Quick...and likely stupid question on ram

manhattan01

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I just upgraded my RAM on my PC from 2GB to 4GB. I went from 2x1GB 800mhz 4-4-4-12 to 2x2GB 1000mhz 5-5-5-15. Now my board only supports up to 800 (EVGA nforce 680i). I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 shortly (hence the RAM upgrade).

My question is...is it worthwhile dropping the 2x1GB sticks back in to give me a total of 6GB? I'd be throttling down to 800mhz but that's not an issue since my board will do that to the 1000mhz sticks anyway. If it's not worthwhile, I'll try to sell them.

Thanks.

Specs:
EVGA nforce 680i
Intel Code 2 duo E6600 2.4ghz
EVGA geforce 8800 GTS 500MHZ 640MB

Solution
depending on what you do, most apps will have an unoticable difference, however if you do serious computing and run serious apps then faster ram will have, but windows 7 uses a lot of ram, 1GB on idle w/ a fresh install. Plus it has memory leaks, overtime is starts using more and more, its new and hasn't been fixed up as much as the older OS's have but its a damn good OS overall.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
depending on what you do, most apps will have an unoticable difference, however if you do serious computing and run serious apps then faster ram will have, but windows 7 uses a lot of ram, 1GB on idle w/ a fresh install. Plus it has memory leaks, overtime is starts using more and more, its new and hasn't been fixed up as much as the older OS's have but its a damn good OS overall.

Solution

manhattan01

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Thank you. The only real heavy work I intend to do is basic video editing - adding some music to video, cutting, splicing, etc. Likely with Sony Vegas. I think I will use the 6 GB as I'm pretty sure it will help though I think the next upgrade I go for will be a quad core followed by video card. Again, it's not something I will do all the time - just fix up some 3-4 minute videos of my daughter. I've done it before on my XP box but it's pretty slow going.