Windows components keep trying to connect for DNS?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet, and
then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default settings?

Here's my problem in more detail.....

I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration problem
rather than malware.

For example, if I do the following:
Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit OK,
when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:DNS. When I block that, I get another
prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program, Source
IP: 0.0.0.0:Port 1030.

I also get connection prompts from several other programs including Windows
Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
button which is set as the ENTER key.

Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.

I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to stop
(in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.

After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
settings.

At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings files
as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe way
to do this?

PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
re-installation delete the original downloads?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows components connect
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Chipmonk, save your self a headache and do a clean install with new
    partiton and format. Save all your
    important stuff first.
    "Chipmonk" <no_mail_responses@required.thanx> wrote in message
    > How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
    > everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet, and
    > then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default
    settings?

    > Here's my problem in more detail.....
    >
    > I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
    > Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration
    problem
    > rather than malware.
    >
    > For example, if I do the following:
    > Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit OK,
    > when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
    > WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
    > Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
    > Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:DNS. When I block that, I get another
    > prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
    > Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program, Source
    > IP: 0.0.0.0:Port 1030.
    >
    > I also get connection prompts from several other programs including
    Windows
    > Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
    > button which is set as the ENTER key.
    >
    > Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
    > could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
    >
    > I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to stop
    > (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
    >
    > After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
    > installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
    > resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
    > settings.
    >
    > At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
    files
    > as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe
    way
    > to do this?
    >
    > PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
    > re-installation delete the original downloads?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

    Hi Rich, I deleted, re-created and formatted the partition. Installed XP,
    SP1 and a newer version of Zone Alarm - but I'm getting exactly the same
    prompts as before :(

    I've searched the Web, but they do not seem to be documented on Google,
    Usenet, MSKB or Zone Alarm's site.

    Can someone please check if you get these prompts too?

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Chipmonk, save your self a headache and do a clean install with new
    > partiton and format. Save all your
    > important stuff first.
    > "Chipmonk" <no_mail_responses@required.thanx> wrote in message
    > > How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
    > > everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet,
    and
    > > then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default
    > settings?
    > >

    > > Here's my problem in more detail.....
    > >
    > > I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
    > > Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration
    > problem
    > > rather than malware.
    > >
    > > For example, if I do the following:
    > > Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit
    OK,
    > > when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
    > > WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
    > > Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
    > > Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:DNS. When I block that, I get another
    > > prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
    > > Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program,
    Source
    > > IP: 0.0.0.0:Port 1030.
    > >
    > > I also get connection prompts from several other programs including
    > Windows
    > > Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
    > > button which is set as the ENTER key.
    > >
    > > Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
    > > could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
    > >
    > > I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to
    stop
    > > (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
    > >
    > > After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
    > > installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
    > > resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
    > > settings.
    > >
    > > At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
    > files
    > > as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe
    > way
    > > to do this?
    > >
    > > PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
    > > re-installation delete the original downloads?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
    remember it Prompted me for everything.
    I think that's why I stopped using it.
> [...]
    > > > could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
    > > >
    > > > I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to
    > stop
    > > > (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
    > > >
    > > > After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
    > > > installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
    > > > resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up
    connection
    > > > settings.
    > > >
    > > > At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
    > > files
    > > > as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a
    safe
    > > way
    > > > to do this?
    > > >
    > > > PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
    > > > re-installation delete the original downloads?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Uhhhh ... not sure how to tell you this, but that's kinda the point of a
    firewall. :-) It tells you when something's trying to access the Internet
    and you decide to either allow it forever, allow it once, block it once, or
    block it forever. [N.B. - Your firewall may not support all four of these
    choices but they are the set to select from.]

    By making intelligent and appropriate choices, after a few days/weeks you
    wind up with most programs that you always want to have access having it,
    most programs that you want never having access being blocked, and only a
    few left that you either want to decide on a case-by-case basis or that you
    haven't configured yet.

