P55A-UD4P fan connections

thomas97

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I am building a new PC using this motherboard.

Do I need to connect any fans to the motherboard besides the CPU fan?

Besides the CPU fan, the manual mentions two fans that I can use some help with:

PWR_FAN - I am assuming that this is supposed to connect to my power supply? I do not see that my Corsair TX850W has a fan connector.

PCH_FAN (Chipset Fan Header) - I am not even sure what this is. I am thinking that this may be used if I install an additional fan on the motherboard itself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
You need to use the board's CPU fan connector for your CPU heatsink's fan.

You do not need to use any others.

The manual should show a diagram of board's layout. The CPU fan connector has 4 pins, the others should have 3 pins.

By connecting fans to the 3-pin connectors, your motherboard can control the fans speed (maybe a program on your utilities CD) to increase speed when components heat up, or to slow down (and be quieter) when various parts of the board are cool enough. I run my front intake fan on a sys-fan connector, and my rear exhaust fan on my northbridge fan connector. All you need is the three-pin connector/converter for the fan you wish to plug-into the board.
You need to use the board's CPU fan connector for your CPU heatsink's fan.

You do not need to use any others.

The manual should show a diagram of board's layout. The CPU fan connector has 4 pins, the others should have 3 pins.

By connecting fans to the 3-pin connectors, your motherboard can control the fans speed (maybe a program on your utilities CD) to increase speed when components heat up, or to slow down (and be quieter) when various parts of the board are cool enough. I run my front intake fan on a sys-fan connector, and my rear exhaust fan on my northbridge fan connector. All you need is the three-pin connector/converter for the fan you wish to plug-into the board.

Solution

bilbat

Splendid
Extra fan connectors can always be put to good use - even 'under water'...
144k.jpg

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Easy Tune 6; which is included on the Gigabyte Installation Disc; shows you CPU and system temps and lets you control fan speeds(if they are plugged into the motherboard).
My front and rear case fans are plugged into the SYS_Fan1 and SYS_Fan2 headers on the motherboard. The Corsair 750TX has no connection to the motherboard fan headers.