• MSI-Microstar
  • BIOS
  • Computer
  • Boot
  • Jumper
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2010 1:34:50 PM

is the motherrboard damaged after I forgot to change jumpers back to proper position before restarting thanks BP

More about : computer wont boot started jumpers clear bios position

January 15, 2010 3:16:18 PM

well all motherboards are different and you don't specify which one you have so I can only speculate but in general, you should be removing power prior to shorting the pins and not reapplying power (not to mention starting up) until the CMOS procedure is complete and the jumper is back in it's normal position.

I don't know if it would damage the motherboard or not but wouldn't expect it to....you don't really describe what problems you are encountering so I can't really offer anything further.....
m
l
January 22, 2010 12:50:16 PM

amdchuck said:
well all motherboards are different and you don't specify which one you have so I can only speculate but in general, you should be removing power prior to shorting the pins and not reapplying power (not to mention starting up) until the CMOS procedure is complete and the jumper is back in it's normal position.

I don't know if it would damage the motherboard or not but wouldn't expect it to....you don't really describe what problems you are encountering so I can't really offer anything further.....

Thanks for your reply.
I was clearing the cmos I had the power off, I was called away and when i returned some time laterforgot and started the machine ir is a MSI P6NGM2 series, will i have to scrap it the manual states the mother board will be damaged does this mean the bios chip is damaged and can be replacet or flashed.Mother boards are droping in price so is it worth the trouble.
thank you again
WP
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2010 4:19:02 PM

Yeah, you are absolutely correct, your manual explicitly states that the motherboard will be damaged if it is under power with the clear CMOS jumper shorted.

As far as what it damaged....I can't really answer that, though if they warn against it in the manual, it probably causes significant damage and generally would be beyond repair....unless you are handy with a soldering gun and electronic circuitry.

Might be time for a new motherboard....
m
l
January 22, 2010 8:09:14 PM

amdchuck said:
Yeah, you are absolutely correct, your manual explicitly states that the motherboard will be damaged if it is under power with the clear CMOS jumper shorted.

As far as what it damaged....I can't really answer that, though if they warn against it in the manual, it probably causes significant damage and generally would be beyond repair....unless you are handy with a soldering gun and electronic circuitry.

Might be time for a new motherboard....

Thank you again I will order a new one comparable to it.
BP
m
l
January 22, 2010 9:11:16 PM

no problem, it might be worth your time to drop an e-mail to MSI's tech support just to inquire as to what sort of damage it may have done and if it is repairable. I can't speak to MSI's tech support quality as I have never owned an MSI product but, if like you speculated, it just damaged the chip itself, maybe you can simply replace it (the chip not the entire motherboard).
m
l
January 22, 2010 10:04:51 PM

I had a simular incident (Flashing BIOS) with an ASUS board. I called Tech SPT and they mailed me a new chip free of charge. Depending on the Manf. That's about $25 + Shipping.

Personnaly, I like FREE.
m
l