Sign in with
Your question

Zalman cnps 9900 temps on i7 920 stock speed

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2009 11:14:42 AM

Hi,

Ive been watching my temps for a while, and really wondering if 39-40c is a good idle speed for a stock i7 with the zalman 9900

I have a thermaltake element T with 1 200mm fan on top and 1 140mm in the back, and to be honest room temp is kind of high ~29c and not much space around the case.

also what is a good way to load out the i7? to see temps at full load.

considering I haven't overclocked yet, im a little worried...
October 21, 2009 8:32:56 PM

run a few instances of Prime 95 to load it out.
October 21, 2009 8:54:10 PM

Not sure what a few instances mean, but in the tests I run, it doesnt cross 65c. when over clocked it will be 75? thats not what I expected from the expensive fan I bought!!!
Related resources
October 21, 2009 9:18:27 PM

hatemf90 said:
Not sure what a few instances mean, but in the tests I run, it doesnt cross 65c. when over clocked it will be 75? thats not what I expected from the expensive fan I bought!!!

A few instances means you are running it twice, three times etc. Each one pegs one of your cores. One of the uber techies can help you with that. As for your temps they do seem a big high for that cooler. I would check that its installed correctly and that you didn't use too much thermal paste. I drop a match head sized drop in the middle and then use a my finger covered by a plastic sandwich bag to spread it over the CPU.
October 21, 2009 9:28:37 PM

Actually just finding out temps is confusing, Core Temp shows 39-41c idle for the 4 cores, SpeedFan shows 24-25c for the 4 cores
October 22, 2009 2:05:51 PM

yeah it can be a pain in the butt. I just use Speed Fan and gave up looking at anything else.

Idle 24-25c for a quad core is pretty good.
October 22, 2009 4:17:34 PM

the temp diodes were never meant to measure idle they are for overtemp protection.

just put a 100% load on all 4 cores with prime95 small fft torture test.

wait about 15min and check the temps.

this is really the only number you are interested in

idle temps are worthless unless its E-Peen bragging time.
October 22, 2009 6:20:51 PM

here it is after 15 mins small FFTs test:

Obviously a big difference between the 2, dont know which one is reading cpu case temp or core temps

I found this that may explain it but dotn have the patience to read it all...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254780-29-large-tcase...

My goal with this is I wanna OC with good temps, and not fry the cpu for hours and hours...
October 22, 2009 6:23:35 PM

also forgot to say that these were taken at night its pretty cool now, last time I took it the case was almost under the sun, lol
October 24, 2009 12:18:02 AM

so is this silence a sign that its ok to go ahead to oc?
October 27, 2009 10:24:24 AM

Cmon guys I need your help here
October 27, 2009 12:48:53 PM

If you did a google search for Zalman 9900 review you could read some reviews and compare your temps to theirs. Forums usually don't respond well to begging for help unless you have shown you put some effort into it. That being said watch this video review of the 9900. At the end there are some temp results. If you numbers are similar then you are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIN_p7W2I0&feature=rela...
October 27, 2009 6:32:43 PM

Trust me I spent hours looking for reviews and youtube reviews I even read all the newegg.com reviews for the product, but I didnt really find temps for the CPU i mentioned

So id hardly call this begging without an effort.

as for the vid u posted, if its according to speedfan thats great if its according to core temp and bios temps thats bad, I dont know what else to say or do...
October 27, 2009 7:15:23 PM

hatemf90 said:
Trust me I spent hours looking for reviews and youtube reviews I even read all the newegg.com reviews for the product, but I didnt really find temps for the CPU i mentioned

So id hardly call this begging without an effort.

as for the vid u posted, if its according to speedfan thats great if its according to core temp and bios temps thats bad, I dont know what else to say or do...

Just go by speed fan. Don't worry about the cooler, it is fine and more then capable to handle your OC. Use setting for other people who OC'd the same processor and you'll be fine. If you go to far your PC will become unstable but you wont kill it.
!