    --
    Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

    > I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
    > remember it Prompted me for everything.
    > I think that's why I stopped using it.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Richard, you are certainly correct on the value and the necessity of a
    good firewall but I was responding to
    his question about all the prompts. In no way was I telling him not to
    use a firewall. Zone Alarm is not the
    only one out there.
    > Uhhhh ... not sure how to tell you this, but that's kinda the point of a
    > firewall. :-) It tells you when something's trying to access the
    Internet
    > and you decide to either allow it forever, allow it once, block it once,
    or
    > block it forever. [N.B. - Your firewall may not support all four of these
    > choices but they are the set to select from.]
    >
    > By making intelligent and appropriate choices, after a few days/weeks you
    > wind up with most programs that you always want to have access having it,
    > most programs that you want never having access being blocked, and only a
    > few left that you either want to decide on a case-by-case basis or that
    you
    > haven't configured yet.
    >
    > --
    > Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    >

    > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
    > > remember it Prompted me for everything.
    > > I think that's why I stopped using it.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Well just for the record, these were mainly symptoms of a bug that I wish to
    document somewhere for the benefit of others, so here it is:

    Programs affected:
    Zone Alarm (all versions)
    Browser Mouse 1.0, 1.1 (file name: Mouse32A.exe Copyright 2001 by
    LEE,WEI-BIN.).

    Systems affected:
    Windows XP. Later versions were not tested.
    The behaviour was observed on both of the two Windows XP machines tested.

    Systems unaffected:
    Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium.

    Use of the Browser Mouse program is widespread and included by various
    manufacturers where their mouse products have extra programmable buttons.

    When pressing a user-programmed* mouse button, the Browser Mouse program
    will apparently use Windows API messages to:
    (1) Set keyboard focus to the application or control directly beneath the
    mouse pointer.
    (2) Perform the pre-programmed operation on that application or control.
    *Mouse buttons used in these tests were programmed to act as the ENTER key,
    Copy, Paste.

    Symptoms:
    Zone Alarm intercepts the Browser Mouse API messages. This results in Zone
    Alarm adding the focused application to its list of Programs under the
    Program Control tab. Zone Alarm sets all permissions for the application to
    "Ask".
    Other symptoms include the application and/or operating system temporarilly
    failing to respond.

    Example applications:
    The following well-known non-internet-aware applications were automatically
    added to Zone Alarm's Programs window by the procedure described:
    Calc.exe
    Notepad.exe
    Charmap.exe
    TaskMan.exe
    MSConfig.exe

    Conclusion:
    There may or may not be credible security implications for this, but in any
    case the problem is very annoying and makes for an unpleasant User
    experience, is distracting, arrouses a false suspicion of program or
    operating system infection and typically results in the user needlessly
    formatting and re-installing their operating system.

    It is also felt that Zone Alarm's Programs window pointlessly filling up
    with a long list of non-internet-aware applications could potentially
    degrade the User's awareness of a malicious application if one came to
    reside there.

    www.cor.org.uk

    > Richard, you are certainly correct on the value and the necessity of a
    > good firewall but I was responding to
    > his question about all the prompts. In no way was I telling him not to
    > use a firewall. Zone Alarm is not the
    > only one out there.
    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > > Uhhhh ... not sure how to tell you this, but that's kinda the point of a
    > > firewall. :-) It tells you when something's trying to access the
    > Internet
    > > and you decide to either allow it forever, allow it once, block it once,
    > or
    > > block it forever. [N.B. - Your firewall may not support all four of
    these
    > > choices but they are the set to select from.]
    > >
    > > By making intelligent and appropriate choices, after a few days/weeks
    you
    > > wind up with most programs that you always want to have access having
    it,
    > > most programs that you want never having access being blocked, and only
    > > few left that you either want to decide on a case-by-case basis or that
    > you
    > > haven't configured yet.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
    > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it
    > > > remember it Prompted me for everything.
    > > > I think that's why I stopped using it.

Configuration Connection Microsoft Windows XP