Upgrading from Hard Drive to SSD

azteca452

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
hello, i just bought a corsair 128gb ssd and im replacing a 1tb caviar black as an os drive, i have 2 more hard drives, one contains itunes and all my music, and the other contains some programs, my question is will i need to format this 2 drives so the new ssd with a fresh windows 7 recognizes itunes and my other programs?

Solution
Yes and no, with a fresh install it will see all your files just fine, but until you install programs like itunes so that you get the codecs. Your computer will not know what the files are.
As far as your programs, Depending on how the program installed itself. Most will still be able to run off the other hard drives on thier own. Some programs install files to the OS drive regardless of install location, and with a fresh install these files will be missing and the program may not run.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Yes and no, with a fresh install it will see all your files just fine, but until you install programs like itunes so that you get the codecs. Your computer will not know what the files are.
As far as your programs, Depending on how the program installed itself. Most will still be able to run off the other hard drives on thier own. Some programs install files to the OS drive regardless of install location, and with a fresh install these files will be missing and the program may not run.

Solution

azteca452

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

ok thanks :D