Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 280 sli vs tri sli

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2009 9:27:35 PM

Hi

Just wondering what kind of performance increase I can see in a game at crysis going from sli to tri with gtx 280's? My resolution is only 1620 by 1050

thanks

More about : gtx 280 sli tri sli

August 12, 2009 9:29:15 PM

overkill IMO @ that resolution....ur paying all that money PURELY for Crysis?!?? ur fk'd up!
August 12, 2009 9:34:43 PM

smoggy12345 said:
overkill IMO @ that resolution....ur paying all that money PURELY for Crysis?!?? ur fk'd up!

Not only for crysis, but that is the most demanding game to date, so it would be a good comparison.

Related resources
August 12, 2009 10:31:19 PM

Two GTX 280 is able to max Crysis therefore it is not the most demanding but it's the processor you're needing to upgrade. I play games that get lower FPS than Crysis maxed and I'm pretty sure it's not because it's just poorly coded.
August 12, 2009 10:42:32 PM

bpogdowz said:
Two GTX 280 is able to max Crysis therefore it is not the most demanding but it's the processor you're needing to upgrade. I play games that get lower FPS than Crysis maxed and I'm pretty sure it's not because it's just poorly coded.

What do you mean by maxed? Obviously very high, but any aa....what res....and what fps?

thanks a lot!
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2009 10:50:49 PM

yeah your not getting any aa unless your at a much lower res. around the 1200 range. quad SLI can't do it smoothly once you get into 24"and higher.

Anyways I don't think at 1620x1050 you really need to go tri you will get some AA but the set up is already great and can run nearly any game maxed, even Crysis discounting the AA. I am not saying your wasting money but I don't see a huge advantage to it.
August 12, 2009 11:24:21 PM

darkvine said:
yeah your not getting any aa unless your at a much lower res. around the 1200 range. quad SLI can't do it smoothly once you get into 24"and higher.

Anyways I don't think at 1620x1050 you really need to go tri you will get some AA but the set up is already great and can run nearly any game maxed, even Crysis discounting the AA. I am not saying your wasting money but I don't see a huge advantage to it.

alright thanks! Im using a 22in fyi....well i guess ill just get a 2nd card then and save a bit not getting the 3rd then?

a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2009 11:36:59 PM

yeah save yourself the money. You can spend that money on faster ram or just have some money in your pocket.

Also remember that as far as Crysis being demanding it is largely do to the fact it was coded so badly it's amazing it runs sometimes. They fixed that in Crysis Warhead and it runs much much smoother.
August 13, 2009 1:23:24 AM

smoggy12345 said:

The last comment is really not needed. This is a family site so please try to conduct yourself in a better manner.
August 13, 2009 1:35:35 AM

chef7734 said:
The last comment is really not needed. This is a family site so please try to conduct yourself in a better manner.

Taken onboard ;) 
August 13, 2009 1:36:11 AM

darkvine said:
yeah save yourself the money. You can spend that money on faster ram or just have some money in your pocket.

Also remember that as far as Crysis being demanding it is largely do to the fact it was coded so badly it's amazing it runs sometimes. They fixed that in Crysis Warhead and it runs much much smoother.

Yea thats deff true......well I just cant wait for crysis 2 :) 
August 13, 2009 1:38:05 AM

smoggy12345 said:
Taken onboard ;) 

Yea go play WOW now....lolz.....they call themselves gamers....crysis is sick you dont no what ur missin
August 13, 2009 1:40:25 AM

mespo365 said:
Yea go play WOW now....lolz.....they call themselves gamers....crysis is sick you dont no what ur missin

Never play WoW and have got crysis and warhead...??? what planet u on?
August 13, 2009 4:22:32 AM

Since I don't see any listing of your CPU and I have a single 8800GTX and an i7 965 and I play Crysis at 1600x1200
at about 65-75% setting and it runs smooth. The problem is the CPU causes frame drop more that video card.

No CPU could push 2 280's so 3 is a waste.
August 13, 2009 12:12:32 PM

mespo365 said:
What do you mean by maxed? Obviously very high, but any aa....what res....and what fps?

thanks a lot!

Blu-ray and MAXED
August 13, 2009 12:37:27 PM

halo549 said:
Since I don't see any listing of your CPU and I have a single 8800GTX and an i7 965 and I play Crysis at 1600x1200
at about 65-75% setting and it runs smooth. The problem is the CPU causes frame drop more that video card.

This is not true. Videocards have the most impact on games.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2009 1:59:08 PM

BruceOTB said:
This is not true. Videocards have the most impact on games.

