Sign in with
Your question

Building new Gaming rig - SSD yes or no?

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2011 2:08:19 PM

I m building a new Gaming PC and i would like to know if i should consider getting an SSD...if so..which one? I've been reading a thousan threads / posts about problems on pretty much any SSD released so far.. others implaying that happened due to missuse...others that such reviews are faulse etc. etc.
So i m lost...in the beginning i was thinking of buying an OCZ Vertex 2 or Agility 2 / 120GB (not sure which one is better :S ) ...but after reading all these stuff...it made me wonder if they have the similar to HDDs problems of defragmentation and wether i should partition for windows and use the rest for some programms and main games i m gonna be playing all the time.
Could someone please answer my questions and ease my worries if possible? xD I would really appreciate that...thank you in advance.
April 24, 2011 2:58:50 AM

TNTee said:
I m building a new Gaming PC and i would like to know if i should consider getting an SSD...if so..which one? I've been reading a thousan threads / posts about problems on pretty much any SSD released so far.. others implaying that happened due to missuse...others that such reviews are faulse etc. etc.
So i m lost...in the beginning i was thinking of buying an OCZ Vertex 2 or Agility 2 / 120GB (not sure which one is better :S ) ...but after reading all these stuff...it made me wonder if they have the similar to HDDs problems of defragmentation and wether i should partition for windows and use the rest for some programms and main games i m gonna be playing all the time.
Could someone please answer my questions and ease my worries if possible? xD I would really appreciate that...thank you in advance.

Most people buy a SSD drive with enough space to run their OS + a few games. and then have a secondary drive for storage.
If your mobo supports SATA III consider getting a SSD that supports that, such as the Crucial RealSSD C300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Item#: N82E16820148348
the 128GB is on sale atm for $199.99
which is an excellent deal, and that drive has high ratings
a b 4 Gaming
a c 117 G Storage
April 25, 2011 1:10:38 PM

This quote will explain SSDs in more detail:

"Defragmenting solid-state drives isn't necessary. In fact, it's not a good idea at all.

SSDs are built around flash memory. That's the same technology used for thumb drives and memory cards. Most media players, tablets and smart phones use flash memory as well.

Flash memory is made up of cells. There are a few different kinds of these cells. But we don't need to worry about that for the moment.

The upside is that there are no moving parts, hence the "solid state" moniker. Everything is read and written electronically. That increases both reliability and speed.

It also makes fragmentation a moot point. It doesn't matter where files are located on the SSD. There are no moving parts to slow things down. Reading files from multiple locations takes no extra time.

In fact, defragmenting an SSD is actually not good for it. That's because flash memory has a major drawback: It wears out over time.

Flash memory is made up of billions of cells. Writing information changes the contents of the cell. Unfortunately, each cell can only be changed so many times. After that, it won't change anymore. Eventually, your SSD loses all its storage space.

Flash cell lifecycle is being steadily improved. A modern, SSD from a reputable manufacturer should last at least 5 years. Much of that is thanks to wear-leveling controllers.

These controllers monitor how often each cell is used. They make sure data is spread evenly throughout the drive. This keeps cells from being worn out too quickly."

This information will take some of the mystery about SSDs away. Read reviews and feedback on specific SSDs that you are considering. Wait until they are sale-priced, and buy one of the major brands (too many to list here).
!