggested biting the bullet, buy a new hard drive and
> format/install windows on that one then putting the other one in as a
> secondary and trying to copy files off it. A hard drive is usually not a
> waste as it can be used even as an external drive with a installation
> kit...you have my sympathies. Damn MS techs, they seem to think no one but

June 23, 2005 2:25:49 AM

Madame Mim wrote:
> Can't you boot from the Windows CD itself to do a repair console?

Tried that. It would have destroyed the My Documents folder anyway, but it
didn't work. It got hung up when it still had 25 minutes to go. I finally
went to bed at 1AM, got up this morning and it STILL had 25 minutes to go.
So I gave up and reformatted.

Jeanie

> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> Paul Heslop wrote:

>>> <snip woes>
>>>
>>> why didn't anyone suggest a system restore? This would not have
>>> harmed your docs folder and would have returned your system to that
>>> of an earlier date, replacing corrupt files with working ones. It
>>> would have certainly been the first thing I would have suggested
>>> with XP
>>
>> Impossible to do that, though, when Windows itself refuses to boot.
>> There are no options on that plain blue screen. No way to go into
>> DOS either. I was just a had duck and that's all there was to it.
>> Believe me, I tried everything I knew to try before ever calling
>> tech support in the first place. I'd rather eat nails that talk to
>> those people.
>>
>> Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:29:13 AM

georg wrote:
> I have not very fond memories of a Packard Bell we had... They are NOT
> machines you want to change any of the components of. Ever.
>
> We wanted a new modem, to go faster online. My husband's naval career
> invovled electtronics, so he is convinced he is better at this sort of
> thing than I am. So I let him.
>
> I expressed some concern when he opened the second bottle of Jack
> Daniels. He had, after all, started about noon. On both the modem and
> the JD.
>
> I later kissed him good night while he was on the phone with Yet
> Another Technical Assistant, and went to bed.
>
> At 3 am, my beloved threw open the bedroom door. Obviously, he wasn't
> ready for bed yet. He announced, "Honey, I have just reformatted the
> Hard Drive."
>
> "That's nice, dear," I replied, realizing there wasn't a damn thing I
> could do about it.
>
> I installed it later that morning, while he was sleeping off the
> effects. Took me about 10 minutes.
>
> -georg

I'm very surprised you were able to put an "alien" modem into a Packard
Bell. They, like Compaqs, are completely "propriatory." That means that
only components manufactured by the parent company will ever fit into them.
I had a Packard Bell as my very first computer. Bought it at Montgomery
Wards, of all places. That was before I learned what I was doing (at least
a little bit!) and realized one should probably buy electronic things from
electronics companies. LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:29:14 AM

> I'm very surprised you were able to put an "alien" modem into a Packard
> Bell. They, like Compaqs, are completely "propriatory." That means that
> only components manufactured by the parent company will ever fit into
> them.
> I had a Packard Bell as my very first computer. Bought it at Montgomery
> Wards, of all places. That was before I learned what I was doing (at
> least
> a little bit!) and realized one should probably buy electronic things from
> electronics companies. LOL
>
> Jeanie

Yikes, those WERE horrible computers. Mom and Dad had one. Scary. Mom was
calling me all hours of the day for some free tech support.

Emily
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:40:51 AM

Jeanie wrote:

> georg wrote:
>
>>I have not very fond memories of a Packard Bell we had... They are NOT
>>machines you want to change any of the components of. Ever.
>>
>>We wanted a new modem, to go faster online. My husband's naval career
>>invovled electtronics, so he is convinced he is better at this sort of
>>thing than I am. So I let him.
>>
>>I expressed some concern when he opened the second bottle of Jack
>>Daniels. He had, after all, started about noon. On both the modem and
>>the JD.
>>
>>I later kissed him good night while he was on the phone with Yet
>>Another Technical Assistant, and went to bed.
>>
>>At 3 am, my beloved threw open the bedroom door. Obviously, he wasn't
>>ready for bed yet. He announced, "Honey, I have just reformatted the
>>Hard Drive."
>>
>>"That's nice, dear," I replied, realizing there wasn't a damn thing I
>>could do about it.
>>
>>I installed it later that morning, while he was sleeping off the
>>effects. Took me about 10 minutes.
>>
>>-georg
>

