System fan failure press F2 to continue

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hey everyone I had a HP Pavilion a6245n and my mother board is IPIBL-LA (Berkeley). I recently upgraded from my stock case to an HAF 932. My old case fan was a 90mm that spun at around 1700 rpm (it was loud) the fastest fan on my HAF 932 is a 140mm that spins at 1200 and the three 230mm fans spin at 700rpm. So as I expected I get a fan failure warning and as anyone who has had dealings with OEM BIOS ( HP ) knows I don't have the option of turning the warning off. Any ideas ( aside from buying a new computer ( not gonna happen ) ) ?

Solution

This error message is from BIOS indicating a fan header on the MB is enabled and no fan is detected. When you attach a fan to that specific MB header, the error message goes away. The fan you attach to that MB header MUST have three wires, not two. Positive, Ground and CONTROL.

imannotu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Then I must apologize for not being clear in my original post. I connected all the case fans that came with my haf 932 and still got the same error. My assumption at this point is that the fan speed must be the issue. My controller chip is an asus f8000 and it reported that my old fan spun at 1700 rpm where as the documentation for the haf states the fastest fan is 1200 confirmed by the f8000 while connected to my computer. The only solution I have found so far is to re-connect the original fan but there is no place for it in my case and the power cord for it isn't very long so it would hang off the board and hopefully not knock a capacitor off the board.

This error message is from BIOS indicating a fan header on the MB is enabled and no fan is detected. When you attach a fan to that specific MB header, the error message goes away. The fan you attach to that MB header MUST have three wires, not two. Positive, Ground and CONTROL.

Solution

cs7077

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
I realize this is a very old post but it was one of the top search results for this particular problem. I ran into this problem and resolved this on an HP Pavilion a6257c desktop. The computer was intermittently complaining about the system fan at startup. However, all fans were connected and running normally. The logical thing to do was to disable the fan monitoring in the bios. The problem is that the option doesn't show up in the bios settings when you hit F10.

The solution, at least on some systems, is to enter the bios using CTRL+F10. When using that method, there are additional settings that become available. One of those settings is "hardware monitor" which allows you to turn off the fan monitoring.

bolmes66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017