Sign in with
Your question

Custom Build for 1080p Gaming

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2009 8:27:58 PM

Hello everyone, let me first state that I am not new to building systems but I've come here today as I am sure what the right system would be for my needs. I wouldn't be here today if there was a website that could tell me the minimum requirements to run a game at max settings in a 1080p resolution. So without further ado, I want a good computer that can handle the following games in 1080p at max settings (When I say handle I mean comfortable play at an always smooth 60fps):

Rise of legends (I enjoy this little gem but would love to enjoy it all the more in 1080p)
Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance (I like playing this game but it runs horribly on my current machine and if I intend to upgrade I want to go all the way to 1080p)
The Orange Box (and various third party mods)
Burnout Paradise
Mirror's Edge (max settings includes the enabling of PhysX)
UT2004

That's about it those games should be a fair enough range to handle most of the games I play. Now if it isn't too much more (as in the system that could handle the above games wouldn't require much more of an upgrade if any at all) could that system also handle the following games:

F.E.A.R. 2
COD 4 / WAW
Far Cry 2
Be Future Proof for COD 6 and HL2:EP3

Now how's about I add one more game there by creating a third specification:

Crysis (but only at 720p! as I know to play the game at 1080p would require a system well beyond my reach)

Now my thinking is for my specifications a good core i7 920 and 6GB of memory is a good start. Would this be too much though (I mean I know there is no such thing as too much but could I go with less and still handle what I want). In terms of graphics I do not know if I would need 2 mid range cards or 1 high end card.

At this point I am mainly worried about the processor, mobo, amount of memory (not particularly the brand), and graphics cards. What's the lowest these items could be had for? $1000 or less?

I want a starting baseline so I know where I can go from there.

I will note two things: I am not against AMD / ATI but if recommended going with either of them prepare to justify it to me, :-). Also, I am not afraid, necessarily to overclock, but I've never done it before and I am not sure what would be involved.

One more thing, would this machine require a separate heatsink for the CPU or would the stock heatsink and fan the CPU comes with be sufficient. I know this machine will probably require around at least a 750w PSU?

I have a nice 46" LCD HDTV that I am looking to do some 1080p PC gaming on and I would like a good machine that can handle the job. Also, I have a cousin who is looking to get his first gaming computer. he bought the Orange Box back when it was on sale for like $10 on Steam but because his basic laptop can't handle the Orange Box he wants a good computer. Our needs are quite similar and I'd like to be able set us both up with gaming computers that won't break the bank.

One last thought I figured if I go with a mobo that is 3-way SLI compatible then in the future if a game like maybe COD 7 or COD 8 starts to strain the system a little perhaps then adding an extra graphics card could help?, :) 

phew, I know that was a bit long-winded but I do appreciate any advice that you would all be willing to give!
July 22, 2009 8:35:18 PM

You are likely to get a better $1000 gaming experience with Phenom

955 be
790 fx mb
2 x2 gig of DDR3
2 x 4870 1 gig
750 watt psu
case
hard drive
dvd

should come out under $1000 , and even allow you to play crysis at 1080p
July 22, 2009 9:27:48 PM

Alright, I will definitely look into that setup but two things would that machine require overclocking and would you recommend I go with a separate heatsink or would the stock work fine?

EDIT - Also, when you say Crysis at 1080p is that with max settings you know like graphics settings on the highest setting with max AA and max AF? Because when I say max settings I mean with full AA and full AF
Related resources
July 22, 2009 9:47:50 PM

A build like I have mentioned will probably play Crysis at very high settings with no AA or AF on a 1080 p at acceptable frame rates .

have a look at this article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-versus-i7,23...
The idea was to build an i7 and a phenom system at the same price . With the phenom system that gives you more to spend on graphics cards because mb, cpu, ram are all cheaper . In graphically intense gaming the slightly weaker phenom cpu consistently out shone the intel system dollar for dollar .
Its not a perfect correlation for your system because their budget is larger than your $1000 .
You also have the advantage of running 1080p rather than the 1920 x 1200 they used which should increase your fps by about 11%

There are oc and stock speed results .