> I'm very surprised you were able to put an "alien" modem into a Packard
> Bell. They, like Compaqs, are completely "propriatory." That means that
> only components manufactured by the parent company will ever fit into them.
> I had a Packard Bell as my very first computer. Bought it at Montgomery
> Wards, of all places. That was before I learned what I was doing (at least
> a little bit!) and realized one should probably buy electronic things from
> electronics companies. LOL
>
> Jeanie

It didn't like it at all. Took a few arguments with the system.

We never bought another one, though, I can assure you of that.

-georg
June 23, 2005 4:09:42 AM

OK, right after I type this, I'm burning "my documents" to a CD...
YOU'RE NOT GETTING ME TOO, MURPHY!!!

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their
recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates"
for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but
that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run
chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh,
and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:10:37 AM

Jeanie wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Jeanie wrote:
> >>
> >> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a
> >> little bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer
> >> very sluggish afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
> >>
> > <snip woes>
> >
> > why didn't anyone suggest a system restore? This would not have harmed
> > your docs folder and would have returned your system to that of an
> > earlier date, replacing corrupt files with working ones. It would have
> > certainly been the first thing I would have suggested with XP
>
> Impossible to do that, though, when Windows itself refuses to boot. There
> are no options on that plain blue screen. No way to go into DOS either. I
> was just a had duck and that's all there was to it. Believe me, I tried
> everything I knew to try before ever calling tech support in the first
> place. I'd rather eat nails that talk to those people.
>
> Jeanie

yeah, sorry i wasn't thinking. I've had this sort of stuff happen to
me quite a few times... it is possibly the single most agonizing thing
about computers
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:18:40 AM

> > I'm very surprised you were able to put an "alien" modem into a Packard
> > Bell. They, like Compaqs, are completely "propriatory." That means
that
> > only components manufactured by the parent company will ever fit into
them.
> > I had a Packard Bell as my very first computer. Bought it at Montgomery
> > Wards, of all places. That was before I learned what I was doing (at
least
> > a little bit!) and realized one should probably buy electronic things
from
> > electronics companies. LOL
> >
> > Jeanie
> >

> It didn't like it at all. Took a few arguments with the system.
>
> We never bought another one, though, I can assure you of that.
>
> -georg

Neither did very many other people, I think. They went out of business,
didn't they?

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:26:29 AM

> Oh Noooooo!!!!
> But this is really an odd coincidence too :(
> My ex-husband called me in the wee hours of the morning.
> They had 3 computers down, none of them wanting to boot into windows. One
> was his computer, another was my son's soon to be 'old' computer and the
> third was my son's soon to be 'new' computer. My son had gotten xp pro
and
> was trying to put it on his old computer and it gave an error, rebooted
and
> would not boot into windows. While we were talking , my son got it
> installed on his new computer. I assume that they were able to work it
all
> out after that. But I really have no idea what I would do in that
> situation. I knew a bit with 98se, but xp has me at a loss. My advice to
> him was take it to a shop :)

Well, like I said, apparently it was a pretty wide spread problem because
the tech support number at Dell offered a choice BEFORE any of the others
that said, "If you have a blank screen when trying to boot into Windows
after downloading the current Windows Update, press 5." That is pretty
unusual all by itself. I'm assuming that since we all got the heads up last
week that Windows would be sending out some screwy Automatic Updates, that
most folks likely turned that function off yesterday while they wanted to
play the Sims. I have it turned off period because I still don't want that
SP2 that gave me such fits last year and it would download that before
anything else if I turned it on. So I hadn't updated anything, but still
got the blue screen at boot up.

It's not the end of the entire world, though. I uploaded most all of the
houses I'd built and a lot of the sims to the Exchange, so I can go back and
get them again. But ALL of my downloads are gone. Just getting those back
will take me several days, I'm sure.

