Sign in with
Your question

CPU and Memory relation

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 15, 2010 4:06:57 PM

Hi there,

I am thinking about buying a new desktop in a couple of months, but I don't know very much about computer hardware (though I am trying to learn).

I was thinking about getting a I7 860 with 8 Gigs of Memory DDR3-1600 (I know the actual quantity is overkill, but since its a 64 bit computer I want more than 4 gigs).

Anyway, here is my question - Suppose I have a choice between a DDR3-1600 memory with CL7-7-7-24 and DDR3-1333 with CL7-7-7-21. The latency is smaller than the former, but then so is the clock speed.

But I have heard that there is absolutely no point in getting faster memory if its faster than the forward bus speed of the processor (or something like that). I have no idea what the forward bus speed of the I7 860 is or not. My understanding is that the only reason to get faster memory is so that you can overclock the processor. But I have no interest in overclocking the processor, so will the DDR3-1600 have any real benefit?

Any advice would be appreciated

Dan

More about : cpu memory relation

a c 128 } Memory
January 15, 2010 5:24:55 PM

Check the board specs; some can run faster ram but you have to adjust it manually. Most default at the slower speed.
a b } Memory
January 16, 2010 3:42:06 AM

I would get the 1600mhz as the timings listed are almost identical, also they will have a lower tighter setting running at 1333. At the least it's future proofing, only downside would be large price variation.
a b } Memory
January 16, 2010 3:38:56 PM

Yes, even though it technically won't make much difference, of the choice of these 2 memories, I would go ahead and get the 1600mhz memory. Leaves you some room for upgrades, maybe like a future processor upgrade, or you may want to tinker with overclocking someday.
!