In about 15 mins I will be back with a suggested build
July 22, 2009 10:04:21 PM

Outlander_04 said:
You are likely to get a better $1000 gaming experience with Phenom

955 be
790 fx mb
2 x2 gig of DDR3
2 x 4870 1 gig
750 watt psu
case
hard drive
dvd

should come out under $1000 , and even allow you to play crysis at 1080p

your build comes out to about $1060 with an ASUS mobo 790FX, corsair 750TX, 4GB DDR3-1600, 2x4870 1GB XFX, Antec 300, WD Blue 640GB
July 22, 2009 10:12:56 PM

Heres a suggested gaming build , $1000 for 1080 p monitor

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition + ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX $320
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB $75

Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W + Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid TowerCase $192.50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $170 [ after MIR ] x 2 = $340

Total is $997.50
and it doesnt include
a dvd drive ~$25
or windows ~ 110 or free download of windows 7 till march next year

Places to save a bit
XFX HD-487A-ZHFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB $150 x 2 can save you $40 and will still run crysis ultra high no aa or af
Also consider dropping to a 320 gig drive . if its just for gaming then that will be plenty and will save you another $25
Spending some of this on an aftermarket cooler would allow an OC of the Phenom , but its not essential you do that .

PS . mindless you gotta shop around
July 22, 2009 10:37:01 PM

if Mirrors Edge is really important to you, you probably want to go with nvidia. Also, Supreme Commander will run much better with an i7....if you really want the best performance in your games for under $1000 you should go with i7, 6gb, 2x gtx275. of course in your original post you said just for the cpu, gpu, and memory. If you throw in the motherboard you have already spent $1000, so I hope you have everything else you need. You can save a little by using 2x gtx260.
July 23, 2009 12:06:23 AM

Wow thank you for the input I have a lot to consider here but I should say a few things. I currently have a bunch of hard drives including a 320GB SATA, a 1.5TB SATA, and a 10,000rpm 36.7GB Raptor (I put my Orange Box games on this drive as it proved to be just a little too small for my current OS. It was fine back when I was using XP but now it is not large enough.) But yes thanks for the hard drive recommendations though as my cousin doesn't have the hard drives that I do, :) 

Speaking of hard drives, what's the opinion on a 150GB SATA raptor?

Also I can understand the recommendation on the phenom but why the 4870s? What's wrong with Nvidia?, :) 

Also belial2k double check my post I said I would like a processor, mobo, ram, and graphics cards.

Also I am not necessarily looking to spend a $1000. I mean that's my budget but if I don't need to spend quite that much for my needs then that would be all the better.

My main point is is that I'm bringing in some extra cash this summer and I am trying to determine if I could get a good system this summer or I should bank my earnings and hold off until next summer and upgrade then.
July 23, 2009 12:51:23 AM

DaFees said:
Wow thank you for the input I have a lot to consider here but I should say a few things. I currently have a bunch of hard drives including a 320GB SATA, a 1.5TB SATA, and a 10,000rpm 36.7GB Raptor (I put my Orange Box games on this drive as it proved to be just a little too small for my current OS. It was fine back when I was using XP but now it is not large enough.) But yes thanks for the hard drive recommendations though as my cousin doesn't have the hard drives that I do, :) 

Speaking of hard drives, what's the opinion on a 150GB SATA raptor?

Also I can understand the recommendation on the phenom but why the 4870s? What's wrong with Nvidia?, :) 

Also belial2k double check my post I said I would like a processor, mobo, ram, and graphics cards.

Also I am not necessarily looking to spend a $1000. I mean that's my budget but if I don't need to spend quite that much for my needs then that would be all the better.

My main point is is that I'm bringing in some extra cash this summer and I am trying to determine if I could get a good system this summer or I should bank my earnings and hold off until next summer and upgrade then.

a 150 gig raptor is older technology and the newer PMR drives like the WD black are very close in performance . The only difference you'd notice would be to your wallet .
You may as well use what you have available .

To run nVidia cards in sli you'd need a board that supports SLI and that would have an nVidia chipset . They are available , but like the core 2 duo and quad boards they dont have a great reputation . The AMD 790fx series is rock solid and OC's well .
None of the nVidia chipset SLI boards i found are AM3 . They are all AM2 and use DDR2 memory.
Or to put it another way : if you want SLI on a Phenom you have to accept a poorer performing motherboard that limits your upgrade path .

Also
the 4870's are $150
and the nVidia equivalent is the GTX 260 216 for $150

The 4890's are $170
the nVidia equivalent is the GTX 275 and the best price on newegg is $184

$28 more

Another practical alternative for you is to head down the i7 path , and install a single GTX 275 .
I havent priced it but it will be under the $1000 limit if you choose components carefully . Later you can add a second GTX 275 .
July 23, 2009 11:18:23 AM

Thank you for the in depth explanation on ATI versus Nvidia with your build recommendations. Now I have a dumb question can ATI graphics cards handle PhysX? I know Nvidia cards can but does ATI have an equivalent option.

