RAID 1 in 2 HD with a SSD boot disk

selas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide whether I should do a Hardware RAID (using just the mobo) or an OS RAID (Win 7) for two brand new and unformatted 1TB disks.

Win 7 (64bit) is installed in a SSD (and all software will be installed here).

I want to setup RAID 1 - the machine will have important data and performance is not a priority.

I have read several postings and websites however - it is unclear which would be easier to manage (given that the RAID setup is just for data storage) and setup.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks again,

selas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for the info.

I tried setting up RAID with the MoBo (intel's utility ) - and when launching windows it seems to bluescreen and then restart the machine. Any idea why this might be?

Hardware seems to recognize the two drives, but Win 7 doesn't and keeps crashing

As long as your boot drive is not on the intel raid SATA controller. Usually there are two SATA controllers if there is raid. Make sure the non raid drive is bootable.

after that, check your drivers in device manager. Make sure nothing is outstanding. At that point, do a search on the 0x??????7e error or which error you get.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
It is interesting....
Raid 1 is definitely better as you stated......
as long as the data is read its going to be twice as fast as the writing time.
Data is written to the harddrive and stripped to the connected raid drive. so writing will be a little slower.!

@Selas: What is the error that you get. and anyupdates over it?

selas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Hmm. At the bios (of mobo ASUS P7P67LE) I can only designate either all drives as RAID or none even if I do the RAID setup afterward with Inte's raid SATA controller program. The non-raid drive is still bootable. The bluescreen flashes for a very brief second before the machine restarts so I can't pickup the 0x... error.

In going through other threads, it seems like the solution is to setup RAID and reinstall - even if the SSD is not set up in RAID...

(The only other alternative is to change the SATA ports, but I have no indication that ASUS has designated particular ports to certain tasks).

Thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS