Sign in with
Your question

Disabling the 3 gb windows memory switch in xp

Last response: in Memory
January 15, 2010 12:56:59 PM

I enabled the 3 gb switch on a XP several months ago and now wish to revert back to the original 2 gb setting. How do I disable the switch?
January 15, 2010 7:01:26 PM

XP should use all the RAM available up to its 4GB limit. There should be no need for you to do anything to force it to use less RAM. If you removed RAM from your computer it will know that when you boot it up.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 15, 2010 7:24:26 PM

remove the /3gb switch in your Boot.ini (start - sysedit to bring up the various .ini files and find the Boot.ini and you should see the /3gb switch just delete it and then resave your boot.ini file)

It should look something like this :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

SO just delete the /3GB leaving the rest of that line intact and save to get rid of that switch and then reboot to return to the default.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 7:28:28 PM

WinXp maxes out at 4Gb, normally using 2Gb for application and 2Gb for Windows Executive SW.

Shameless copy and paste below

The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above 2 GB..

You enable the /3GB switch simply by modifying your BOOT.ini as shown below

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /3GB

so it stands to reason that you could disable the /3GB switch by simply removing the /3GB from that line in your BOOT.ini

further details
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PA...

ummm, yeah, what JDfan said about 15 seconds before me ;-)
m
l
a b } Memory
January 15, 2010 7:32:45 PM

amdchuck said:

ummm, yeah, what JDfan said about 15 seconds before me ;-)

LOL - happens to me all the time - funny thing is you linked the same article I made the cut\paste from to give the example !
m
l
January 15, 2010 8:25:38 PM

ha, yeah I noticed the question marks where the OS should be specified...hope he didn't put that part in his BOOT.ini :kikou: 
m
l
!