One upside to the whole thing, though, is that when I reinstalled winrar, I
get the full functions of it again. I had run out of the initial freebie
time and had that stupid dialog box pop up every single time I tried to do
anything with it.

I'll live over it. It only hurts for a little while. I regret losing the
storylines I had going in Pleasantville, but I kind of missed ol' Brandi
Broke and the rest of the original characters, most of whom had died already
in my game.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:34:07 AM

"Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com> wrote in message

> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>

> > It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
> > catastrophe.
> > Excuse me while I weep....
> >
> > Jeanie
> >

> Oh no!! I'm so sorry Jeanie. I had about the same thing happen a couple
> years ago.
> I also have a 3 yr. old Dell Dimension 8200. I agree about their tech
> support, it stinks!!!
> I've already decided not to get another Dell. :)
> Honestly, I do feel your pain, especially about your family pictures. :(
> I feel bad about all your hard work that you did with TV land and etc.
>
> Betty

Well, I had emailed almost all of the graduation pictures for my eldest (the
one who posts in here once in a while, who graduated from the nursing
program last month) to her, so she'll have those. And the younger daughter
(who graduated from high school) received her picture package this week from
the professional photos that were taken that night. So, other than a few
goofy photos that my son and grandson took a week ago, I can regroup almost
all of the photos.

I really regret the way the Dell company has done their tech support,
outsourcing ALL of it to foreign countries. I simply cannot understand the
East Indian and Taiwanese accents, though, try though I might. And when
someone is trying to talk you through something serious with your precious
computer, you really need to be able to understand them. I imagine Gateway
and the other companies are just as bad, though. Having tech support
available 24-7 doesn't mean much if you can't understand what they are
trying to tell you.

Dell's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing, either. I
recently had to have the CMOS battery replaced. I contacted them via email
and they immediately sent a local technician out (within two days) to take
care of it. Then they proceeded to call me 6 times to make sure I had
gotten it taken care of! I can see maybe one repetition but 6 times?
Sheesh! Drove me nuts for two days, it did.

My next computer will be locally built, I think.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:34:08 AM

news:p 4que.80464$_o.57573@attbi_s71...

> "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>>

>> > It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this
>> > catastrophe.
>> > Excuse me while I weep....
>> >
>> > Jeanie
>> >

>> Oh no!! I'm so sorry Jeanie. I had about the same thing happen a couple
>> years ago.
>> I also have a 3 yr. old Dell Dimension 8200. I agree about their tech
>> support, it stinks!!!
>> I've already decided not to get another Dell. :)
>> Honestly, I do feel your pain, especially about your family pictures. :(
>> I feel bad about all your hard work that you did with TV land and etc.
>>
>> Betty
>>
> Well, I had emailed almost all of the graduation pictures for my eldest
> (the
> one who posts in here once in a while, who graduated from the nursing
> program last month) to her, so she'll have those. And the younger
> daughter
> (who graduated from high school) received her picture package this week
> from
> the professional photos that were taken that night. So, other than a few
> goofy photos that my son and grandson took a week ago, I can regroup
> almost
> all of the photos.
>
> I really regret the way the Dell company has done their tech support,
> outsourcing ALL of it to foreign countries. I simply cannot understand
> the
> East Indian and Taiwanese accents, though, try though I might. And when
> someone is trying to talk you through something serious with your precious
> computer, you really need to be able to understand them. I imagine
> Gateway
> and the other companies are just as bad, though. Having tech support
> available 24-7 doesn't mean much if you can't understand what they are
> trying to tell you.

Actually, a lot of the tech support call centers are located right here in
the good ol USA :)  But they do employ a lot of immigrants who have a bit of
trouble with our language. Next time, ask to speak with a supervisor and
just see if you have better luck :)

> Dell's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing, either. I
> recently had to have the CMOS battery replaced. I contacted them via
> email
> and they immediately sent a local technician out (within two days) to take
> care of it. Then they proceeded to call me 6 times to make sure I had
> gotten it taken care of! I can see maybe one repetition but 6 times?
> Sheesh! Drove me nuts for two days, it did.
>
> My next computer will be locally built, I think.
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:34:28 AM

"Aahz" <aahzmk@nohow.ca> wrote in message
> OK, right after I type this, I'm burning "my documents" to a CD...
> YOU'RE NOT GETTING ME TOO, MURPHY!!!

