Sign in with
Your question

The Once Famous Q6600... Now Dead?

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2009 8:36:30 AM

For the past few days I've been looking to build 2 mid ranged gaming PC's, but the funny thing is the famous Q6600... Seems to be dead.

I checked on NewEgg, and TigerDirect. And nope. No where to be found. I did find it on other sites, but they where at rip off prices. It seems NewEgg will stock up on the lower Q8200 rather then the Q6600.

Why did the Q6600 slip out so quick? Everyone knows its a very good and may I add famous CPU. It's known for its gaming capabilites, and the fact is it was the most sold quad core ever.

Does anyone know if NewEgg will restock on 6600's again, or was that the last of the dying bread...

More about : famous q6600 dead

a c 159 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 21, 2009 10:13:55 AM

They have been out of production for awhile. If you want one, check ebay or one of the hardware forums for a used one. Intel wants you to buy a newer i5 or i7 which require ddr3 and a new motherboard.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 12:20:01 PM

They killed off the Q6600 long ago, in favor of the Q8xxx series. Intel wouldn't care that the Q6600 is a very good overclocker because the 8 and 9 Q series are widely available.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 2:11:45 PM

Ahh, such a Beautiful Processor.

Being slightly Partial to AMD back then I never thought Id invest in one of these, but I did. And I do not regret it. Its given me over 2 years of service, OC'd to 3ghz on Stock Cooling in a terrible case with one fan.

Im giving it an Antec 1200 and an Aftermarket cooler at christmas, so It can revel in its 3.6ghz glory, the way it was meant to be.

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 2:14:03 PM

As the owner of a Q6600 - If you have one, it's hardly "dead". But understand that the lifespan of a piece of silicon is 18 months, and the Q66's time has passed. <moment of respectful silence... At *Tom's*!?!?! Oh Nevermind...>

If you want to build a midrange computer, pick a price point and build around that. Intel... AMD... <shrug> At this level it's all just "Product" so buy whichever you can get the better deal on. If you're going to game, then weight your decision and dollars towards graphics.
a c 83 à CPUs
October 21, 2009 3:41:46 PM

Q6600 went EOL nearly a year ago unless I'm mistaken, it was one of the last things still produced on 65nm when Intel quit using 65nm in place of 45nm. It overclocks well, but there are better Q9XXX chips and even AMDs Phenom II line up will overclock better.
October 21, 2009 4:48:33 PM

3 months ago I took my dud pc to my local computer manufacturers. they told me the old motherboard was faulty and I would require all new parts. I reluctantly agreed, and they rebuilt my pc which included a q6600 processor for £100. I am currently in the process of overclocking the q6600 by up to 20%. I am currently up to 12% and the processor seems very fast and stable. I like to think it will last me 2-3 years.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 5:28:10 PM

Because lower end PII and Q9xxx kick it's a** at a similar price. They would have to bring it to sub $100 to be competitive.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 5:29:18 PM

Also, they are not producing parts for a dead platform any more as it is a waste of money and resources. There are much better chips out there so why are you whining?
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 5:31:53 PM

who remembers the retail price on a q6600 when introduced?
October 21, 2009 9:28:24 PM

obsidian86 said:

If I'm not mistaken it was past the £300 mark.
October 21, 2009 9:29:51 PM

Cryslayer80 said:
so why are you whining?

I'm not whining dumbass. They where just very good chips to get rid of out of stock so quik. I think NewEgg should restock on them.

All NewEgg has is a bunch of Q8200's. (which are better in some sense tbh.)
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2009 9:44:38 PM

----------PEACE-----------
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 10:21:18 AM

godbrother said:
I'm not whining dumbass. They where just very good chips to get rid of out of stock so quik. I think NewEgg should restock on them.

Probably because the market was getting clogged with so many iterations of Q's that intel wanted to clean it up and make the 6 & 7 series duals, 8 and 9 Quads.
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 10:26:38 AM

godbrother said:

Simple really.

65nm die.

Costs more to make.

Intel's no happy with that.
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 10:55:48 AM

45nm versions are better anyway from what I've seen. You can get the same clock speed out of the newer chips, and they make less heat.

I'd say the new Q6600 is the Core i7 920. An underrated quad to fill a price point.

I'm not sure about newegg, but most online retailers (here anyway) don't carry stock or carry very small amounts. So when their supplier says they're not offering the product, its instantly removed.

Q6600 is what's in my work PC (now a year old), it's had a good life :) 
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 11:04:51 AM

Well the Q9550 is really the Q6600 successor in the socket standpoint. Same price but more cache and faster clockspeed etc.
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 11:14:52 AM

Yes that's very true.

I was thinking more along the lines of the difference between stock and average top overclocks on air (that I see browsing the interwebs) with the i7 920 comparison. Although the 9550 is pretty close there anyway, so meh :) 
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2009 3:34:02 PM

;) 
a c 172 à CPUs
October 22, 2009 3:52:23 PM

You can have my Q6600 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. I'm 63, so you should have to wait too long.

