ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Hi guys, I have had a Dell XPS 720 roughly two years, (before I learned about building and what not, building a new rig in a few days to replace the dell).

My problem is that sporadically my computer will trip the breaker, sometimes it occurs while the system is on seemingly at random. It is a rare occurance, it happened at load, and at idle.

Most recently, and this scared me enough not to use it anymore. I hit the power button, and everything in my house went off, and came back on.

I believe the culprit is more than likely the power supply unit, however, I had a local PC repair shop take a look at the PSU and they said it was fine. I imagine he just checked the voltages, and it does power on the system, I'm just suffering from occasional power outages.

Also, it's a 750watt supply, with a 24pin and 20pin connections to the motherboard, so BTX. Would it be worthwhile to replace the PSU? Or could it be another component?

At the time of these outages the breaker should not have been stressed, only the computer and monitor were plugged into that circuit and on.

Thanks very much for your help!

(originally had this in the Dell sub-category, but deleted it there and moved it here)

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Is it the main breaker? Your computer will only draw seven to eight amperes at maximum draw. What is the rating of the main breaker. It sounds like you have an electrical issue in your house, the breaker may be bad, going bad or the wiring in your house has a loose connection. I would suggest you get an electrian in and have him check the electrical circuits in the house.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Oldie, I have my computer connected to a Cyber Power battery backup/surge protector but my computer will still trip the breaker and thus shut everything off. Could it be that my Cyber Power cannot handle the power draw? I have a 300watt very basic computer plugged into it, and have not experienced the breaker tripping.

Howard it is just for the two rooms that are on one breaker, I believe. I'm no expert when it comes to electricity. Where would I check the rating?

I've had an electrician check the rooms that the circuit is on, he pulled out the plugs and checked the wires and didn't find anything wrong.

And Delluser, either way, I don't have a power supply on hand to test it.

Thank you for your replies!