Not true. Depends on the game as most RTS and turn based games are CPU limited by a huge amount. No matter what card you have you won't see good frames without a very solid CPU.
August 13, 2009 2:09:26 PM

What is AA?

I use FRAPS to monitor my fps.... How do I use this tool?
When I try to run it, it says that I am geeting 90 fps (22" screen, GTX 280)

What do you use for monitoring fps?

I run my monitor at fulll res (1680X1050).
What dictates the masx res a screen can pull? vidso card or the monitor?
August 13, 2009 3:10:14 PM

mark_k said:
What is AA?

I use FRAPS to monitor my fps.... How do I use this tool?
When I try to run it, it says that I am geeting 90 fps (22" screen, GTX 280)

What do you use for monitoring fps?

I run my monitor at fulll res (1680X1050).
What dictates the masx res a screen can pull? vidso card or the monitor?

The monitor dictates what the max res is.
August 13, 2009 3:16:17 PM

Thanks chef7734 ,

Now what are they talking about when they mention AA?
August 13, 2009 5:10:30 PM

mark_k said:
Thanks chef7734 ,

Now what are they talking about when they mention AA?

There is a thing called google...but here u go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing.

Its basically "eye candy" fixes fuzzy edges and such. You might see some grass moving in the wind and normally the edge will be kinda jagged. But with aa it fixes that i.e makes it smooth. It requires a lot of graphics card power, especially in very demanding games like crysis.
August 13, 2009 5:13:47 PM

smoggy12345 said:
Never play WoW and have got crysis and warhead...??? what planet u on?

Well you are obviously a child, no older than 14 I would guess. There really was no need at all for that comment at the top on the thread. It is very immature and does nothing for the discussion. So if you want to contribute you are more than welcome, otherwise you can go play with your lil toy trucks somewhere else.
August 13, 2009 5:41:48 PM

mespo365 said:
There is a thing called google...but here u go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing.

Its basically "eye candy" fixes fuzzy edges and such. You might see some grass moving in the wind and normally the edge will be kinda jagged. But with aa it fixes that i.e makes it smooth. It requires a lot of graphics card power, especially in very demanding games like crysis.

lol....thanks

I did google on AA but got a lot of crap........

Now I can google on Anti Aliasing.... Thats what I needed to know to do my research

Thanks
August 14, 2009 5:31:31 AM

mespo365 said:

It's called AA transparncy for grassy textures. You can't rely on simply AA and expect for everything to be silky smooth when there's more than one aspect to the graphics system on the Nvidia side. ATI has it's own way, and it fails. They couldn't patent the technology in time.
August 14, 2009 8:34:46 PM

fyi the gtx 280's I heard scale very well. just sayin. So at what resolutions do you start to see tri sli worth it?
August 14, 2009 9:17:12 PM

I recently tried SLI in COD4 and found it made no difference to the playability of the game. I did get double the framerate in some areas but the minimum framerate never went up. To be honest SLI or Crossfire is just a waste of money and only looks good in benchmarks.
August 14, 2009 10:24:39 PM

Malcolmk said:
I recently tried SLI in COD4 and found it made no difference to the playability of the game. I did get double the framerate in some areas but the minimum framerate never went up. To be honest SLI or Crossfire is just a waste of money and only looks good in benchmarks.

Well even my 9600 runs cod4 completely maxed, full aa, etc. so thats not really a fair comparison. Someone correct me if im wrong, but only certain games are optimized with sli. So if the game doesnt support sli or is only capable of displaying a certain amount of fps than you cant hold that against sli. Sli/crossfire does make a significant difference, if it diddnt work than so many people wouldnt spend so much on it. A game like fary cry 2, half life ep 2 or crysis are much more demanding than cod4 and definitely support sli fully.
August 15, 2009 1:21:52 AM

mespo365 said:
fyi the gtx 280's I heard scale very well. just sayin. So at what resolutions do you start to see tri sli worth it?

1920x1200 for crysis and 2560x1600 for most other games. One benefit of having tri sli is you can play everything at max with all extra features at max and not have any slow downs.
August 15, 2009 1:24:12 AM

Malcolmk said:

Something is wrong if you min frame rates never went up. Cod 4 is optimized for sli but you have to select multiple graphics in the menu.
August 15, 2009 1:51:27 AM

chef7734 said:
1920x1200 for crysis and 2560x1600 for most other games. One benefit of having tri sli is you can play everything at max with all extra features at max and not have any slow downs.