Good plan!

Jeanie

> [...]
> > Documents" folder.
> >
> > WHAT?!?!?!?!
> >
> > Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> > reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> > again.
> >
> > But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying
> > upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
> them
> > are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
> anew.
> > All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> > gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> > graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> > somewhere, but those are gone.
> >
> > It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:56:39 AM

Jeanie wrote:
> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates" for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh, and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Have you tried any type of undelete program? As long as you haven't
overwritten the area of the drive where the data was previously stored,
you might be able to recover the files. Here are a couple of links...
I've never used any of these myself, but just tossing these out as an
idea. I googled "undelete utility" to find these.

http://www.uneraser.com/ (shareware, free trial, $49 to buy)
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete (freeware)
http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm (free demo, $45 to buy)

Good luck!

--
Donna
Anonymous

>> I really regret the way the Dell company has done their tech support,
>> outsourcing ALL of it to foreign countries. I simply cannot
>> understand the
>> East Indian and Taiwanese accents, though, try though I might. And
>> when someone is trying to talk you through something serious with
>> your precious computer, you really need to be able to understand
>> them. I imagine Gateway
>> and the other companies are just as bad, though. Having tech support
>> available 24-7 doesn't mean much if you can't understand what they
>> are trying to tell you.
>
> Actually, a lot of the tech support call centers are located right
> here in the good ol USA :)  But they do employ a lot of immigrants
> who have a bit of trouble with our language. Next time, ask to speak
> with a supervisor and just see if you have better luck :)

The last five or six times that I've dealt with Dell's technical support
folks on the phone, I've asked where they were located. Sri Lanka, Taiwan,
The Philipines, India, Pakistan and Indonesia. Dell's corporate address is
in Texas. Next time I call, I'll ask to speak to a Texan. I have some
trouble understanding those folks, too, but figure I'll fare better than I
have with the others. <g>

Dell used to have a commercial with the three interns leaving the office
building and turning off the lights. Then the tech support people start
popping up out of cubicles and holler at them because they were still there.
Their current commercial is some dork calling a tech support guy and asking
if he'll be there on Christmas, Easter, Kwanza, Cinco de Mayo, etc. The guy
he's talking to on the phone is an American. That's just false advertising
in both cases and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I need to
fire off a complaint letter to the corporate offices.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:06:57 PM

Bummer!

Best wishes
Maxon

> Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
> bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
> afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.
>
> After the WindowsXP splash screen, I got a blue screen with only the mouse
> cursor showing, and it was the little hourglass. I waited. And waited.
> Then rebooted again. Same thing. So I took my dog for a walk for about
> half an hour, came back and it was still just a blue screen.
>
> Curious.
>
> I tried turning off the computer for about an hour and trying again. Same
> thing. So, I called tech support at Dell. The first thing their
recording
> said was that if I was seeing a blank screen, I should press 5. Their
> recorded fix involved going into safe mode and changing the screen
> resolution back to 1024x768. Apparently, yesterdays "automatic updates"
for
> Windows was screwing something up and they'd had enough calls about it to
> create a recording just for that problem. But I hadn't downloaded any
> automatic updates. I have that function turned off on this computer.
> Curiouser.....
>
> So, I tried their little fix and found that I couldn't go into safe mode
> either. I still got the blue screen. No error messages. Nothing but
that
> hourglass cursor.
>
> So, I called them up. 30 minutes later, when I finally reached a human
> being (who I had a lot of trouble understanding, BTW) we tried to run
chkdsk
> and it wouldn't do that either. She said that obviously my Windows files
> had become corrupted, and we would try to repair the installation. Oh,
and
> she assured me that the "only" thing I would lose would be the "My
> Documents" folder.
>
> WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> Even the repair didn't work, though. I had to perform a reformat and
> reinstallation. Of everything. That worked. At least I am functional
> again.
>
> But TV Land is gone. All my created sims.....gone. I had been trying to
> upload them and the lots to theExchange as I made them, but not all of
them
> are up there. Pleasantville goes backwards three generations to start
anew.
> All my downloads are lost and gone forever. All my family pictures are
> gone, too, and I hadn't backed them up in about a month, so there went
> graduation pictures for two of my girls. Everything else is on CD
> somewhere, but those are gone.
>
> It will take me weeks to get back to where I was before this catastrophe.
> Excuse me while I weep....
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:06:57 PM

