Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Helping Overlocking CPU

Last response: in Overclocking
August 23, 2011 6:29:22 PM

Hello Everyone. I am new to overclocking and ask for some help from more experienced people.
I want to overclock my AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - 3.00GHz.
I need to know a rough estimate on voltages etc. If anyone has this processor and has overclocked theirs could you please get back to me.
I would like to get it to around 3.4ghz, and if possible 3.6ghz.

Specs:

AMD HDZ940XCJ4DGI Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache,
1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Deneb, Quad-Core, Socket AM2+, Unlocked Multiplier, OEM CPU.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Please reply asap.

Thanks, Awknathan.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:14:07 PM

No one can give you the exact voltages or BIOS settings for overclocking as each CPU is different and to find the right combo requires that you make a change and then test. The links below on OC'ing an AMD CPU should help. Overclocking is entertainment not a destination so be patient, careful and cautious. Be advised that it is possible to damage your hardware or lose data with OC'ing.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-at...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...
m
l

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 23, 2011 8:44:49 PM

What cooler do you have?

For those 3.4GHz maybe you don't need any voltage increase just go to your BIOS and change the multiplier from x15 to x17 boot to windows and use LinX or prime95 for test the stability of your rig, 2 hours or more are recommendable.

For 3.6GHz you maybe need increase the CPU voltage a little, just go to your BIOS again and try with 1.325V on CPU Voltage, test again with the above programs for stability.

Let me know the results....and no, there's not possibility of lose data if you do overclock.
Related resources
August 23, 2011 9:35:05 PM

Well first off I have the Cooler Master N520 so that is not a problem lol. Idle 38C on 3.00ghz.
I have tried setting my multiplier from x15 to x17 but get blue screen on startup.

The thing is in my BIOS it doesn't say CPU Voltage... It only has some CPU Voltage Overvolt option.
So I have to figure out how much voltage to add on top of the current voltage. I will upload some pictures
of my BIOS screen so you can see?

And yes I know that you won't lose data after overclocking failure. No Worries.

Reply back soon as possible.

\Awknathan.

<Edit> Here is my BIOS Screen:

m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 1:38:42 PM

Change CPU Overclocking option from "Auto" to "Manual" and for GPU check if exist and option for dissable or set to "Manual" too. What options gives you PCIE Overclocking?

Processor frequency multiplier is the option to change while the voltage for your CPU is calle "CPU Over Voltage", you can use the Load Line Calibration for adjust the vdrop of you CPU voltage.
m
l
August 24, 2011 2:19:47 PM

Wow. Thanks alot man. I have it running 3.6 stable. All I adjusted was the CPU Overclocking to "Manual" The Processor frequency multiplier to "17" and loadline calibration to
0.6750. And it seems to work great. Ran Prime95 for an hour.

Thanks.

Awknathan

<Edit> Okay maybe not so much.

After playing some games I was getting weird graphics glitches and stuff. I think I just have to fiddle with the voltages and stuff. Not much more you can do though.
Everyone's setup has to be overclocked differently. Thanks again.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 2:56:58 PM

Check the GPU overclocking options as well as the PCIE overclocking option, let me know the options of those two features.
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:07:27 PM

The CPU Overclocking option has Auto, Manual, Overclock Profile, and Test Mode. As seen in the picture.
The GPU Overclocking and PCIE Overclocking option only have Auto. and Manual.

\Awknathan
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 3:13:44 PM

Set all to manual and try again.
m
l
August 24, 2011 3:21:21 PM

Would it just be easier/safer to use a program to overclock such as AMD OverDrive, or TurboV?
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 3:30:14 PM

No or at least not those programs, I use K10Stat but even with software you have to disable some features and change another ones.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:11:30 PM

3.6 won't run stable but I got 3.4 running stable. Thanks so much for your help.
Couldn't have done it without you :) 

/Awknathan
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 7:18:06 PM

Do you want 3.6GHz? Add a little more voltage and test again.
m
l
August 24, 2011 8:27:45 PM

So basically the program I was talking about "AMD OverDrive". Mainly what it is a program that sets your computers voltages and clocks to your desire then tests to see if they are stable. If they are you take the information that it gives you for the stable overclock. Like CPU Voltage etc..
So I went into my BIOS and input that info. Finally figured out how the OverVoltage works.
So Now I am running stable 100% 3.46ghz. And I am very happy with it. Most of my games run 5-8 fps higher.

It has been a very frustrating time but I have finally figured out how to overclock my CPU correctly. lol

I could have not done it without you.

3.46ghz is good enough for me. From what I read in the forums my processor is very hard to get stable at 3.6ghz seeing how it is only rated to get to 3.2ghz.

Thank you very much Saint19.

Maybe we will meet again one day :D 

\Awknathan.
m
l
August 24, 2011 8:29:35 PM

Best answer selected by awknathan.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 289 K Overclocking
August 24, 2011 9:02:43 PM