Sign in with
Your question

Using VGA PS/2 & USB KVM with all types of connections

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2009 12:47:06 AM

I have a dilemma it seems. My current KVM is a HP 1x4 USB/PS2 KVM Switch. I have a newly built computer and a new monitor. The computer has a Nvidia video card with 2ea DVI outputs only. The monitor is one of those LCD Monitors that is also a computer monitor ... both VGA and DVI (among other) inputs.

What I thought would work ... hasn't:
1. screw in DVI to VGA adapter onto back of video card. Use VGA to VGA cable from adapter on outside of computer to console port on KVM.
2. Plug in USB Mouse and USB Keyboard into console USB ports on KVM
3. Run PC1 KVM cable from KVM to monitor -- VGA to VGA connection -- PS/2 connections to a dongle/USB adapter ... and plugged into USB in back of computer.

... when turning monitor to PC (this is the VGA I assume ... only other options are DVI, CATV, and HDMI) there is NO video output. I am temporarily running the DVI to DVI cable from the 2nd video card DVI out to the back of the monitor directly.
... also, the mouse and keyboard didn't work when I had them plugged into the KVM.

Thoughts?? Is the problem with the KVM you think? Or, with the DVI to VGA adapter? But, if so, then why didn't the keyboard or mouse work? I'm perplexed. The KVM is about 3 yrs old and in good shape.

Thanks,
Brian
December 5, 2009 12:56:31 PM

I have more or less the same problem Configuration as above. Keyboard and mouse works fine on both machines,. I do get output on machine with the NVIDIA card (2 DVI outputs, DVI-VGA adapter) but it is TERRIBLE. Any suggestions?
m
l
!