Hah

"Granny Grumpling" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Have a hug, anyway. I do know the feeling.
> Granny.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:06:57 PM

You will get a whole pile of your Downloads back with those houses.

Best wishes
Maxon

> It's not the end of the entire world, though. I uploaded most all of the
> houses I'd built and a lot of the sims to the Exchange, so I can go back
and
> get them again. But ALL of my downloads are gone. Just getting those
back
> will take me several days, I'm sure.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:10:43 PM

Jeanie wrote:

>>It didn't like it at all. Took a few arguments with the system.
>>
>>We never bought another one, though, I can assure you of that.
>>
>>-georg
>

> Neither did very many other people, I think. They went out of business,
> didn't they?
>
> Jeanie

Monkey Wards, as we called it my family, went tits up in 1997 or so, if
I remember right. Maybe as late as 1999. Since Packard Bells were sold
there only, I think like thankfully ended then.

-georg
June 23, 2005 3:34:07 PM

news:D Uvue.35170$fp6.21481@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Jeanie wrote:
>>

>>>It didn't like it at all. Took a few arguments with the system.
>>>
>>>We never bought another one, though, I can assure you of that.
>>>
>>>-georg
>>

>> Neither did very many other people, I think. They went out of
>> business,
>> didn't they?
>>
>> Jeanie
>>

> Monkey Wards, as we called it my family, went tits up in 1997 or so,
> if I remember right. Maybe as late as 1999. Since Packard Bells were
> sold there only, I think like thankfully ended then.
>
> -georg

Montgomery Wards went out of business here in Jan. 2001. I had bought a
sofa from them
right before and they tried to sell me some extra stuff like free
cleaning etc and I sure was glad
I didn't do it because I would have lost that extra money. HA!! They
knew what they were doing, getting
extra money like that knowing they were going out of business.

Betty
June 23, 2005 4:10:14 PM

> The last five or six times that I've dealt with Dell's technical
> support
> folks on the phone, I've asked where they were located. Sri Lanka,
> Taiwan,
> The Philipines, India, Pakistan and Indonesia. Dell's corporate
> address is
> in Texas. Next time I call, I'll ask to speak to a Texan. I have
> some
> trouble understanding those folks, too, but figure I'll fare better
> than I
> have with the others. <g>
>

> Jeanie

Oh dear, I'm a Texan. LOL I don't think we talk funny. HAHA!!!!

Betty
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:44:54 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:31:22 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>Disaster struck me last night. I had just finished playing Sims2 a little
>bit and had exited the program. It always makes my computer very sluggish
>afterwards, so, like always, I rebooted.

I know exactly how you feel Jeanie. A few years ago computers were
out of sight for the likes of me and I was a happy, contented soul.
Now my life has become much more complicated. Have a big hug, then
get back in there.

Kingsley
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:21:27 PM

Oh - are you referring to me?

Hmmm

I only snorted because you said you knew the feeling - talk about ironic
understatement!

Best wishes
Maxon

> Careful. I suggested that and 'someone' snorted at me. 8)
>
> GG

June 23, 2005 6:59:29 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:25:49 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>Madame Mim wrote:
>> Can't you boot from the Windows CD itself to do a repair console?
>
>Tried that. It would have destroyed the My Documents folder anyway, but it
>didn't work. It got hung up when it still had 25 minutes to go. I finally
>went to bed at 1AM, got up this morning and it STILL had 25 minutes to go.
>So I gave up and reformatted.
>
>Jeanie

