Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GPU software undervolting - new idea

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2009 7:47:49 PM

Hello, I want to decrease my GPU (geforce 9500M GS) temperature through GPU undervolting. There is only one way to do that (GPU bios modification) but that voids warranty, so nothing for me.

But I have one idea about GPU undervolting through software, which doesnt void warranty.
My geforce 9500M gs has three frequency/performance modes : 2D (on 1,15V) , Throttle (on 1,15V too) and 3D (on 1,2V), default (according to NiBitor).

IDEA: I want to disable 3D mode (1,2V), and then I want to overclock (through windows, no GPU bios modification) Throttle mode to default 3D mode frequencies, so it would force GPU to play games in Throttle mode and with 3D mode frequencies (but with lower 1,15V voltage), so my GPU would run at the same performance but a bit (0,05V) undervolted. I think that would decrease temperature at about 5°C (5°C - it is like cheap cooling pad).

Now I want to know how to disable 3D mode, does any program know that?
please help
August 13, 2009 2:06:40 PM

Im thinking it would be safer and cheaper in the long run to put one of these under the card for some additional cooling.
A large amount of the posts here that deal with bad video is due to voltage problems.
So I would be unsure if what you want to do is a great idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
August 13, 2009 4:09:41 PM

pat mcgroin said:
Im thinking it would be safer and cheaper in the long run to put one of these under the card for some additional cooling.
A large amount of the posts here that deal with bad video is due to voltage problems.
So I would be unsure if what you want to do is a great idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Putting one of them under the card is sometimes counter-productive. They are exhaust fans, not intake. They do not blow fresh air onto the card, but rather pull air around the card away from it. Sometimes the air they pull out is already cool air, supplied either from a vent or intake fan. It's that situation wherein these coolers are counter-productive.

To the OP. Best to stay away from messing with that sort of thing unless you can afford to brick the card.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

August 13, 2009 7:24:49 PM

Yeah I realize that. But on a card with no exhaust port it can make a huge difference as heat can be trapped under the card.

Actually in my case with a 8800gtx which does have an exhaust port, putting one of those 2 slots below the vid. card brought my temps down 15c and I have 4 other fans installed. Its just that with my case the vid card is near the bottom and the heat gets trapped.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
February 24, 2012 10:27:00 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
February 24, 2012 10:27:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!