Your question

P7P55D EVO will not recognise optical or hard-drive with EIDE

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2010 2:04:36 AM

I bought this motherboard specifically because it still has the EIDE interface so I could plug in my old hard drives to get some data I need off them. I've tried plugging in my LiteOn DVD Burner from my old computer with EIDE interface, no joy... Tried my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and nothing. I know these components work, but I can't figure out how to get the motherboard to recognize any EIDE device. I've tried every jumper setting I can. Master, Slave, CS.... nothing.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

More about : p7p55d evo recognise optical hard drive eide

a c 436 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 15, 2010 2:50:43 AM

Go into the bios and set the sata mode to Ide. Also be sure you only have one boot drive. Set some to secondary or slave using the jumpers.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:34:52 PM

Thanks for the response.

I did try that though. Everything is set up for IDE. Tried jumper for SLAVE, tried Cable Select with it plugged into the Slave connector, tried every configuration imaginable with the jumpers. ONCE, and only ONCE. I got the computer to recognize my HP Optical Drive. I had it set as CS, and plugged into the Master on the ribbon cable. I shut down the computer and with the same jumper setting, plugged in the hard drive and NOTHING. Shut down and hooked back up the Optical Drive.... Nothing again. Never got it to work again with Optical or HDD.

Here's an interesting thing I noticed. The hard drive does not spin up when connected to the EIDE cable. Unplug the cable.... spins right up. Really hope that hard drive isn't shot. Worked perfect in the old computer and I really need the data on it.

Any ideas?????
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2010 12:19:51 PM

I have had several similar problems. If you have a good ide cable (idiot proof keyed at both ends) you can not connect it the wrong way, some poorly designed (not keyed) IDE cables can be reversed. On most cables there is a red dashed line along one edge this is normally Pin 1 end make sure that pin 1 is connect the right way round at both ends, M/B end and Disk / CD end. Pin 1 is normaly the nearest end to the power connector on disks & CD drives consult M/B manual to identify pin 1 on the M/B . I know for sure if you plug the disk IDE cable in the wrong way round it does not spin up.

Hope this helps

DR

;) 
m
l
April 19, 2010 1:32:20 PM

Rpopiel said:
Thanks for the response.

I did try that though. Everything is set up for IDE. Tried jumper for SLAVE, tried Cable Select with it plugged into the Slave connector, tried every configuration imaginable with the jumpers. ONCE, and only ONCE. I got the computer to recognize my HP Optical Drive. I had it set as CS, and plugged into the Master on the ribbon cable. I shut down the computer and with the same jumper setting, plugged in the hard drive and NOTHING. Shut down and hooked back up the Optical Drive.... Nothing again. Never got it to work again with Optical or HDD.

Here's an interesting thing I noticed. The hard drive does not spin up when connected to the EIDE cable. Unplug the cable.... spins right up. Really hope that hard drive isn't shot. Worked perfect in the old computer and I really need the data on it.

Any ideas?????

Let me know if you get this figured out. I am having the same problems. Ready to junk the whole thing.
m
l
April 19, 2010 1:32:55 PM

Let me know if you get this figured out. I am having the same problems. Ready to junk the whole thing.

Revove from the list of quoted messages
Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message ...
m
l
August 4, 2010 12:59:28 AM

I am having a similar issue... I have a SATA drive already installed on this MOBO that is working no problem. However, I would like to now install my old IDE HDD as well to retrieve some of my data off of it and to use it as an additional data drive. I downloaded the above drivers but that did not solve the issue.

What should my BIOS settings be changed to if at all? What could I be doing wrong? I have tried every combination of settings I could think of and nothing seems to recognize the drive. Please help!

Thanks,

Nathan
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 4, 2010 10:39:03 AM

Rpopiel said:
Thanks for the response.

Any ideas?????

Please check in BIOS (1) if JMicron e-SATA/PATA controller is NOT disabled and is set to IDE, (2) if IDE Detect Timeout is NOT set to a lower value or even to 0, (3) if IDE cable is the one that came with the motherboard and is connected correctly.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 14, 2010 5:40:39 AM

Installing the JMicron driver fixed this problem for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a P7P55D-E and my IDE CD/DVD has always acted strange. Never read any discs correctly and freezes explorer. I installed the JMicron driver from the link above, rebooted, and it works great now.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 14, 2010 2:54:51 PM

Quote:
Installing the JMicron driver fixed this problem for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a P7P55D-E and my IDE CD/DVD has always acted strange. Never read any discs correctly and freezes explorer. I installed the JMicron driver from the link above, rebooted, and it works great now.

JMicron driver is for Windows. The problem is that motherboard does not recognize the IDE drives. Therefore, your problem must be different.
m
l
April 10, 2011 8:45:33 AM

had the same problem, turns out the cpu wasnt inserted properly. (had placed the cpu without locking it in place) 2 of the pins were bent because of it, straightened it out with tweezers (really carefully, if one pin snaps, wave bye-bye to all other solutions out there.)

not saying that everyone with the same problem is as stupid as me to forget you have to lock the cpu in place, but its what happend to me.
m
l
August 23, 2011 2:46:54 PM

I've reinstalled JMicron driver (just in case) and when rebooting switched ACHI mode to IDE. Don't really know, what exactly helped me, but now it really works (at last!). Thanks to all of you!
m
l