Hard Drive doesn't Show up in my computer

justinspc

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hello,
I just installed 2 500 WD hard drives in my PC. I formated them and set them up in striped mode and let the disk manager give the name drive E. Everything was good until I plugged in my external hard drive which is also drive E. After that my Hard drive will not show up in my computer. It shows up in the bios and disk manager but the drive name is blank. I tried to right click and change the name but I get a error saying please view log for more info. It wont let me format or anything. An

icy dock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hey Justinspc,

Are you able to change the Drive letter of either the external or the internal HDD? Does this issue follow when you unplug the external from the system? Since you had mentioned that both were the same drive letter (E), this could be the issue that you are having this moment. Please provide more information about your computers' spec; it may help out if the above doesn't resolve the problem.

Hope this will help you!

dmcomputerguy

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

Please tell us the hardware and Operating System (OS) specs.

Windows will rename the drive letter automatically when you plug in a new USB drive. That means the fact that both drives were called "E" at some point is not an issue.

Then again, I don't know if you are using Windows and if so, what version.

Latest posts