Also one other question at the moment. I do intend to do so right away but would a computer require any additional power to be able to play games in 3D using Nvidia's 3D stereoscopy glasses?
July 23, 2009 12:24:30 PM

There will be people much more qualified to advise you on this . I dont know much about it at all , except seeing some youtube vids and being impressed flags waving in breezes and shredding when you shoot them

ATI do have an equivalent system
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Havok-physics,5646...
http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/physics/index.h...

With 3d glasses I assume its all about the resolution . It takes more processing power to drive higher resolutions .
I have also heard of a system using 120 HZ LCD screens to display two 60HZ images alternately and produce 3d , but I dont know who was developing it

EDIT just found these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCaGb40Bz58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x0S0b_eG_M&feature=rela...

theres a lot of them
August 18, 2009 5:37:08 AM

Ok, sorry for reviving this thread but i want some more input now. I've done some research and came to the following build:

Intel Core i7 920
EVGA 3X SLI motherboard
3x2gb OCZ triple channel DDR3 memory
1xEVGA GeForce 896MB (not the 1792MB) 275GTX
Auzentech HomeTheater HD sound card (if it ever gets officially released. I mean they are taking pre-orders on their website but I can wait for it to show up on Newegg)
1xWD Caviar Black 750gb hard drive (I have one already (got it when newegg had it as a shell shocker), but my cousin doesn't and only being $5 more than the 640GB it's not to justify)
Corsair 620W PSU (I wasn't sure if this would be sufficient for the current setup and sufficient for if I wanted to add a second graphics card, would I be better to go with the 750w?)
NZXT Panzerbox Case (for myself. It's size will make it easier for me to cart around to friends houses for lan gaming) and a roomy Thermaltake (for my cousin. I think something like the Armor or the slightly cheaper soprano would do?)
Zalman heatsink for CPU (I assume this should suffice if I ended to dabble in some CPU overclocking, but nothing extreme?)

Throw in a nice K&M, dual DVD burners (SATA interface), a Samsung 24" monitor and I'm looking at about a $1900 - $2000 price tag? Does this seem right or could I do better? BIG QUESTION!: How does black friday (or cyber monday) work? Would I be able to significantly beat the price of this build on either of those days?

What is everyone's opinion on a barebones kit and adding in the missing components? What about buying a gaming computer at a big box store and upgrading it with parts from newegg? I only ask these questions because I myself would like to know (but I can wait) that and my cousin he is only 13½ but working hard and he'd like to get a decent gaming computer in the near future (and not wait as long as I could).

I've read a lot of benchmarks and know that the above system could handle my needs and his needs but I do have a few small questions. I know that in certain games adding a second GPU (another 275GTX) would increase performance but have the optimized 3-way SLI yet as in would adding two more 275GTXs really boost performance. Although now that I think about you really couldn't add a third card because then there would be no room for the sound card.

Here's a thought I find interesting, unless you are water cooling you can't have the best of everything: 3-way SLI and a sound card (and possibly a killer nic or a TV Tuner card). Although I guess one could argue that if you went with a card like the 295GTX (2 GPUs on one card) then you'd get Quad SLI with room left over but still only enough for a sound card.

I find it interesting that best non-watercooling enabled single slot (as in only takes up one expansion slot (not two)) graphics card is a 9800GT.

So enough with the side comments from myself, heh, any thoughts on my build? Any way I can beat my own price? And no I will not cut anything out but I will post links if needed. Also I should note that a chunk of my price comes from the fact the sound card currently pre-orders for $249 but might would be significantly cheaper if it ever became listed on Newegg.
August 18, 2009 6:22:31 AM

You will definately want to go up to a 750 since you plan to sli.

If memory serves me correctly, the 640 black will actually out perform the 750. I could be wrong on this.

And I know you said your not cutting anything, but what is the purpose of the sound card. Unless you record or are an audiophile you really don't need one as far as performance goes.
August 18, 2009 6:37:33 AM

DaFees said:
Ok, sorry for reviving this thread but i want some more input now. I've done some research and came to the following build:

Intel Core i7 920
EVGA 3X SLI motherboard
3x2gb OCZ triple channel DDR3 memory
1xEVGA GeForce 896MB (not the 1792MB) 275GTX
Auzentech HomeTheater HD sound card (if it ever gets officially released. I mean they are taking pre-orders on their website but I can wait for it to show up on Newegg)
1xWD Caviar Black 750gb hard drive (I have one already (got it when newegg had it as a shell shocker), but my cousin doesn't and only being $5 more than the 640GB it's not to justify)
Corsair 620W PSU (I wasn't sure if this would be sufficient for the current setup and sufficient for if I wanted to add a second graphics card, would I be better to go with the 750w?)
NZXT Panzerbox Case (for myself. It's size will make it easier for me to cart around to friends houses for lan gaming) and a roomy Thermaltake (for my cousin. I think something like the Armor or the slightly cheaper soprano would do?)
Zalman heatsink for CPU (I assume this should suffice if I ended to dabble in some CPU overclocking, but nothing extreme?)

