Monitor Powerup IFFY!

G

Hey, I've recently built a new PC, it runs like a dream...when it works properly.

But when I press the power on button, the fans and case fan light come on but monitor says 'no input signal' and stays on amber light.

If I hold the power button down a few seconds, and try powering up another time or 2 i then hear the hard drives kick in and the monitor comes on as expected.

What could this be? Everything inside seems securely connected.

Maybe BIOS settings need configuring somehow?

Any ideas? Thank you.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
More details about your system would help.
■What wattage power supply?
■Which graphic card(s)?
■Which motherboard?
■Is your BIOS ACPI compliant?
■Which CPU?
■Which and how much memory?
■Are you over clocked?
■Which operating system?

Since it is a new system, weak BIOS battery seems unlikely.

Windows has power management features that could conflict with your BIOS settings so add listing your BIOS PM settings to the above list.

You can read about ACPI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

It sounds to me like your system state is stuck in one of the sleep states at boot; power on should put the system state to G0(S0).

G

I have tried unplugging and plugging things in the box and the problem is still occuring. I'm actually using the PC now, but the issue is still there.

Mike, some more info for you:

Inno3D nVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-E 448-Bit
OCZ PSU ModXStream Pro 600W - UK
Pioneer 20x Int. DVDRW Black Bare SATA
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII
MSI Neo Motherboard
Windows XP Professional
2.66Ghz Core 2 Quad Q9400 6MB cache
4GB DDR 2 1066Mhz

not overclocked.

Am working on getting BIOS PM settings for you.

Thanks

That usually indicates a problem with the BIOS settings. The system fails to POST on the first try, resets to safe settings, and successfully boots on the second try. The most common cause of these problems are incorrect RAM settings. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS? What exact RAM kit do you have? "4GB DDR2 1066Mhz" doesn't narrow it down much. :)

G

in BIOS under powermanagement settings it says

ACPI function enabled
ACPI standby state S1
Powerbutton function Power off
restore nac powerloss off

G

Hey thanks for the reply.

I think the problem is resolved. I had already checked memory sticks, but you mentioning memory made me check again. Realised I was only displaying 2Gb memory instead of 3GB, so after finally unplugging and plugging in memory sticks a few times, all is finally in order.

Thanks again.