I don't really understand why you reformatted? It isn't necessary to
reformat the HD just to install Windows. If you had done a clean
install of Windows from the CD without reformatting, what was in your
document folder would not have been destroyed. Windows will not
overwrite anything in that folder, it will only overwrite files in the
Windows folder and add things to the programs folder or make a new one
and replace the system files in the root, there is no point in
reformatting the drive. I've done this lots of times on my other
computer and I've never lost anything.
June 23, 2005 6:59:30 PM

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:p rblb11kfg55etrvutuglkq7594no5help@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:25:49 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>>Madame Mim wrote:
>>> Can't you boot from the Windows CD itself to do a repair console?
>>
>>Tried that. It would have destroyed the My Documents folder anyway,
>>but it
>>didn't work. It got hung up when it still had 25 minutes to go. I
>>finally
>>went to bed at 1AM, got up this morning and it STILL had 25 minutes to
>>go.
>>So I gave up and reformatted.
>>
>>Jeanie
>

> I don't really understand why you reformatted? It isn't necessary to
> reformat the HD just to install Windows. If you had done a clean
> install of Windows from the CD without reformatting, what was in your
> document folder would not have been destroyed. Windows will not
> overwrite anything in that folder, it will only overwrite files in the
> Windows folder and add things to the programs folder or make a new one
> and replace the system files in the root, there is no point in
> reformatting the drive. I've done this lots of times on my other
> computer and I've never lost anything.

Something new to learn, I didn't know this! I thought if you reinstalled
Windows, it would
automatically reformat. I had Windows ME that came with my computer,
then Dell sent me XP update but I have to put
ME in first, then XP when I want to reformat or such. :(  Last time I
reformatted, I tried to bypass
Windows ME and do a clean install of XP but no go, it wouldn't let me.
This probably doesn't have
anything to do with what you posted but hey.....I might learn something,
somebody might tell me something
I can do to install Win XP without having to install ME first. I have
learned more about computers from this
group than from computer groups. :) )))

Betty
June 23, 2005 7:04:09 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:09:42 GMT, "Aahz" <aahzmk@nohow.ca> wrote:

>OK, right after I type this, I'm burning "my documents" to a CD...
>YOU'RE NOT GETTING ME TOO, MURPHY!!!

It will be full of scratches and become useless:-)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:25:53 PM

>> > I'm very surprised you were able to put an "alien" modem into a Packard
>> > Bell. They, like Compaqs, are completely "propriatory." That means
> that
>> > only components manufactured by the parent company will ever fit into
> them.
>> > I had a Packard Bell as my very first computer. Bought it at
>> > Montgomery
>> > Wards, of all places. That was before I learned what I was doing (at
> least
>> > a little bit!) and realized one should probably buy electronic things
> from
>> > electronics companies. LOL
>> >
>> > Jeanie
>> >

>> It didn't like it at all. Took a few arguments with the system.
>>
>> We never bought another one, though, I can assure you of that.
>>
>> -georg
>
> Neither did very many other people, I think. They went out of business,
> didn't they?
>
> Jeanie

Packard Bell became Hewlett Packard, or "HP" as they like to be known these
days. I'm not too fond of HP machines either.
--
Emily E

www.emilyw.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:12:28 PM

> Something new to learn, I didn't know this! I thought if you reinstalled
> Windows, it would
> automatically reformat. I had Windows ME that came with my computer,
> then Dell sent me XP update but I have to put
> ME in first, then XP when I want to reformat or such. :(  Last time I
> reformatted, I tried to bypass
> Windows ME and do a clean install of XP but no go, it wouldn't let me.
> This probably doesn't have
> anything to do with what you posted but hey.....I might learn something,
> somebody might tell me something
> I can do to install Win XP without having to install ME first. I have
> learned more about computers from this
> group than from computer groups. :) )))
>
> Betty

I would think it is because the XP CD you have is only an upgrade and not
the stand alone program. It will look for a current edition of Windows
first before installing anything and if it doesn't find one, then it won't
install. That doesn't mean that the XP CD doesn't have all the files on it,
just that it is written in such a way that it will only install on a
computer currently running Windows in a previous edition. If you will check
at a store that sells software you will find that a stand alone copy of
Windows XP costs around $150, while an upgrade to XP will run around $85.
Dell sent you the upgrade.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:13:08 PM

> Oh - are you referring to me?
>
> Hmmm
>
> I only snorted because you said you knew the feeling - talk about ironic
> understatement!

