PLEASE HELP! Cannot Logon, need to return to Restore Point

July 16, 2004 5:12:11 AM

I somehow changed the logon information so that I cannot log on. (I was
trying to set an office laptop to be able to log into my home workgroup, and
now neither the work nor the home login info will work.)

I first created a System Restore Point, thinking that if I messed things up
(which I did!), I'd be able to get back to where things were. The machine
has WinXP Pro, and was originally set up at my wife's office (by a guy who
won't be available for days).

What I failed to consider is that, having unsuccessfully tried to make
changes to the username, and from Domain to Workgroup logon, etc, I now
cannot get past "Ctrl Alt Del to Logon" -- so, I am unable even to get to
the Win XP System Restore program!!

I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created before I
began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during startup?

Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 5:12:12 AM

Ted Kerin wrote:
> I somehow changed the logon information so that I cannot log on. (I
> was trying to set an office laptop to be able to log into my home
> workgroup, and now neither the work nor the home login info will
> work.)
>
> I first created a System Restore Point, thinking that if I messed
> things up (which I did!), I'd be able to get back to where things
> were. The machine has WinXP Pro, and was originally set up at my
> wife's office (by a guy who won't be available for days).
>
> What I failed to consider is that, having unsuccessfully tried to make
> changes to the username, and from Domain to Workgroup logon, etc, I
> now cannot get past "Ctrl Alt Del to Logon" -- so, I am unable even
> to get to the Win XP System Restore program!!
>
> I'd be thrilled just to get back to the Restore Point I created
> before I began messing with the logon. Can I somehow get to it during
> startup?
>
> Please, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

First - understand that a System Restore will not help you with YOUR
settings or YOUR files. It is to restore system files only.

Also, you shouldn't need to change anything to use the DOMAIN laptop in your
home WORKGROUP.. You should just have to know your normal logon for the
domain (unless they turned off caching) and then your usename/password for
file sharing on ytour home network. You MAY have to know the IPs of the
machines in your home network as well.

You may be able to hack the password to the administrators account.. Change
it to somehting you know - but being a work computer - I hesitate to
assist - as it shouldn't have gotten this far in the first place. heh

--
<- Shenan ->
July 16, 2004 3:21:46 PM

Thanks, Shenan. At this point it seems I'm locked-out, apart from other
reasons, from too many unsuccessful attempts. I'll wait for the admin to get
back from vacation.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 6:59:39 PM

Try booting to Safe Mode, if you can access Safe Mode, you should be able to
get to System Restore. Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu
appears, select Safe Mode and Press Enter.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

!