Sign in with
Your question

Using NAS as USB

Last response: in Storage
April 22, 2011 7:22:06 PM

Hi,

Ive a 1TB Iomega Network Hard Drive unit that will no longer power on.

The drive appears to be spinning fine but the enclosure seems to shut down shortly after being switched on.

Unfortunately I dont have a Sata Mainboard to connect it to.

I have tried to connect it to an external USB hard drive enclosure but it doesnt show up in Windows. The Found New Hardware bubble pops up but it cant see the drive or data in My Computer.

Im just wondering if what Im trying to do is possible, or if there is a Firmware issue with the drive not allowing me to use it correctly as a USB drive or if its something else.

I really do reckon the drive is ok but no sure how to access my data easily or cheaply.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : nas usb

a b G Storage
April 22, 2011 7:28:52 PM

When you say you tried to connect it up to an external USB hard drive enclosure did you just mean by using cables or you literally took the drive out of the Iomega and put it in the USB enclosure? The latter is likely to let you access the data.
April 25, 2011 3:39:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I took the drive out of my USB enclosure and replaced it with the drive from the NAS enclosure.

After doing this and then pluggin the drive into my computer, the found new hardware bubble pops up but no drive is visible in My Computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks, J
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
April 25, 2011 4:17:50 PM

I don't know anything about the Iomega network hardware, but if it has a built-in server than it's possible (probable?) that the drive uses a Unix file system.

Try downloading one of the "LiveCD" versions of Linux (such as Fedora or Ubuntu), burn it to a DVD and boot from it with the drive connected to your PC. If you can see the data on the drive then you should be able to copy it to another FAT- or NTFS-formatted drive that Windows will be able to deal with.
a b G Storage
April 25, 2011 9:29:38 PM

simply_j said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I took the drive out of my USB enclosure and replaced it with the drive from the NAS enclosure.

After doing this and then pluggin the drive into my computer, the found new hardware bubble pops up but no drive is visible in My Computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks, J

Is your drive setup as a master? I had the same problem when I hooked an IDE hard drive to a USB to IDE/Sata adapter. I had to set the drive as a master and then it showed up in My Computer. I just laid the drive on my desk and it worked good. It will show up as a hard drive in My Computer.

I do not know anything about the Iomega network drive either.
a b G Storage
April 26, 2011 1:35:53 AM

Since this is a SATA drive there is no master / slave setting.

I'd do what sminlal suggests by using a live CD. Although I'd expect Windows to still be able to see the drive regardless of file system type. Never tested it!
a c 415 G Storage
April 26, 2011 3:04:27 AM

Windows should show the drive in Disk Management but it won't assign a drive letter and make it visible in Windows Explorer unless it's got a Windows-compatible file system (which basically means FAT or NTFS).
April 26, 2011 9:25:37 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I took your advice sminlal and booted from Fedora Live CD.

I have the 1TB drive from my NAS enclosure plugged into my system via SATA/IDE adapter as my Sata controllers are bust on my mainboard. I also have a 160GB IDE drive plugged in.

Both drives show up fine in BIOS.

After booting from the Fedora Live CD, I clicked into My Computer. The 160GB drive shows up fine but no sign of the 1TB.

I went into Disk Utility and both drives show up.

All the drive and volume information for the 160GB drive is listed but very little information for the 1TB is known.

Under the VOLUME heading it shows 3 partitions, 25MB Unknown / 4.2GB Unknown / 996GB Unknown

Model: ST31000S20AS
Write Cache: -
Firmware Version: -
Partitioning: Unknown Scheme
Device: /dev/sdb

Any ideas?

Thanks again
a b G Storage
April 26, 2011 2:53:08 PM

Rusting In Peace said:
Since this is a SATA drive there is no master / slave setting.

I'd do what sminlal suggests by using a live CD. Although I'd expect Windows to still be able to see the drive regardless of file system type. Never tested it!

OOPS. Rusting in Peace is right, a sata drive don't use master/slave. I was talking about my IDE hard drive. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
a c 415 G Storage
April 26, 2011 4:18:36 PM

It doesn't look hopeful. The fact that it's showing you partition info suggests that the drive is at least functioning at some minimal level, and may in fact be perfectly OK. But the fact that the partitions are unknown even in Fedora means that there's no way to access the data in them (at least not that I'm aware of...). My first guess would be that the IOmega unit is using some sort of proprietary scheme.

But I'm not a data recovery expert - I rely on backups and have never had to actually recover a drive so I'm really not familiar with what tools are available.

Are there any IOmega forums around? Some folks more familiar with the hardware may be able to suggest something.
!