I might not howl when I lose the Sims, but you should hear the language when
say Bryce or Pandromeda goes dead.
Mind, I haven;t had any whole machine crashes since XP. I am amazed.

<thinks> Perhaps I did howl when i lost the Sims... <deep thinkies> I
wouldn;t any more, I am backed up to the eyeballs.

Talking of which... You know those cheats to bouce through university? What
where they again?
I searched my Sim stuff>Info>cheats and hacks folder but although I had
saves your list of personal hacks I hadn;t saved the uni boolprop cheats -
if they were boolprop.
I am getting fed up of studying simses.

And that Eleder grunt boy? At one point I had THREE 'I want to be a zombie'
wish.
The boy is demented.

GG
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:14:01 PM

"Strider" <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote in message
news:p rblb11kfg55etrvutuglkq7594no5help@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:25:49 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
> >Madame Mim wrote:
> >> Can't you boot from the Windows CD itself to do a repair console?
> >
> >Tried that. It would have destroyed the My Documents folder anyway, but
it
> >didn't work. It got hung up when it still had 25 minutes to go. I
finally
> >went to bed at 1AM, got up this morning and it STILL had 25 minutes to
go.
> >So I gave up and reformatted.
> >
> >Jeanie
>

> I don't really understand why you reformatted? It isn't necessary to
> reformat the HD just to install Windows. If you had done a clean
> install of Windows from the CD without reformatting, what was in your
> document folder would not have been destroyed. Windows will not
> overwrite anything in that folder, it will only overwrite files in the
> Windows folder and add things to the programs folder or make a new one
> and replace the system files in the root, there is no point in
> reformatting the drive. I've done this lots of times on my other
> computer and I've never lost anything.

There are only two choices in the Windows setup screen. One is to repair
the current installation of Windows, which I tried and it got hung with 25
minutes to go and wouldn't continue. The other choice is to "install
Windows." When I clicked that one, it immediately went into a reformatting.
There was no other option.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:16:40 PM

> You will get a whole pile of your Downloads back with those houses.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

Ah, but I removed my downloads folder before I made most of them. Only the
first two that went up were full of downloads. Then I learned better. LOL

Jeanie

> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> >

> > It's not the end of the entire world, though. I uploaded most all of
the
> > houses I'd built and a lot of the sims to the Exchange, so I can go back
> and
> > get them again. But ALL of my downloads are gone. Just getting those
> back
> > will take me several days, I'm sure.

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:43:38 PM

Granny Grumpling wrote:

> Talking of which... You know those cheats to bouce through university? What
> where they again?
> I searched my Sim stuff>Info>cheats and hacks folder but although I had
> saves your list of personal hacks I hadn;t saved the uni boolprop cheats -
> if they were boolprop.
> I am getting fed up of studying simses.

VArious Simmers has a pile of phone books. Set Major. Add a Skill point.
Set Grades. Set 2 hours to final exam. Ding. Next semester please. Add
the flamingos of bliss so you don't have to fret of biological
functions, and you have one speedy college career.

Not that I'd do that of course.

HA.

Cornea and Cochlea have taken their little brother Pylori off to
college. They've rented a nice home with some lovely sims I made, and
are doing very nicely. Their elder siblings are in dorm with the rest of
the offspring (almost typed oddspring) of Remmy and Nanny, so there will
be not much flirtation in their college hours. Pity too, because I have
to marry McBurney, Emerald and Hilar off if their mum is ever going to
go platinum.

-georg
June 23, 2005 9:47:37 PM

> Granny Grumpling wrote:
>
>> Talking of which... You know those cheats to bouce through
>> university? What where they again?
>
> http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?t...
>
> -georg

I like Carringon's University helping hand at MTS2. It's great!
I tried to get a direct URL to it, but it wouldn't work, sorry! :(

Betty
!