Throw in a nice K&M, dual DVD burners (SATA interface), a Samsung 24" monitor and I'm looking at about a $1900 - $2000 price tag? Does this seem right or could I do better? BIG QUESTION!: How does black friday (or cyber monday) work? Would I be able to significantly beat the price of this build on either of those days?

What is everyone's opinion on a barebones kit and adding in the missing components? What about buying a gaming computer at a big box store and upgrading it with parts from newegg? I only ask these questions because I myself would like to know (but I can wait) that and my cousin he is only 13½ but working hard and he'd like to get a decent gaming computer in the near future (and not wait as long as I could).

I've read a lot of benchmarks and know that the above system could handle my needs and his needs but I do have a few small questions. I know that in certain games adding a second GPU (another 275GTX) would increase performance but have the optimized 3-way SLI yet as in would adding two more 275GTXs really boost performance. Although now that I think about you really couldn't add a third card because then there would be no room for the sound card.

Here's a thought I find interesting, unless you are water cooling you can't have the best of everything: 3-way SLI and a sound card (and possibly a killer nic or a TV Tuner card). Although I guess one could argue that if you went with a card like the 295GTX (2 GPUs on one card) then you'd get Quad SLI with room left over but still only enough for a sound card.

I find it interesting that best non-watercooling enabled single slot (as in only takes up one expansion slot (not two)) graphics card is a 9800GT.

So enough with the side comments from myself, heh, any thoughts on my build? Any way I can beat my own price? And no I will not cut anything out but I will post links if needed. Also I should note that a chunk of my price comes from the fact the sound card currently pre-orders for $249 but might would be significantly cheaper if it ever became listed on Newegg.

The build you assembled looks fine, try to shop around to get a good deal. I'd definitely pass on the sound card unless you are a real audiophile and have really high quality speakers or headsets. This basically solves the problem with dual or triple sli since a sound card is basically unneccesary unless you have really discerning ears.

If you were to wait until black friday, aka some time in november, you may as well put off this build since new stuff in right around the corner from intel, amd, ati, and nvidia.

In my opinion I'd avoid buying a generic computer and just adding in components, since they will generally use lower quality products than those that you purchase yourself. If you purchase your own products, it maybe a tiny bit more expensive, but you can assure yourself that you bought the best items that you can afford.

I'd also suggest maybe a xigmatech dark knight, core contact freezer or cogage true spirit for the cpu cooler, since they are all excellent, while being relatively cheap(<$40).

Microcenter I believe still has the 200 i7 920 deal going on, so if there is on near you check it out. I would strongly suggest ditching the sound card as well to save some cash. Your definitely going to want the 750 watt if you plan on going sli.

And yes, a second 275 should bring a pretty significant gain in fps, but anything beyond two is not worth the price.
August 18, 2009 6:44:58 AM

3 way SLI? i7? You're going about this the wrong way for trying to keep a low budget. First of all a single 4890 or GTX 275 will be more than enough for running games at 1080p. The money you save now by buying a cheaper motherboard (with ONE PCIex16 slot) can be put towards a new card in the future when newer games start pushing your current card to the limit. SLI (especially 3 way) is more for playing at abnormally large resolutions, you don't really need it from what I'm hearing. You might also considering going with a Phenom II instead of an i7, it's more than enough for gaming and it will save you more money to spend on that GPU upgrade down the road.
August 18, 2009 7:41:01 AM

Alright I understand everyone's comments up until this point. Thank you for clearing things up with the whole SLI and 3-way SLI stuff.

As for a sound card. My cousin could probably live without a sound card for the time being which would save him money but I myself who can wait would like the sound card. The specific cound card I referenced not only has HDMI in and out, it also has 7.1 analoug (not important if you can use HDMI but still). It can handle the latest HD audio found on blu-ray. I know this isn't important as my building doesn't contain a blu-ray drive and I have a PS3 but maybe someday I may upgrade. lastly and most importantly this sound card supports Creative's XF-I, EAX, and OpenAL which provides better sound immersion and whatnot in games. I should note that I do have a 7.1 sound system.

