sucho14

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hey all,

Im looking into possibly getting a SSD for my computer. The PCIE ones really intrigue me with how fast they can read/write. The only thing is i have been reading that there have been problems with OCZ PCIE SSD's compatibility with ASUS mobo's which I have.

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Some say they got it to work with some effort but what kind of effort is involved here? What would I have to do or have trouble with? Would these PCIE SSD's be worth the hassle or is it just easier to get a SATA II one ( dont have SATA III )

-Thanks for any input

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
+1 I've got a 128GB Samsung SSD in my laptop and it's brutally fast. I can't ever see going back to traditional HDD for a boot drive ever again. Seriously with 128GB SSD's being $200 now it's well worth the extra for the sheer utter speed. First time I saw my laptop boot into Windows 7 Ultimate I was :eek: at it. literally 15 seconds from cold start to useable desktop with all gadgets loaded and nothing still initializing. The only thing I've found in the traditional HDD world that even comes close and even then is still a distant second would be a RAID0 of 10K Velicoraptor drives. If it's just a boot drive you could look at a 64GB Corsair Nova series drive. Here in Canada they are $100 now

The reason that SSDs make your system so much more responsive is that they have access times that are around 100 times faster than a hard drive. It's those fast access times that make the most difference, and they're not affected by SATA II vs. SATA III vs. PCIe.