Sign in with
Your question

Abit KV8 Pro, 1.5TB SATA Segate, Installing XP problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2010 4:26:51 AM

Hello all,

I just got a new Segate Baracuda 1.5TB SATA Drive to replace my existing Seagate Baracuda 250GB drive.

I was having all sorts of problems trying to install Windows XP. I have since changed my CD drive from a SATA DVD burner to an IDE CDROM drive and all of the errors and crashes have gone away.

But...Windows is not recognizing the new drive during a fresh install. At the start of the installation I press F6 to add in the SATA drivers, awhile later it gets to a point where I need to press S to get the drivers from a floppy, I do that and the drivers on the floppy show up in a list. I scroll down to the VIA XP driver and select it. Then the installation continues but eventually comes to a point where it says it can't find any drives and I have to hit F3 to end the installation.

Is the HDD too big? Might it be bad?

What else can I try?

Thanks
John
January 16, 2010 8:08:57 PM

Well a computer geek friend of mine said it might be a problem with the 1.5TB drive and that when they came out some of them had problems with certain MB BIOSs. So I'm going to send the drive back.

He thought a 1TB drive would work, any thoughts on what drive will work with my MB?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 8:14:42 PM

Windows XP SP2 does not require SATA drivers to be installed at the F6 prompt.
m
l
January 18, 2010 1:00:00 AM

Well that didn't work. I get the same message with the 1TB drive. No drives found.

I have XP installed on an IDE drive and when I boot to that, Window Disk Manager doesn't see the new drive either.

Any ideas?

Thanks
m
l
January 20, 2010 2:07:48 AM

Broke down and bought a SATA controller card, all is well.
m
l
!