Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 new build / help with connecting hard drives?

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2009 2:49:58 PM

What is the sequence of SATA controllers / connecters I should use to connect (3) SATA hard drives "non raid" and (2) SATA dvd/cd drives to an ASUS P6t mb? Do I hook up one, install OS then the next and so on...? What connecter should be used for the OS hdd, 2nd hdd, 3rd hdd, 1st dvd and 2nd dvd? I want to make sue everything is in the correct sequence.
July 23, 2009 3:56:53 PM

I hope this was not a dumb question. I'm somewhat of a newbie with all the "NEW" hardware that is out? Any replies / help?
m
l
July 23, 2009 4:03:47 PM

you dont need to hook them up in a particular order, just specify the boot order in bios when you first start it up.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2009 4:09:40 PM

hunter315 said:
you dont need to hook them up in a particular order, just specify the boot order in bios when you first start it up.

+1

Hunter......
m
l
July 23, 2009 4:11:22 PM

Your MOBO should have SATA connectors labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... etc. depending on how many you have. I've always installed my OS hard drive on SATA connector 0 than from their it really doesn't matter. You can install all of them at one time during your install process. You will need to remember when you install your OS, to choose the first HDD to install it on, which is SATA connector 0 on your MOBO.

Once you install the OS, you'll need to do two things:
First: Setup your boot sequence to boot from SATA connector 0 (Which has your OS) in your BIOS.
Second: Go into your Disk Management under the Computer Management in the Control Panel under Admins. Tools and format your other hard drives so you can see them and work with them.

I hope that helps you out... :) 

edit: Okay... hunter315 beat me to it as well as OvrClkr... It'll teach me to try and type at work, while eating lunch at my desk, answering questions at work...
m
l
July 23, 2009 4:40:14 PM

Thanks, GREAT help. One other question; boot sequence should be (1) DVD/CD, (2) Floppy, (3) HDD?
m
l
July 23, 2009 4:42:54 PM

you want the dvd drive to be first when you are installing the OS after that you want the HDD to be in the first spot, the location of the floppy drive doesnt matter. If you ever need to boot off the floppy just move it to the first spot temporarily when you need it.
m
l
July 23, 2009 5:19:46 PM

On the ASUS P6T do you know what the Jmicron JMB263 PATA and SATA controller are? Do I need to connect to it?
m
l
July 23, 2009 6:57:36 PM

They are for RAID setup & not required for your build
m
l
!