Radeon 5000 soon?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Are the Radeon 5000 series slated to come out soon? like before the end of the year? Cause I really want to upgrade to a 4870 or a 4890 (if i can find a deal), but i was hoping that the 5000's would eventually force 4000 series chips into a lower price. Even a reduction of just $20 would be significant enough to be a deal closer for me. So anybody have any news on the status of the 5000's?

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well most companies try to get their shinny toys out in time for the holidays and with win7 coming out oct 22 with dx11, I would think that Ati and nvidia would try and bring out some cards to highlight their new accomplishments.

billdo02

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
The new DirectX cards are in production and have been shown to a select group (see 100 people at Quakecon this weekend). There should be videos out there with the presentation on it. But we weren't allowed to see the actual card. I beleive they said November timeframe for release when we asked.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Official Fact: The ATI Radeon HD 5000 series or ATI Evergreen video cards will come out in September 10, 2009.

http://techpulse360.com/2009/08/12/amd-directx-11-evergreen-graphics-chips-you-wont-believe-your-eyes/ :D

The way i heard it the 10th is like a press release date, the 24th is the date i have heard for general release. Price wise its usual for prices to go down to shift old stock but its also usual for a small price rise as launch draws closer, kinda trying to panic people into thinking the price isnt going to get any better.
What we have now is i would think as low as it will get untill the cards actually come out, but im guessing. Do yourself a favour and wait, its a month but of course its down to your wants and needs in the end.
If you can afford to buy a 4870/4890 now and resell it for a 5 series if you like the look then that is obviously the all bases covered thing to do.

Mactronix

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Yeah I'm gonna wait cause one, I need a bit more $$$ to even get a 4870 or 4890, and I'll be starting work soon so that'll rake in a little bit of extra money to help pay for the cards.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Also, how superior is DirectX 11 going to be to DirectX 10? Cause wasnt the jump from 9 to 10 pretty significant? Is 10 to 11 going to be even better? Is it even going to be noticable by the human eye?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
oh well the main reason i want to upgrade my card anyways is for Microsoft Flight Simulator X. And the comparisons of DX9 and DX10 renderings were actually somewhat noticable. I'm not a huge gamer, just FSX and TF2 and FSX isnt even a DX11 compliant game so I dont need those cards, just some good (but cheaper) 4800's.

Depends on the features you enable in FSX as to whether GPU plays a major role or not (it's still heavily CPU dependant).

But here's the thing, unlike what was initially said by OC, the wait is short, and worth it for 2 big reasons;

A) it's a new series, with new features that may or may not have improvements at doing certain things in old and new games. DX11 or not, they may handle certain functions and dependant ops better and may handle threads or memory better, and this would help or might eventually help (with a patch) some geo heavy titles.... ...like some simulator games. Regardless of DX10, the G80s dominated many shader and texture heavy games because they were simply more efficient at things that held games like Oblivion back and finally let people crank them to 11 with things like the QARL texture add-ons.
This may or may not be the case this time around, but really it's about to be revealed in a few weeks, not a few months, isn't it worth the wait to find out what's new and what it means? :??:

B) ANY new launch puts downward pressure on cards, either just before or just after launch, and for this alone, if the HD4K or GF GT# is not something you absolutely need right now, then waiting is unlikely to cost you money.

Once again, since it's a few short weeks (almost feels like a few short days) until launch, and not a few months as previously postulated, then it's worth waiting in these rare cases.

IMO, my general rule is that it's worth waiting a month or so, but not many months for hardware, unless you already have something good (like a GTX280) and there are no/few 'value upgrade' options anyways, then it's simply a question of being worthwhile holding off and not wasting your money period.

Waiting sucks, but so does jumping the gun right before a launch.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
yes waiting does suck but i can live, and hopefully it'll pay off. i need to get all the money i can too before I buy anything like a new CPU or GPU. I'm looking at an AMD Phenom II 940 and like i've said a 4870 or 4890 (depends on price). And don't anybody go telling me to get an i7 cause 1 i dont have THAT much money, and 2 I've got an AMD board and thts wht I'll have for a loooooong time so I am not going to blow $150+ on an X58, so just dont even suggest and i7.

billdo02

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
http://www.techtree.com/India/News/ATIs_DirectX_11_Evergreen_Cards_on_Sept_10/551-105593-581.html

October 22 or later.

Also the shading and texelation are sooooooo much better than directx 10. but the real thing here is that ATI is developing all kinds of programs to take advantage of these new cards... some are available for download on current cards as beta testing.

But the first test will be when we see how dirt 2 plays on a directx 11 card... ATI is helping write the codes to make full use of directx 11. the shots we have seen so far are "live game not demo" shots. I want to beleive it but I will wait to see it after the final products are released.

If you read the article, they have no idea when they will arrive, just the old long guess of after Win7, which is no longer the common held belief since there is a press launch for the 10th of September and it makes sense for ATi to launch prior to DX11, just like nV launched prior to DX10 (which came with SP1, not Vista). So that Oct figure is very out of date by now, but perhaps they were thinking for the Indian market, and that usually lags N.Am. and Europe.

I suspect the launch will go through the typical stages, high end in late Sept, Midrange in Oct and low end in Nov (just in time for Xmas) and then Mobile versions in the new year.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I just hope that AMD isn't just trying to get bragging rights for the first DX11 card and doing a paper release.

The September press release would give AMD about 4-6 weeks to flood the e-tailors prior to Win 7. I wouldn't expect to be able to get a card in my hands until October... but there aren't any big game titles I'm aware of that would need a card upgrade from now until then, if you haven't already upgraded.

yep, I don't think it is a MUST to purchase a next-gen card till about maybe mid next year..... im purchasing another 260 as soon as the new cards come out just to make sure I get a good deal.... i see lots n lots of peeps waiting anxiously for the next gen cards to hit the stores, but I don't see the need since 95% of the games will look the same regardless.....

Overlord Keeper

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Yep I agree, with todays Graphic technology being as advanced as it is in the consumer world I belive it will be a while before you get games that outpace the top cards with DX 10.1. Unless your using an Nvidia GPU :)
Just kidding the newer Nvidia's are 10.1 I belive.

------------------

AMD Phenome II 940. - 8 Gigs 1066 Mushkin RAM.
3 T.B. Hdd Space - Biostar MotherBoard.
2 x 4890s in CrossFire. 650 Watt Coolermaster PSU
and 250 Watt Thermaltake GPU PSU.
Sound Blaster X - Fi Xtreme Gamer.

Seriously you should be BANNED from Tom's.... Out of the 140 posts you have, more than half of them contain " Please don't troll " and the other half are flames towards me and others ...... Maybe you are confused or you joined the wrong forum. Like I said before, if you are not here to help or learn then you are wasting your time.....

Btw if YOU cannot get 60FPS in Crysis using a midrange GPU then you are the one at fault, why post a stupid comment if you do not know squat about anything? :pfff: