Dead (or dying) video card, you decide!

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
My system is about 2 months old, specs in sig. Namely a sapphire 4890 OC'ed to 925/1000.

I was playing Empire: Total War this morning and everything was great. I then exited the game. After that I hooked up my computer to my TV (42inch LCD 19x10) instead of my monitor (24inch LCD 19x12) in order to watch a Blu-Ray. So I disconnected the HDMI cable from my monitor and hooked it up to my TV. Well it didn't like that, but when I hooked my monitor back to my computer via another HDMI cable (so that both displays were alive) everything was fine. I got a few screen flickers but that is normal enough when changing displays. So I proceed to watch Watchmen, which took about 3 hours (extended version). After that I disconnect my TV leaving only my monitor alive.

Then I go back to fire up Empire. Everything is fine when I get to the Main Menu. I then try to begin a new Grand Campaign. During the loading screen I notice that the image looks a bit blurry, like it's the wrong resolution. Then when the map loads, BLAMO, it looks like a japanese gameshow on meth. It's just colors, shapes of colors that vary widly and move about. I can see the labels of where the cities are, but no landscape per se just these color patterns. It looks like what happened the last time I tried to run a game without hardware up to snuff, when I didn't have proper shader support and the game would behave similary. Now I know this isn't the case here my system is fine and like I said I played the game 3 hours eariler with no problem. I went in via the Main Menu to check the graphics settings. Nothing was out of place or had been changed. Every setting was exactly the same as it had been 3 hours before. I'm at a loss here.

I've ran other games to make sure it wasn't a specific game issue. Sins of a Solar Empire was lacking in some ship detail but most of it looked ok. Oblivion looked ok, but the ground seemed washed out. Fallout 3 was pretty noticeable. My character and the ground was fine, but the big rocks and boulders where all VERY plain looking. There was no detail at all in them. So now I've got degraded performance across a few games. It's just weird that its just the rocks and boulders in FO3 but Empire is fubar'd.

What could have possibly gome wrong. I very much doubt that somehow the display changes made a difference. And how would running Cyberlink PowerDVD for 3 hours effect my game? I don't know but it's the ONLY thing I did between when the game worked and when it did not. All diags performed on my card itself pass, but I'm leaning towards a hardware problem unless you guys have some insight.

EDIT: Medieval Total War 2 performs fine across the board, as does Caesar 4. It seems the older games work much better while the newer games suffer. So is it, DX10?, shader model 3?, something in conflict between my blu-ray player and ATI drivers? I would think if the card itself was going to brick it would brick in all games. Now I'm really unsure.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks Mate, it was first thing on my list to do this morning.

It worked, or at least it seems to have worked. The games which were buggered up aren't anymore.

I'll be damned if I know what actually went wrong, but thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.