Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Myth or Truth?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 11:18:53 AM

Is it true that BIOS temp readings are relatively higher than Windows 7 startup? If so, can anyone please recommend a GOOD temp monitor app so i can see what my pc is doing while running? BIOS temps on a PHII 555 BE are running appr. 40c at a multiplier of 18, FSB 216, and 1.48v. I have a Zalman CNSP9900A HSF on a 990FX Sabertooth MoBo.

More about : myth truth

a c 100 à CPUs
a c 235 K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 12:19:59 PM

BIOS temps are generally about 10c lower than the operating system idle temperature.

The CPUs temperature increases running all the process and background resources in the operating system.

Core Temp
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 12:55:41 PM

So, my frustration now increases. I bought a relatively expensive air HSF with professional specs, and i am running at 41c in BIOS. This was with an 18.5 multiplier, 216 FSB, and 1.48v for the cpu (4.045GHz). Prime95 ran for 2.5 hours, and i have had multiple tales of truth about how it's perfectly stable, or unstable from opposites ends of this spectrum. I feel my temps are high for the equipment i have installed, but would like a trusted tech with some sort of viable proof that i am ok at those settings.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 2:27:56 PM

4Ryan6 said:
BIOS temps are generally about 10c lower than the operating system idle temperature.

The CPUs temperature increases running all the process and background resources in the operating system.

Core Temp

Ummm....WRONG.

Bios temps are ALWAYS higher in bios than in Windows desktop. You ask why? Because the cpu does not throttle down (Intel Speedstep/AMD Cool n Quiet) in bios like it does in windows. That's why in bios your cpu always shows it's full speed and it Windows it doesn't.
Regardless of Windows background tasks, the cpu still throttles down to a lower power state.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 2:57:24 PM

ok, so a 41c temp in bios is actually closer to a 32c-36c temp in windows? depending on hardware? and since i am OC'd at about 28%, would you consider this stable or a little hot?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 3:15:11 PM

32-36c idle in Windows and overclocked is pretty good for summer. What's more important is your load temps. Intel burn test will put a hurtin on your cpu and give you temps you likely won't even see in a real life scenario.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 3:16:57 PM

ok. any recommendations then for a little extra? I ran Prime95 for 2.5hrs appr. with those settings. anything i could do for stability, cuz 4Ghz was my goal, and i hit it at those temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 4:12:58 PM

What temps? You haven't even told us what your load temps are......lol
m
l
August 23, 2011 4:15:44 PM

Just keep your temps under 60C with an AMD Proc and you're fine. If you are regretting paying for the HSF with those temps, imagine the temps you'd hit with the stock cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 4:18:47 PM

Yeah, My Phenom II 555 does 4Ghz fine at 1.4V and I max out at around 50c after a 2.5Hour TT.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 4:19:26 PM

ok, so i just realized my Cool n' Quiet was running. after turning it off, my temps dropped down to 22c on Windows 7 boot. not too bad. I am now puching my cpu even further as i know it can handle it. Anyone recommend a good temp monitor that can control my fans for AMD builds?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 4:51:00 PM

Another question someone might be able to guide me in is Prime95. What is the standard for stability. ive gotten everything from 2 hours (even in the overclocking groups they agree with this), up to 24 hours (i find that to be a little extreme and inhibits true OC potential). Can someone give me a base to go off of with a ridiculously cool temp case?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 5:10:47 PM

If you use your PC for gaming, i.e. nothing important and you can deal with BSOD and lost data, then 2 hours of Prime 95 is probably OK. For those who want a truely reliable PC it must be able to run Prime 95 for 24 hours without a hiccup or it's not really stable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 5:42:31 PM

so for gaming, a shorter Prime95 time is not going to affect things so much as it would for a work or information storing computer. I am running a 560 (fermi) gpu, will this help with stability for gaming? Currently, i am at 2hours and negligable change for Prime95 with my PhII 555BE clocked to 4.33GHz, 1.428v, and an idle cpu temp of 26c.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 6:02:17 PM

With a midrange GTX560, I seen no point in overclocking at all, not to mention your shortening the cpu's life, creating extra heat, and running up your electric bill by turning off cool n quiet. I mean why would you want your cpu running at 4.33ghz while your checking your email??

Makes no sense to me what your doing.

I fail to see how your temps could be 26c. Unless your house is colder than 70f, that's physically impossible. What are you using to check your idle and load temps??
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 7:02:50 PM

SpeedFan app. and as of now, my cpu is at 4.33GHz (1.428v) at an idle temp of 23c. My GPU is at 29c. Is this not an accurate app to check temps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 7:05:08 PM

My idle temp is 27c....

