Sign in with
Your question

Loong time before OS installation begins - 790XTA-UD4

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2010 11:58:11 PM

I have just assembled a machine, installed W7 and found that the install preparation part of the installation process or part of the process before the automatic installation begun took unusually long time. Specifically it was about 10 minutes. I have installed W7 many times on many different machines but never timed for this particular strech of installation process but feel they were much shorter. The following is time for each step of the preparation processes to pass:

Windows is loading files... 120 sec.
Starting Windows 20 sec.
(No text display) 200 sec.
Setup is starting 300 sec.

Total of the aboves is about 10 minutes.
I wonder if there is something wrong with this motherboard.

The details of the hardware as follows:
Mobo: GA-790XTA-UD4 with BIOS F2
CPU: Phenom II 720 x3
RAM: Corsair 4GB Kit DDR3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)
Video Card: Diamond HD 5770
HDD: Hitachi 1TB SATA HD31000 IDK/7K
Opt Drive: DVD-RW Toshiba Samsung SH-S223C (SATA interface)
PSU: BFG Tech 550W ATX 12V 2.2
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 12:14:54 PM

That's normal for vista or 7. The software is checking your motherboard specs and seeing what device drivers to use.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:40:47 PM

o1die said:
That's normal for vista or 7. The software is checking your motherboard specs and seeing what device drivers to use.

I just want to make sure that the time in question is one between when "Windows is loading files . . ." is displayed and when "Please read the license terms" is displayed.
I just measured the time for the above with my 6 years old machine and it was 70 seconds. It is hard for me to believe 10 minutes is normal.

Edit:
I found a solution: On the BIOS, changing "A:" to "None" for the Floppy drive solved the problem.
m
l
Related resources
!