Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Given the cost of high-end coolers, would one be better served by buying a faste

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 22, 2011 5:31:58 PM

Some of the better water cooling systems can get well over $100.00 allowing for overclock speeds that typically could be purchased in a higher-speed chip yes?
Of course this assumes a certain budget of spending, else one would buy the fastest CPU and then high-end cooling.
What I'm asking is:
IF someone had $400 (for example) to throw at a CPU and cooling setup, would spending most of it on a faster CPU and a good fan cooler (which could still be OC'd to a certain extent) compared to a lesser CPU and really-good water cooler?

Best solution

August 22, 2011 9:42:34 PM

Hello , personally I would go with a mid level chip , preferably amd for me, like a 3.7 phenom , that the best you can get for an affordable 169.00, and it will overclock to a comfortable 4 or 4.1 , anything you get amd wise will only max out around 4 anyways , if its a dual core or a 6 core. so stay around something high end proccessor and affordable. I wouldnt even bother going super high end cooler if not needed. I would go with an h100 corsair for h80 and still save some money for a decent case and more coling fans to lower your temps. let me know and I have plenty advice on different water coolers.
Share
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 6:20:35 PM

the more i read up on closed loop water cooling systems like the cosairs, the more reluctant i am to buy them. air cooler do not offer the same heat dissipation as a cold water cooler, but once that water cooler warms up, it performs less than a good air cooler.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 27, 2011 8:15:36 PM

if you do choose air I would go with the thermaltake frio ,I have one and it works really well
m
0
l
August 28, 2011 4:14:34 AM

luckily i have a very large case for it , it is a great air solution. good luck !!
m
0
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
August 28, 2011 4:18:03 AM

Hyper 212+ or noctua NHD-14
m
0
l
September 4, 2011 12:31:18 AM

JDRUM said:
Hello , personally I would go with a mid level chip , preferably amd for me, like a 3.7 phenom , that the best you can get for an affordable 169.00, and it will overclock to a comfortable 4 or 4.1 , anything you get amd wise will only max out around 4 anyways , if its a dual core or a 6 core. so stay around something high end proccessor and affordable. I wouldnt even bother going super high end cooler if not needed. I would go with an h100 corsair for h80 and still save some money for a decent case and more coling fans to lower your temps. let me know and I have plenty advice on different water coolers.



Thank you for the advice.
I purchased an H70 ($69) and installed with 2 fans that has substantially cooled CPU temps from the stock fan, in fact, so much that I am quite impressed.
I'm currently running an Athlon x645 running stable at just over 3.5. I've managed speeds closer to 3.7 but that setup freezes randomly (sometimes once every few days, and sometimes a few times a day), however never because of heat that I can tell. So far, the cooler has kept the temps below 50C.

I will be replacing my CPU with a 1100T BE, but have also wondered how well and how far a x4 965 might perform in an OC setup.

Thank you (thanks everyone) again for the advice.
m
0
l
September 4, 2011 2:50:53 PM

Mrthorp said:
the more i read up on closed loop water cooling systems like the cosairs, the more reluctant i am to buy them. air cooler do not offer the same heat dissipation as a cold water cooler, but once that water cooler warms up, it performs less than a good air cooler.


So far, in my very limited experience, the water cooler is doing an incredible job at keeping the CPU cool. My ambient air working environment is between 70F and 80F ( 21 - 26.6C ).

At just under 3.6 speeds, and with testing, I've pushed the 4 cores of my CPU (x645 athlon) to 100% for over an hour with the temps never going above 46C, and room temps at that time was 78F (25.5C).

At normal usage/idle, the CPU temps are never more than 5-7 degrees C above room temps with is pretty amazing to me.

So far, no freezes or other problems (5 days of use).

Of course, this all assumes that the temps being reported by the chip/motherboard are reasonably accurate.

There's no way to know how well, and for how long the H70 will perform, but that's true with most any electronic device, so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/input.
m
0
l
September 4, 2011 4:33:58 PM

Your very welcome keep posted on how things are going , im getting ready to build a monster set-up tonight , ill let you know how it goes , ill be using and h80 cooler in a rosewill thor case!.
m
0
l
September 5, 2011 1:08:28 AM

JDRUM said:
Your very welcome keep posted on how things are going , im getting ready to build a monster set-up tonight , ill let you know how it goes , ill be using and h80 cooler in a rosewill thor case!.



Very nice! I meant to post back earlier today, that I'd made a mistake on the model of the Corsair unit. It's an H60, not 70!
Good luck with your build tonight!
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 2:14:49 AM

Best answer selected by four2x4.
m
0
l
!