Very slow after reformat

kLPantera

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

Yesterday my Dell Latitude D360 froze so I held down the power button to turn it off. When I turned it back on, I received the "unmountable boot volume." I tried to repair, but it wouldn't work so I decided to reformat. When I began the reformat, the NTSF would always do it very slowly. After about 1 hour it was only at 10% and my hard disk drive is only 76gbs. So instead, I did an NTSF (quick) installation, however now everything is slow. It takes maybe 30 seconds to boot up to the log in screen and simple things such as changing the desktop background takes a couple seconds as well. Yet browsing the internet is completely fine, do I need a new hard disk drive?

Thanks

Right click my computer > Manage > Disk Management
What is reported for the HD

> Event Viewer: Any errors in any Tabs ?

Run a chkdsk on your drive ?

kLPantera

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
In Disk Management it says Healthy System. For Event Viewer I have:

Application, Log, Application Error Records, 64.0 KB
Security, Log, Security Audit Records, 64.0 KB
System, Log, System Error Records, 64.0KB

For chkdsk am I supposed to do chkdsk /f?

G

Sounds like your hard drive is going bad. Reboot your computer and hit F12 when you see the Dell BIOS splash screen. Choose Hard Drive Diagnostics from the list and test the hard drive.

kLPantera

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I ran a diagnostic but I didn't get any results or whatever. In System Errors I do have some atapi and hard drive errors. Apparently I have a bad block, but I don't know if it's the same block or multiple bad blocks (the error comes up multiple times, same with the atapi error). Also, I have just become aware that my laptop no longer charges my battery after I reformatted. Currently I'm not using the AC adapter that came with the laptop, it's an AC adapter that is compatible with multiple brand. My Dell Latitude D630 recognizes it and will use the AC Power, but will not charge the battery.

I'm not sure what to do, I think I need to buy a new hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS