1st Boot and No Power... Help

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Specifications:
Motheroard - ASROCK P45XE
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / 3.0 GHz / 1333 Mhz / 6 MB Cache
Memory - 4 GB G. Skill (2 x 2 GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Graphics - Nvidia GTX 260 / 896 MB
OS - No OS installed yet
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB / 7200 RPM
Power Supply - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600 W
Case - NZXT Alpha

So I'm building a new system using the core components mentioned above. The problem is, when I turn on the power, it's seems like it's not booting up correctly and has no power. The fans (CPU, Power Supply, Case fans) would just run for a second and dies. No signs of power going through the entire system. I have pretty much plugged in everything and verified all connections. I even cleared the CMOS jumper just in case that was the problem. I jump started the power supply already and it's working by itself. I'm out of options already and I'm really getting frustrated with this.

PLEASE HELP ME...

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Number 2 is good. I have it connected fine. I think number 3 is the problem. I didn't put the standoffs because I didn't know about them.

First of all, the motherboard packaging didnt come with any mounting screws so I checked the bag of screws that came with the case. I only used the screw that fitted on the board. I didnt use the rest including the standoffs coz like I said, I didn't know about them for it wasn't specified in any of the manuals I have.

I hope that's the issue and I can get it to work... *cross fingers.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
You got a point there dood, I actually had a problem putting them in considering the fact that I'm putting a gigantic GTX 260. I asked help from someone to screw the card in place on the pci slot while I was holding the card so that it will be aligned.

chrysler_12

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
finally has power now... damn standoffs. my manual for the mobo didnt tell me about them... now, i have to install the OS. hopefully it runs smoothly from now on... thanks guys

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Just to piggyback... I've built a half-dozen systems in my life, and I'm having the same sort of boot trouble this time around. The fans come on for a second and then everthing dies - the motherboard "power" and "reset" LEDs remain lit.

I'm guessing it's a short, but I definitely have my standoffs in place. Does anyone have any suggestions? I spent hours building this thing last night, and I REALLY don't want to have to breadboard it. :(

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Sorry, I should have mentioned: I read through all the stickies and a myriad other links.

Turns out that one of the cables running under the mobo had been "pierced" by the motherboard, and the bare wire was causing the short. I'll have to petition that be added to his FAQ!