Sign in with
Your question

Need a bit of a tie breaker here...

Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2010 5:02:54 PM

I'm looking into getting a new motherboard since my current one seems to be wanting to bite the dust soon, and i have a bit of a conflict of interests in choosing one. Maybe some insights can help me choose.
Currently i have these two as my main choices.

The GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The pros of this one:
I've heard leagues of good about Gigabyte, but never having owned one myself (have been a fan of abit up until made a switch to asus, and was not very impressed with their longevity.)
Has more USB slots than i can shake a stick at.
Has dual LAN ports, which is a nifty bonus.
Has a large range of supported memory speeds and a 16gb cap, which leaves me room for RAM upgrades.
Great slot layout.

The cons:
I've never had one, so i don't know first hand how good they are.
Has a p45 chipset compared to the DFI's x48, but i don't know if the differences are significant.
The board heatsinks look like they don't really do much of anything.
Color scheme looks like mouldy carrots.
Has built in audio (not a fan of integrated features.)

The DFI LANPARTY UT X48-T2R LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The pros:
Has no built in audio.
Also has dual LAN ports.
Has the x48 chipset.

The cons:
Never heard of DFI before.
The motherboard in general sounds a bit gimmicky to me.
Those heatsinks look beyond cheesy and dangerous.
Horrible slot layout.
No room for later RAM upgrades.
Color scheme looks like baby vomit.

Hopefully someone can help shed some light on this conflict for me, or even suggest a new board for me if they happen to feel like doing so (if so, keep it lga775).

More about : bit tie breaker

January 15, 2010 5:05:08 PM

Also forgot to mention if either of their BIOS's support Intel VT, since neither specify on the newegg page.
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 5:16:32 PM

I am a Gigabyte fan:
GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :( 
GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)
GA-G41m-ES2L| E5200, stock, on loan to sis-in-law

so I may be the last person to ask. :) 
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 5:20:44 PM

Only the cpu needs to support VT, and I've owned several boards with no mention of vt in the bios. For audio, the DFI comes with a separate audio card, which isn't shown in the accessories. Just be sure you get new and not open box. The DFI can run 2 video cards at 16x if you want to use sli; the third might run at 8x.
January 15, 2010 5:31:19 PM

Yeah, audio isn't a problem since i already have a seperate audio card that i would use instead, i just expressed my absolute loathing for any onboard audio/video modules.
And since jsc seems to be a gigabyte veteran, how well/long do they last in your experience?
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 5:59:26 PM

I'm a fan of both Gigabyte & Asus, the boards jsc posted are great gigabyte options, if you go ASUS, get the ASUS P5Q Pro P45 LGA 775
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 6:21:08 PM

somedood4 said:

And since jsc seems to be a gigabyte veteran, how well/long do they last in your experience?

I just retired my socket 754 Athlon 3200+ system that had a Gigabyte k8 Triton MB about a month ago (so that one lasted me 6 years of daily use and was still running strong - and my new system is a Phenom II X3 720 on a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H MOBO so I'd agree Gigabyte is the way to go !

Another feature I really like about the Gigabyte MOBOs is the Dual Bios so you don't have to worry as much when updating your bios if something goes wrong since it will recover itself from the secondary Bios
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 6:23:50 PM

I am using a very similar motherboard (check my sig). I've used all kinds of boards, from Gigabyte, Asus, Foxconn, MSI...etc. I've really been impressed with Gigabyte. They definitely live up to their reputation. I'd highly recommend the Gigabyte.
January 15, 2010 7:03:14 PM

Well it sounds like gigabyte is the way to go then. Feel kind of bad for DFI, but i guess no one likes a 129$ coaster. Thank you all for your help in this.
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 7:10:04 PM

DFI used to be a very high quality enthusiast MOBO maker and usually offered more high end offerings geared toward that market at a price to match the users they were designing for - but as of late Gigabyte and ASUS offer the same high end performance for much better pricing in most cases kind of leaving them out of the picture
January 15, 2010 7:23:19 PM

Ah, just another manufacturer who got lost with the times too. Thank you all for all your help, since now i know what board to get and what companies i can have some trust in anymore.
a c 78 V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 9:57:59 PM

I've been very satisfied with my DFI boards (see Configuration), but I'd suggest the DFI-UT-X48-T3RS (DDR3 RAM), and lots of stuff in the box (new - not open box).
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2010 10:36:27 PM

Gigabyte all the way.. If you can't spring for asus
January 16, 2010 2:12:38 AM

Well i've been doing some more reading around (again) and i've noticed on the DFI forums here some people mention DFI boards as "overclocking enthusiast boards", and something about gigabyte boards being excellent all-rounders. I don't do much overclocking (none really at all, might plan on tweaking memory timings and such later on), but i do do a lot of gaming and the such, so in terms of gaming performance, how would the DFI stack up against the Gigabyte, and both as opposed to my current heap (asus striker extreme)
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 2:44:10 AM

Like I said before DFI has alway focused on the OC community and builds a good product but is usually a bit more expensive since it's target consumer has always been willing to pay more for the right parts and since they had built a good reputation they used it to charge a premium - in the last few years Gigabyte has improved their products to the point that they are very comparable to the DFI products for a bit less $ so you really can not go wrong with either one.
January 16, 2010 2:53:57 AM

Alright, once again thank you for the info.
a c 78 V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 3:00:22 AM

Your gigabyte selection is an P-45 chip, the DFI is an X48 chip. If you're going to game with crossfire, you want the X48: two x16 lanes, vs. the P-45's one x16 lane and one x8 lane. If you're not doing crossfire, it won't matter.
January 16, 2010 3:09:47 AM

Well i really won't be doing crossfire anytime soon unless i happen upon an exorbitant amount of money and can afford 3 GPU's and like 6 monitors for my ****-pit style monitor layout of my most vast dreams, but that isn't happening anytime soon. Thank you too for your input as well, ill stick with my choice of the gigabyte board then.
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 12:21:15 PM

somedood4 said:

My P35 board is about three years old. It's had a Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz in it most of the time.
!