OTOH, my mother is the Eveready bunny of great-grandmothers. She's 82. :) 
OT3H, about 15 years ago, she slipped on some ice and cracked a vertebrate in her back. That slowed her down some. Had to give up snowmobiling. :( 
October 22, 2009 6:24:53 PM

i'm in the final stages of overclocking my 3 month old q6600 to 2.9 ghz, it goes like *** off a shovel!
October 22, 2009 6:30:52 PM

jsc said:
You can have my Q6600 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. I'm 63, so you should have to wait too long.

OTOH, my mother is the Eveready bunny of great-grandmothers. She's 82. :) 
OT3H, about 15 years ago, she slipped on some ice and cracked a vertebrate in her back. That slowed her down some. Had to give up snowmobiling. :( 

my mother is still riding around on the back of horses well into her seventies. she even does some showjumping on it. not sure what is going to slow her down.
October 22, 2009 11:26:28 PM

Well I have been running my Q6600 GO @ 3.61 with 1.37v in bios for a LONG time, and last month was thinking of upgrading so decided to push the chip a little further. Now running 3.825 prime 95 stable with 1.425v in bios. Prolima Megahalems temps idle ~ 39-42 ( house temp is 25C). I won't get an I7 or I5 anytime soon really.
October 25, 2009 2:30:22 AM

^^ Wow. Hows it like in games?
October 25, 2009 10:24:13 AM

my q6600 is currently running at 2.91 which has just involved upping the fsb (and reducing the ram speed). Thinking of pushing the cpu to 3.0 by increasing fsb to 333mhz but am concerned about my cheapo motherboard (p5kpl-am) - I read that that board has overheating problems particularly around the northbridge and southbridge chips.
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 10:47:50 AM

I wouldn't worry about the southbridge. Overclocking shouldn't effect it at all, as it deals with things like SATA etc which have locked clocks. I always leave the ICH/SB voltages on Auto etc.

For northbridge you can get an aftermarket cooler. Although they're not much fun to install. The 'I fit anything' mounting method is fiddly, and requires 3 hands. I can think of better ways to do this, but apparently they can't. Mine was a Xigmatech Porter, but the others seem to be the same mech from what I saw.
October 25, 2009 11:27:33 AM

I have heard about adapted coolers for the northbridge on the p5kpl-am board, though not something I would attempt (I really hate even opening up the case). For overheating issues, would this only be a factor if voltages were increased? If just the fsb was increased, would this by itself put significant heat pressure on the northbridge? i.e. fsb increased but all voltages set to 'auto' or 'safe mode'
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 12:03:09 PM

Frequency and voltage both effect heat.
At 533Mhz @ 1.28V, my P45 factory heatsink was almost burning to the touch.
Xigmatech Porter doesn't get luke warm, but if you look at the size of the thing, you can see why. Its almost a CPU cooler.

If you don't like opening the case then don't buy one. You need to remove the motherboard to start with.

Edit: Oh and the normal people solution, is to buy a 40mm fan and use zipties or wood screws that'll bite in to the heatsink.
October 25, 2009 12:10:58 PM

SpidersWeb said:
At 533Mhz @ 1.28V, my P45 factory heatsink was almost burning to the touch.

1.28v, was that default voltage, or had you manually increased the voltage to that amount?
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 1:48:35 PM

Manual. Default on this board is 1.1V. On my Asrock it was something like 1.25V.
But running 1.28V and changing my FSB from 533 back to 333 has a noticeable decrease in temperature.

Actually have a better solution if you're worried about heat. Been recommended to me before as well. Antec Spotcool. Really simple to install, just aim it at the NB.
October 25, 2009 2:19:52 PM

the antec spotcool looks a good solution actually, just had a quick read of a review of it here (dated november 2006):

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/misc-coolers/antec-s...

I get the bit where it screws into the motherboard, not sure where the electrical bit plugs into though.
Also, I would need to identify exactly where the northbridge is physically located on the motherboard in order to direct the airflow to that location.

I noticed your overclock is something like 60% (from 333 to 533) whereas my overclock would be quite modest in comparison (25%, or 266 to 333).
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2009 10:58:01 PM

You should have a 3 pin connector spare on the motherboard somewhere for it to plug in. If you don't, it probably comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin molex (and if not, you can buy those). You can attach it anywhere that is convinient, any screw hole, pretty cool accessory.

I grabbed a picture of your board. I've labeled the northbridge for you, and in the pic if you look next to the bottom RAM slot, on the right hand side, you'll see a 3pin fan header :) 

(apologies to OP for off topic)
October 26, 2009 3:22:10 AM

q6600 got rebranded into a xeon. forgot the nomenclature though but its one and the same.
a c 99 à CPUs
October 26, 2009 2:17:47 PM

obsidian86 said:

If my notes are correct, it was a whopping $857. We were looking to put one in a numerical analysis machine right after they debuted and the price was just ridiculous. We ended up buying a dual-core unit instead since the C2Qs were ridiculous. It took them some time to get to a more reasonable price.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 26, 2009 3:19:22 PM

MU_Engineer said:
If my notes are correct, it was a whopping $857. We were looking to put one in a numerical analysis machine right after they debuted and the price was just ridiculous. We ended up buying a dual-core unit instead since the C2Qs were ridiculous. It took them some time to get to a more reasonable price.