If money wasnt a factor would it be woth going try with my res?.....specifically in games like crysis
August 15, 2009 2:03:19 AM

mespo365 said:
If money wasnt a factor would it be woth going try with my res?.....specifically in games like crysis

with crysis you are looking at around 50 fps for that res with everythign at max. So you are probably looking at a 20fps increas. I think with my 285's at 1920x1200 I get around 70 fps so you might get more. As soon as I get my motherboard back I will run some benchmarks again. I have tri sli because I like to play things maxed without worrying about anything. Would I do it again. yes I probably will once the new cards come out. Is it worth it to many no. I dont base what I do on what others think. I wanted the fastest gfx combo I could get and thats what I did. It has nothign to do with epen or anything like that because I dont boast or could care less what others think. If you have the money and want to try it I say do it. you can always sell your card and you will know.. Problem with me is I always wonder untill I eventually do it. In the long run I spent more money not going tri sli with the 285's than if I would have just purchased them right out. Went through 3 gtx 260's and 2 4870's till I bought the gtx 285's.
August 15, 2009 2:25:01 AM

Alright thanks a lot. Yea my goal is basically to max out or near as much as possible. Esp in crysis!! I just bought a single gtx 280 , but i think ill deff go 3 way then. Do you get any AA when playing crysis.....what fps? thnx again
August 15, 2009 2:39:08 AM

mespo365 said:
Alright thanks a lot. Yea my goal is basically to max out or near as much as possible. Esp in crysis!! I just bought a single gtx 280 , but i think ill deff go 3 way then. Do you get any AA when playing crysis.....what fps? thnx again

I max out the aa and af and play at the max setting cant remember what it is in crysis. I get between 50 and 75 fps during the whole game at 1920x1200. I do get a little slow down when the game autosaves but otherwise it is smooth as silk. Most people here think we are stupd for doing this but hey people spend thier money on other things like clothes or cars and I spend mine on computers. What you can do is try sli first and if that is not enough then go tri unless you are like me and just do it anyways.I dont think you need tri sli and I dont think I need tri sli but I am glad I have it and do not regret it.
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2009 11:48:52 PM

Malcolmk said:

You won't really see an improvement with CoD4, it is a very simple game graphical (though it does look good). I have ran it fully maxed out on a EVGA 8400 GS at just barely over stock settings and gotten well over playable frames (high of around 65 low around 39) Play something like Far Cray 2, Crysis Warhead or H.A.W.K.S and you will see a noticeable difference.

Edit: oh also if your not at higher res your not really getting much out of sli/CF.
August 20, 2009 9:32:53 AM

halo549 said:

It appears an i7 965 can push SLI GTX 280s better than anything else. You have one so I would assume you would know for a fact. Have a nice read. Also, later in the article is shows a Q9770 vs i7 965, because they run at the same frequencies. i7 handles dual GPUs just fine, it's when it gets to 3 GPUs, a CPU limitation becomes more evident. i7 performs much better than last generation CPUs with multiple GPU setups. Also, Crysis scales up to 3 threads and not much, if anything beyond that. Especially with a CPU which has 8 threads. Crysis chooses a thread to run on, not necessarily a given CPU core.

With a GPU core increase from 576MHz -> 626MHz, I see about a ~2k point increase on 3DMARK06. such a large jump would lead one to assume that I am experiencing a GPU limitation in that benchmark.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-cros...
August 20, 2009 9:39:30 AM

chef7734 said:
I max out the aa and af and play at the max setting cant remember what it is in crysis. I get between 50 and 75 fps during the whole game at 1920x1200. I do get a little slow down when the game autosaves but otherwise it is smooth as silk. Most people here think we are stupd for doing this but hey people spend thier money on other things like clothes or cars and I spend mine on computers. What you can do is try sli first and if that is not enough then go tri unless you are like me and just do it anyways.I dont think you need tri sli and I dont think I need tri sli but I am glad I have it and do not regret it.

Hey, Chef. You have a great system. Have you tried running the Crysis GPU and CPU benchmarks at different CPU frequencies to see how well CPU speed increases scale? With i7s being much more capable of running multiple high end cards well, it would be interesting to see the increase from 2.66-3.66, where you are currently at. I'm running my system @ 3.6Ghz with 8 threads presently.
August 20, 2009 9:44:05 AM

mespo365 said:

The GPUs scale well with enough CPU power. Take a look at the link I posted in my previous post to see the difference in CPU architectures. Also keep in mind that the Yorkfield Core 2 Quads are still faster clock for clock than AMDs Phenom 2 line. The difference is larger than I would have expected. People claim dual cores are better for games regardless of GPU/games and that thinking seems to be outdated with current technology.
!