Also I will make sure to update my build accordingly to have a 750w PSU.

Lastly, can anyone confirm that 640gb WD Caviar outperforms the 750gb WD Caviar?

One last note is that yes a single 275GTX will handle the games of today at 1080p but I want the option of SLI so that a second card could be added down the road to be able to handle the games of tomorrow!

I thank you for responses and I shall keep everything in mind.
August 18, 2009 7:57:47 AM

Again, even with the 7.1 system you have, I would say almost all of the realtek onboard audio actually supports 7.1. Of course this is entirely up to you, but my suggestion would be to listen to onboard, and compare to the soundcard that you purchase, and if you dont hear at least a hundred dollars worth of performance, I would suggest returning it. As always this is your decision, my advice to just to make it wisely, since 250 can get you alot in hardware today. :) 

Regarding the 640 vs 750, the 640 uses a higher density platter, 2x320 gigs, vs the 750's 3x250 gigs.

This translates to higher performance, and less noise and heat since there are less platters.
August 18, 2009 8:38:13 AM

Alright, in that sense I could see where the 640 would then in fact offer better performance.

Another question about motherboards specifically. I notice some motherboards say that they support 3-way SLI (not that important but follow me here) but it says that it has 1 PCIE x16 slot, 1 PCIE x8/x16 slot and 1 PCIE x8 slot. How can this be I thought a PCIE slot needed to be x16 for a graphics card? I mainly ask this from the perspective of some day maybe adding a second card for SLI.

EDIT - I think of a board like this, EVAG Mobo, it says that it supports 3-way SLI but yet only of it's slots is x16. How does this work?

Also dumb question, but it would be ok to use a PCIE x1 device in a slot that is say x8 and not x1 right?
August 18, 2009 4:32:26 PM

you should get a board that has at least 2 true x16 running @x16, the third slot is less important and can run at x8 or x4.
YOU DO NOT NEED A SOUND CARD. I am an audiophile with a $10,000 + audio system...I output my PCs onboard sound to that system and it holds its own with everything else. All x58 boards have 7.1 and digital outs. There is nothing a sound card will add that your 7.1 system and DSP with the onboard audio cannot already do.
HDMI can be routed through your video card...if you are not doing both video and audio on the same cable there is no need to use HDMI. Almost all video cards come with a HDMI adapter if they don't have a native port.
You also mentioned a NIC card, which is another waste of money. NO review site has ever found any reason to add one of these cards. They do nothing for performance.
The only time you might find a better deal on a prebuilt system is on refurbs. In certain circumstances those will make sense, but it usually only for small budgets...you lose overclocking and other bios tweaks, and will eventually need to upgrade most of the components. There was a great i7 refurb with a 4850 for $700 from compusa a while back. Much cheaper than you could build it...deals like that are great for small budgets, and you can upgrade them as you get the funds. But you can't expect to walk in and find too many deals like that.
August 18, 2009 6:02:51 PM

Ok, can we get off the sound card bashing a second, :-) I don't doubt the claims but a sound card must do something otherwise why would companies make them and why would people buy them?

Also I agree dedicated NICs are a waste of money and I never insinuated that I wanted one it was just an example.

Anyways back to motherboards. If a motherboard says it has an x16 slot and a x8/x16 slot are both slots then true x16 slots or no?

EDIT - BIG QUESTION. Would the current graphics card be able to not only support 1080p gaming but PhysX processing as well. If not what would be a good recommendation for adding PhysX support to this build? (a second so-so graphics card?)
August 18, 2009 6:57:50 PM

only the ones running @x16 are true x16. Most of the x58 boards are x16,x16, x8, there are a few that are all three x16, and a couple with only two slots that are x16,x8. You can still run a second or third graphics card in the slower slots, but in the near future you'll want the true x16 slots, so if you are looking for a bit of future proofing that is the way to go.

They make the add in sound cards for old MBs that didn't have good built in sound. ANY x58 board has just as good of sound as any of the add in cards, and that is true for almost all current MBs. If you do recording or need a studio grade card, you'll spend about $500 - $1000. Those are better for that purpose, but most people don't need those capabilities and the software that goes with it, the normal add in cards don't improve on the MB sound.
August 18, 2009 7:17:42 PM

Yeah the argument of they make them so they must do something is pretty bad, since the reason could simply be that they want to make money. EG. NIC cards.