Are you sure you are not confusing that with the QX6700?, here in the UK I paid £158 for the SLACR rev but that was quite a while after their debut of course.
October 26, 2009 5:43:32 PM

SpidersWeb said:
You should have a 3 pin connector spare on the motherboard somewhere for it to plug in. If you don't, it probably comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin molex (and if not, you can buy those). You can attach it anywhere that is convinient, any screw hole, pretty cool accessory.

I grabbed a picture of your board. I've labeled the northbridge for you, and in the pic if you look next to the bottom RAM slot, on the right hand side, you'll see a 3pin fan header :) 

Thanks for that, I'll take a copy of that picture. Some more mixed user comments of the antec spotcool (see link below), a few say that it is an effective cooling device but that because the mounting is metal it can short out the motherboard if the metal touches any part of the motherboard!

http://milo.com/antec-spot-cool-case-fan
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 7:30:28 PM

You don't have to mount it on on the motherboard mounting holes, there are tonnes of other drive bay holes that can be used. You could also use a plastic washer to prevent shorts if you did do a motherboard mounting.

Personally I wouldn't use a motherboard mount hole, easier to just use one of the many free ones or spare ones by the motherboard (e.g. I have about 5 holes for motherboard mounting, that aren't covered by the motherboard.)

Edit: want to add though, that motherboard mount holes use metal screws, which allow for the motherboard to ground through them, having a metal mount wont make a difference unless you make a right mess and have the mount way way over to one side. Common sense always applies.
October 26, 2009 8:08:47 PM

godbrother said:
^^ Wow. Hows it like in games?

I really rocks! ATM I play Aion which I can max out setting and average 80 FPS ( does drop tremendously in cities with 8x AA on ( 3800 series cards have a HORRIBLE time with AA ) I love benchmarks, gettin the system as fast as it can be ( with the hardware I have ), so I can play games to their fullest extent. I overclock everything I can. I have two 3870's in Crossfire default clocks are 775 GPU I think, I have an OC edition @ 800 GPU 1126 Memory, which I clock @ 865 GPU and 1336 Memory ( I use a Zalman VF1000 and sock ram sinks ( which I filed off the "raisers" and used OCZ thermal paste ) I really wish I could afford SSD's but I run two HDD's in Raid atm. 8 Gigs DDR21066 running at 1066 5-5-4-12.

I do get high 18,000's in 3Dmark06 which I see alot of newer cards ( ATI's 4000 series cards ) get 15-17 in 3Dmark06, so I feel I'm gettin the most out of the system.

Anywho I really want to upgrade, but I cannot afford to. So pushing this Q6600 as far as I can ( I have hit 4.0 GHZ, stable in window's/games but 2 cores fail Prime95 ). For those of you in the same boat as me, just push this puppy as far as you can I guess. I think I am going to wait until late in 2010 or even begining of 2011 really. Anywho, g'luck with yer overclocks!
a c 99 à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:27:47 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Are you sure you are not confusing that with the QX6700?, here in the UK I paid £158 for the SLACR rev but that was quite a while after their debut of course.

Nope, Intel Extreme Editions always start at $999 or more. Wikipedia confirms an $851 launch price for the Q6600.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 26, 2009 10:38:13 PM

MU_Engineer said:
Nope, Intel Extreme Editions always start at $999 or more. Wikipedia confirms an $851 launch price for the Q6600.

Yep, that's confirmed here:- http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/21/intel_quad-core_price_cut/ I'm still sure it first appeared in the UK at around the £240 - £260 mark but so much beer has been consumed in the intervening months and years I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details. [:mousemonkey]
a c 203 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 26, 2009 11:01:13 PM

Just like the Pentium D 805 and Athlon 64 3400+ Clawhammer.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 11:30:02 PM

Clawhammer is such an awesome name compared to D.
I want one just for the name now.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2009 2:21:30 AM

godbrother said:
For the past few days I've been looking to build 2 mid ranged gaming PC's, but the funny thing is the famous Q6600... Seems to be dead.

I checked on NewEgg, and TigerDirect. And nope. No where to be found. I did find it on other sites, but they where at rip off prices. It seems NewEgg will stock up on the lower Q8200 rather then the Q6600.

Why did the Q6600 slip out so quick? Everyone knows its a very good and may I add famous CPU. It's known for its gaming capabilites, and the fact is it was the most sold quad core ever.

Does anyone know if NewEgg will restock on 6600's again, or was that the last of the dying bread...

Well as time goes on and intel releases newer CPUs, their older ones dissapear. You would be hard pressed to find even a E6600. Intel doesn't make them anymore as all their FABs were converted to 45nm.

It is a great quad. I have one and love it.

If you REALLY want them you might want to order them now from here as they only have 4 in stock:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/573636/intel-bx80562q6600-co...

A little more but still the one you want. If not, get a Q8200 or better. Still great CPUs and OC just as well in most cases.
!