Windows components keep trying to connect for DNS?

July 16, 2004 3:18:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet, and
then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default settings?

Here's my problem in more detail.....

I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration problem
rather than malware.

For example, if I do the following:
Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit OK,
when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:D NS. When I block that, I get another
prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program, Source
IP: 0.0.0.0:p ort 1030.

I also get connection prompts from several other programs including Windows
Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
button which is set as the ENTER key.

Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.

I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to stop
(in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.

After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
settings.

At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings files
as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe way
to do this?

PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
re-installation delete the original downloads?
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:18:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Chipmonk, save your self a headache and do a clean install with new
partiton and format. Save all your
important stuff first.
"Chipmonk" <no_mail_responses@required.thanx> wrote in message
> How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
> everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet, and
> then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default
settings?

> Here's my problem in more detail.....
>
> I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
> Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration
problem
> rather than malware.
>
> For example, if I do the following:
> Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit OK,
> when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
> WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
> Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
> Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:D NS. When I block that, I get another
> prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
> Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program, Source
> IP: 0.0.0.0:p ort 1030.
>
> I also get connection prompts from several other programs including
Windows
> Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
> button which is set as the ENTER key.
>
> Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
> could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
>
> I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to stop
> (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
>
> After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
> installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
> resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
> settings.
>
> At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
files
> as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe
way
> to do this?
>
> PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
> re-installation delete the original downloads?

July 16, 2004 10:36:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Hi Rich, I deleted, re-created and formatted the partition. Installed XP,
SP1 and a newer version of Zone Alarm - but I'm getting exactly the same
prompts as before :(

I've searched the Web, but they do not seem to be documented on Google,
Usenet, MSKB or Zone Alarm's site.

Can someone please check if you get these prompts too?

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Chipmonk, save your self a headache and do a clean install with new
> partiton and format. Save all your
> important stuff first.
> "Chipmonk" <no_mail_responses@required.thanx> wrote in message
> > How can I delete not only my network/Internet configuration files, but
> > everything on WindowsXP related to the setup of the network/Internet,
and
> > then force WindowsXP to reinstall everything in original, default
> settings?
> >

> > Here's my problem in more detail.....
> >
> > I keep getting Windows services/components trying to connect to the
> > Internet, mainly for DNS. I strongly suspect this is a configuration
> problem
> > rather than malware.
> >
> > For example, if I do the following:
> > Click Start -> Run -> type "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dcomcnfg.exe" and hit
OK,
> > when the window opens, click to expand the "Components" category and
> > WindowsXP will slow down, then Zone Alarm will prompt me with "COM
> > Surrogate" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe) is trying to connect to the
> > Internet, Destination IP: 0.0.0.0:D NS. When I block that, I get another
> > prompt from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow "Microsoft Management
> > Console" (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe) to act as a server program,
Source
> > IP: 0.0.0.0:p ort 1030.
> >
> > I also get connection prompts from several other programs including
> Windows
> > Help, Search, Windows Explorer, even my mouse when I use the programable
> > button which is set as the ENTER key.
> >
> > Well I had this problem several months ago and nobody on the newsgroups
> > could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
> >
> > I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to
stop
> > (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
> >
> > After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
> > installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
> > resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up connection
> > settings.
> >
> > At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
> files
> > as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a safe
> way
> > to do this?
> >
> > PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
> > re-installation delete the original downloads?

July 17, 2004 4:54:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
remember it Prompted me for everything.
I think that's why I stopped using it.
> [...]
> > > could shed any light. Google also drew a blank.
> > >
> > > I probably caused this myself when I was setting up XP and trying to
> stop
> > > (in the registry) the NetBIOS ports from listening.
> > >
> > > After recently fitting a new mainboard I had to perform a repair
> > > installation of XP to get it working, but surprisingly this weird "DNS
> > > resolving" problem persists. I noticed it kept all my Dial-Up
connection
> > > settings.
> > >
> > > At this stage I just want to delete as much of the WindowsXP settings
> > files
> > > as I can, then do another repair installation. Can anyone suggest a
safe
> > way
> > > to do this?
> > >
> > > PS. I don't mind reinstalling all my programs too, but would a full
> > > re-installation delete the original downloads?

July 17, 2004 8:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Uhhhh ... not sure how to tell you this, but that's kinda the point of a
firewall. :-) It tells you when something's trying to access the Internet
and you decide to either allow it forever, allow it once, block it once, or
block it forever. [N.B. - Your firewall may not support all four of these
choices but they are the set to select from.]

By making intelligent and appropriate choices, after a few days/weeks you
wind up with most programs that you always want to have access having it,
most programs that you want never having access being blocked, and only a
few left that you either want to decide on a case-by-case basis or that you
haven't configured yet.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o PDzVfDbEHA.3480@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
> remember it Prompted me for everything.
> I think that's why I stopped using it.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 8:11:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Richard, you are certainly correct on the value and the necessity of a
good firewall but I was responding to
his question about all the prompts. In no way was I telling him not to
use a firewall. Zone Alarm is not the
only one out there.
> Uhhhh ... not sure how to tell you this, but that's kinda the point of a
> firewall. :-) It tells you when something's trying to access the
Internet
> and you decide to either allow it forever, allow it once, block it once,
or
> block it forever. [N.B. - Your firewall may not support all four of these
> choices but they are the set to select from.]
>
> By making intelligent and appropriate choices, after a few days/weeks you
> wind up with most programs that you always want to have access having it,
> most programs that you want never having access being blocked, and only a
> few left that you either want to decide on a case-by-case basis or that
you
> haven't configured yet.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] rgharper@email.com
> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>

> "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:o PDzVfDbEHA.3480@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I am not that familiar with Zone Alarm but the last time I used it I
> > remember it Prompted me for everything.
> > I think that's why I stopped using it.

August 1, 2004 8:47:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Well just for the record, these were mainly symptoms of a bug that I wish to
document somewhere for the benefit of others, so here it is:

Programs affected:
Zone Alarm (all versions)
Browser Mouse 1.0, 1.1 (file name: Mouse32A.exe Copyright 2001 by
LEE,WEI-BIN.).

Systems affected:
Windows XP. Later versions were not tested.
The behaviour was observed on both of the two Windows XP machines tested.

Systems unaffected:
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millenium.

Use of the Browser Mouse program is widespread and included by various
manufacturers where their mouse products have extra programmable buttons.

When pressing a user-programmed* mouse button, the Browser Mouse program
will apparently use Windows API messages to:
(1) Set keyboard focus to the application or control directly beneath the
mouse pointer.
(2) Perform the pre-programmed operation on that application or control.
*Mouse buttons used in these tests were programmed to act as the ENTER key,
Copy, Paste.

Symptoms:
Zone Alarm intercepts the Browser Mouse API messages. This results in Zone
Alarm adding the focused application to its list of Programs under the
Program Control tab. Zone Alarm sets all permissions for the application to
"Ask".
Other symptoms include the application and/or operating system temporarilly
failing to respond.

Example applications:
The following well-known non-internet-aware applications were automatically
added to Zone Alarm's Programs window by the procedure described:
Calc.exe
Notepad.exe
Charmap.exe
TaskMan.exe
MSConfig.exe

Conclusion:
There may or may not be credible security implications for this, but in any
case the problem is very annoying and makes for an unpleasant User
experience, is distracting, arrouses a false suspicion of program or
operating system infection and typically results in the user needlessly
formatting and re-installing their operating system.

It is also felt that Zone Alarm's Programs window pointlessly filling up
with a long list of non-internet-aware applications could potentially
degrade the User's awareness of a malicious application if one came to
reside there.

www.cor.org.uk