I have my Processor at 4.2Ghz at 1.2V, It helps quite a lot for games.
Here's a screenie, processor isn't fully cooled down after I was using using Toms while the Steam in F:NV.

http://www.truploader.com/view/438202
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 7:09:59 PM

ok yummerzzz, im a bit jealous. could you send me an email on the utilities you use to monitor everything, and i would be willing to OC my GPU if i new how. a little extra never hurt. I have my BIOS auto calibrating the voltage for my cpu, as 1.428 is not high in the least bit.
m
l
August 23, 2011 7:20:56 PM

casualbuilder said:
ok yummerzzz, im a bit jealous. could you send me an email on the utilities you use to monitor everything, and i would be willing to OC my GPU if i new how. a little extra never hurt. I have my BIOS auto calibrating the voltage for my cpu, as 1.428 is not high in the least bit.

You can see what they're called from his screenie, just google "core temp" and "CPU-Z". The CPUID window is part of the CPU-Z application (at least made by same devs). Not sure if you can get MSI Afterburner unless you have an MSI GPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 7:30:08 PM

Yeah, In that Screenie i have CoreTemp, HWMonitor,CPU-Z and MSI Afterburner.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 7:39:45 PM

Like I said if your cpu is idling at 26c, then your computer room must be 70-72F otherwise it's physically impossible and your readings are wrong.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 7:46:28 PM

Might be worth it to mention I have a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3.

Also, I'm Scottish, so my climate will be colder than yours, also, room temperature is around 22C (72F).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:02:14 PM

casualbuilder said:
so for gaming, a shorter Prime95 time is not going to affect things so much as it would for a work or information storing computer. I am running a 560 (fermi) gpu, will this help with stability for gaming? Currently, i am at 2hours and negligable change for Prime95 with my PhII 555BE clocked to 4.33GHz, 1.428v, and an idle cpu temp of 26c.

With gaming as long as you don't care if your PC freezes or has BSODs, etc. then passing Prime 95 for 2 hours may be enough. A stable PC will essentially Prime for 24 hours or forever without an issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:16:48 PM

ok...my apartment is on the 3rd floor, and its at anywhere from 70F-76F. my idle temps ARE always at 23c-24c. This is from SpeedFan app and Core.Temp 1.0.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:18:17 PM

Idle temps really don't mean anything, except in the case of them being really high and that means your cpu cooler isn't installed properly. The proof is in the temps under full load. Also there is some basis for saying that the temp reporting by the cpu isn't very accurate for low temps. Mine never read below 40 at idle, but don't go up much under full load either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:52:37 PM

yummerzzz said:
Might be worth it to mention I have a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3.

Also, I'm Scottish, so my climate will be colder than yours, also, room temperature is around 22C (72F).

No need to mention your cooler or where you live or how cold your climate is, we have this thing called air conditioning. Just say, your right, my room temp is 72F. :whistle: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:55:01 PM

cadder said:
Idle temps really don't mean anything, except in the case of them being really high and that means your cpu cooler isn't installed properly. The proof is in the temps under full load. Also there is some basis for saying that the temp reporting by the cpu isn't very accurate for low temps. Mine never read below 40 at idle, but don't go up much under full load either.

Even after this stupidly long thread, he still has not even told us what his load temps are. So the entire conversation is completely pointless.

I already lost my patience, maybe you guys can beat it out of him or something. I'm gone.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:55:49 PM

so i think my psu just kicked the bucket...breaker popped, and nothing, not even a green light on the mobo or led's in my case. not a happy camper. any helpful insight as i change thread topics?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2011 9:15:21 PM

geekapproved said:
No need to mention your cooler or where you live or how cold your climate is, we have this thing called air conditioning. Just say, your right, my room temp is 72F. :whistle: 

Well we don't we have the opposite, radiators.

What do you mean "Just say, your right"?

Do you mean I'm right, or your right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 9:35:08 PM

casualbuilder said:
so i think my psu just kicked the bucket...breaker popped, and nothing, not even a green light on the mobo or led's in my case. not a happy camper. any helpful insight as i change thread topics?

Your PSU is probably dead from the surge, still, test it anyway. Grab a paper clip, and open it up into a u-shape. Stick on end on the green wire (where the wire goes into the connector, not from the part that connects to the mobo) and put the other end of the paperclip on any of the neighboring black wires, just as you did with the green wire.

If the PSU turns on, then it isn't dead, but it still may not be sending voltage correctly to the mobo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 11:02:47 AM

Best answer selected by casualbuilder.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2011 10:13:13 AM

geekapproved said:
What temps? You haven't even told us what your load temps are......lol

Load temps hit 48*c max at 18x216 (3.9GHz).
m
l
!