Like i said, just try it out and try to listen for a difference, no harm in returning it if you dont think it makes a difference, but just buying it because of advertising would be a poor decision.
August 19, 2009 3:06:43 AM

Alright I think I understand things now, but tell me then, is

this motherboard a good one, specifically does it have two true x16 slots. If that board fails to have two true x16 slots then could some one please make a comparable alternative suggestion?

Also I'd like to reiterate my PhysX question?
August 19, 2009 3:04:37 PM

I use that board right now (well the A-1 version of it). It has worked great so far. I run SLI on it, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC edition's. Any game can be handled by a GTX 275 right now.
August 19, 2009 5:02:33 PM

Regarding the physx thing, one 260 or 275 can handle the games as well as have physx support, there is honestly no reason to buy a dedicated physx card. Especially if your gonna sli already.
August 19, 2009 5:40:22 PM

I agree, I have 2 260's and they are more than enough for anything I throw at it. Crysis on the highest settings is smooth!

I also overclock though, so that makes a huge difference. All of the extra's and higher end cards are just for benchmarking :heink: 
August 19, 2009 7:40:33 PM

Alright, thank you for the help. I know overclocking isn't that hard. I don't know how to do it and I know that if you don't do it right you can really screw up your system, but that doesn't mean I am not willing to learn.

I have definitely got a good understand of what constitutes a good system with today's hardware.
August 19, 2009 10:00:57 PM

This is my Computer: (Just put it together last week)

I will most likely go Water Cooling though very soon.

Antec 1200 Full ATX Case (With Side and Middle Fan)
750W Corsair PSU
EVGA x58 A-1 SLI Motherboard
Core i7 920 CPU D0 @ 4.0 (AIR)
Cogage True Spirit CPU Cooler
OCZ Platinum 1600 DDR3 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
EVGA GTX 260 SuperClocked Core 216 SLI'd (2X)
WD 1 TB Black
August 20, 2009 6:36:15 AM

Cool, I notice you specifically mention that your core i7 has D0 stepping. I know processors can have different steppings (q6600 comes to mind) but does the core i7 920 offer different steppings? Does the stepping matter in this case? If it does be there a way to insure which stepping you would get?

Also I assume, jtmoney528, you are using 6gb of memory? As a frame of reference mind sharing some benchmarks. Like I know your machine could do 1080p but can you max out the AA and AF?
August 20, 2009 11:01:12 AM

@DaFees: ull want the D0 stepping, it OCs much nicer, and still runs cooler without the OC

@jtmoney528:
what resolution u playing crysis on, what FPS, and what AA/AF high/ultra?
August 20, 2009 5:24:22 PM

DaFees said:
Cool, I notice you specifically mention that your core i7 has D0 stepping. I know processors can have different steppings (q6600 comes to mind) but does the core i7 920 offer different steppings? Does the stepping matter in this case? If it does be there a way to insure which stepping you would get?

Also I assume, jtmoney528, you are using 6gb of memory? As a frame of reference mind sharing some benchmarks. Like I know your machine could do 1080p but can you max out the AA and AF?

C0 Stepping also. All of the new ones are D0 though. D0 requires less voltage on the chip for overlocking. I ordered mine from NewEgg, D0 is the new one so if you order one you should get D0:

27k is what my computer benchmarked on Vantage @ 3.8 OC not 4.0 OC and my card around 700/1500/1215 clocks, I can bring the cards much higher which I will try tonight. Your computer will never use more than 6 GB unless you are hosting multiple VM's.

micky_lund said:
@DaFees: ull want the D0 stepping, it OCs much nicer, and still runs cooler without the OC

@jtmoney528:
what resolution u playing crysis on, what FPS, and what AA/AF high/ultra?

This test was done on 1680x1050 but I have seen this exact setup on 1920 x 1200 and everything ran perfectly smooth. I do not recall the FPS AA/AF. I will have to talk to him again. We bought the same setup at the same time but he just has a larger monitor :pfff: 
August 21, 2009 3:29:16 AM

Alright, here is a thought, if I can tell my cousin not to worry about a sound card how's this for an alternative to my build: What if instead of going with a full atx mobo and mid-tower case what I suggested the following:

an EVGA mATX SLI mobo and an NZXT rouge case (I suggest this case over other SFFs because it supports 4 internal drives instead of the typical 2).

I suggest this alternative that way it would be easier for him or I to cart our computers back and forth to each other's houses for lan gaming.

My only concern would be is heat, but I think that could be manageable?
!