Your question

Core i7 930 2.8 to 4.0 with P6T Mobo OC Question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2011 8:04:33 PM

Hey all, this is my first real attempt at overclocking my computer, and I have been reading guide after guide. I currently am using the Core i7 930 2.8 D0 chip on a Asus P6T Mobo with 6gigs of DDR3-1600. I have tried different overclocks so far, but they all come out to but unreliable and crash. The settings I've changed and have been using are as followed:

Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 21
Speedstep: Disabled
BCLK 191
PCIE 100
DRAM Freq DDR3-1531Mhz
CPU Volt 1.28
QPI/DRAM 1.35
DRAM Bus Volt 1.66
Load-Line Enabled
CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
PCIe Spread Spectrum Disabled
C1E Support Disabled
A20M Disabled
C-State Disabled

With these settings I am getting between 47-51c heat on just idle without running Prime95. What do you feel should be changed up? I read that the D0 chips required less voltage than the C0, but could that be wrong? Thanks in advance!

More about : core 930 p6t mobo question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2011 10:02:44 PM

Did you go right to 191 or did you work your way up to it? 51c is that on the cores or cpu temp? Turbo on or off?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 2:03:47 AM

Some points on overclocking:

1) will not benefit video games unless your CPU is a bottleneck. In your case you'd need at least two GTX560Ti's to likely require an overclock.

2) BIOS updates sometimes solve instability issues. Update if it's out of date.

3) RAM can cause crashes. Run MEMTEST for a few hours. www.memtest.org

4) purchase a non-stock CPU heatsink. See NCIX. Spend $30 to $50

5) ensure adequate case ventilation. I recommend two 120mm case fans (in general, varies). Fan#1 at bottom-front, and Fan#2 at top-rear. Should be SLOW, QUIET and run at a constant speed.

6) Non-stock heatsink fans run at 100% if not configured properly:
- fan must be plugged into the CPU fan slot
- BIOS must be set right (mine was set to AUTO but needed VOLTAGE)

7) Settings to change:
I have a utility from Gigabyte which enables me to easily choose my overclock then reboot. Easy. If you need to do it in the BIOS it usually only requires one or two settings to be changed. I'm not sure why you are changing so many; you may be messing up timings and settings.

My advice is start small and run a CPU stress application after each change. I think there's a Prime95 multi-core version.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2011 2:23:28 AM

Bipedal, yeah I did go right up to 191, and the CPU was at 51c. Core 1-4 were at 47-50c. Also, I actually don't have a Turbo mode in my Bios.

Photon, I am using a Dark Knight CPU fan, a Nvidia 560 Ti OC DS video card, and my case is a RV01. The reason why I am changing so many settings is because the guides I've been reading suggest it. Maybe I am reading to much into it?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 7:40:56 AM

Did you realize that you can install the TurboV application from your motherboard support site?

I assume it works like my Gigabyte version. You choose from a couple of overclock choices, reboot and its done. Easy peezy. It takes me five seconds to choose and one minute to reboot. I overclock ONLY when converting videos since otherwise it just adds heat and thus fan noise.

Let me know how that works.

So:
1) check BIOS updated
2) confirm motherboard drivers up to date
3) run MEMTEST to test RAM
4) RAM BIOS settings to DEFAULT profile
5) install and run TurboV
6) run Prime95 or other CPU stress test and rerun MEMTEST

I assume this is you:
http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6...
m
l
August 23, 2011 12:28:09 PM

Alright thanks for letting me know. Yeah I have TurboV, but did everything through the Bios. I was not sure if the TurboV setting "stuck" or what not. But I will give TurboV a shot instead of the Bios. Yeah, that Mobo is me.

Also I have a question regarding my heat. With my Mobo design, should I move to video card to PCI Express x16 slot 2 instead of keeping it at 1? I notice when looking at the board, PCIx 1 is setting right next to the south bridge, literally. If I moved my card, would it reduce heat any?

Sorry for all the questions
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 1:16:01 PM

What motherboard do you have? It could be you don't have the option to change turbo mode, but you board should still have turbo.

I recommend going with a lower overclock as a starting point and work you way up from there. Not all 930's will do over 3.8ghz, just fyi.
m
l
August 23, 2011 2:16:52 PM

My motherboard is the Asus P6T, and thanks for the tip Bipedal, I will try what you suggested.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 25, 2011 5:20:48 AM

HEAT ISSUE QUESTION:

Moving your graphics card would not REDUCE the heat overall, but it would reduce the heat on the graphics card (I guess what you are asking).

Yes, definitely move the graphics card if it will receive less heat.

It should benchmark the same, but to be certain I recommend you use any benchmark such as one of the 3DMarks to be certain. I still use the old 3DMark2001se and simply run the default setting.

so:
1. Run 3DMark2001se or other graphics benchmark utility and write down the SCORE.
2. Power OFF your computer (not just Hibernate).
3. Swap card positions.
4. Rerun the benchmark. It should be the same, or almost exactly the same score.

**Let me know if you have luck with my TurboV advice.

To be clear, I run my CPU at stock speeds until I have to convert videos, then I:

1. Open my Gigabyte overclock application
2. Set to the highest pre-set of 3.8GHz overclock
3. REBOOT

When I'm done I do the same thing but set it to STOCK speeds. That's it!

Occasionally there were updates to this utility and others. Motherboards often receive frequent updates which usually slow down to almost nothing a year after the motherboard is released. In fact, one of the main reasons I recommend Asus and Gigabyte motherboards is good driver support.
m
l
!