Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with Raid 0 on EP45 UD3P New to raid

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2010 6:32:10 AM

Hi everyone, i am new to putting hard drives in raid, so i hope you can bare with me.
I know what raid is and the types of raid, like raid 0 is fast, and raid 1 is same stuff on the other hardrive. But i dont know how to enable raid in my computer, can i recieve some help?

More about : raid ep45 ud3p raid

a c 177 V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 12:36:29 PM

Will post a detailed tutorial in a bit (busy with some drywalling - installed new bathroom for parents yesterday, and have a gaping, two foot square hole in the wall for my trouble :heink:  ); in the meantime, download this, and unzip it somewhere you can find it - contains the drivers, and two flavors of Intel's RAID management s'ware...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymmmwym50mz/RAID_Goodies....
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 1:52:27 PM

It would also help if you were to tell me what operating system you intend to install to - the instructions for Xp are somewhat different from those for Vista/Seven...
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2010 3:23:10 PM

I have windows 7 and thanks for helping me, i appreciate it, i downloaded the raid goodies. I currently have intel matrix storage manager and some other jmicron raid controller installed, but they both dont work, or they dont detect the harddrives or something. So im going to uninstall them and install the files u told me to download.
If it helps my harddrives are WD3200aaks, and the other one is WD3200aaJs
They are the same size, but the K is 16mb cache and the other one is 8mb, will this make my raid slower?

EDIT* When i try install the intel raid managers, it gives me a error saying "your computer doesn't reach the mininum requirements for installing the software,setup will exit.

EDIT2* I got the raid configured in bios, and it seems to be working, it says 640gb in windows setup, but when i try to install it, it says unable to format partition, and i cant install windows. That time i was using the gigabyte raid, or the Jmicron raid controller, that didnt work, so i tried using the intel matrix raid, and that just said " setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate a existing system partition. But i have already pressed new and formated the drive? im so confused.
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
January 16, 2010 9:25:44 PM

Quote:
I have windows 7

That is a good thing - it's decidedly easier than Xp... The reason the s'ware is whining is that you don't have configured RAIDs for it to 'discover', so it's not 'happy'; the procedure is threefold: first, you configure your machine BIOS to use RAID; next, once your machine 'knows' it's RAIDed, it will allow you into the seperate RAID BIOS (which remains dormant and unseen elsewise) to actually create the RAID array(s); third (at least for Intel RAIDs), you install the RAID manager, which allows the operating system (and you, of course) to keep tabs on the array, and (at least, attempt to) automatically repair/recover itself, should it detect anything awry...

Quote:

I don't believe this will be a problem, but one never knows until it's working (or not :cry:  ) - the recommendation, for pretty much all RAIDs, from every manufacturer, is to use identical drives...

So, in the beginning is the harware; your board uses an Intel ICH10R (the 'r' is for RAID...) southbridge, and has an additional jMicron SATA controller, that is also capable of RAIDing; I highly recommend the Intel ports, as they are detectably faster (roughly 12-15%), and more robustly supported (with a caveat I will get to...); this means you want your intended target drives plugged into the yellow SATA ports - preferably into the ones labelled SATA2_0 and SATA2_1. I always recommend that, if RAIDing, 'use up' all six of your Intel ports before resorting to the GSATA (jMicron - purple) ones - those ports are best reserved for ESATAs and DVDs, though they will handle AHCI pretty well.

Now you will need to enter your BIOS - if you're getting a 'splash' grapical screen on bootup, it's <TAB> to get to the POST screen, and <DEL> once there to enter the BIOS; cursor to the "Integrated Peripherals" entry, hit enter; set the first item, "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "RAID", and the second, "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled"; do an <F10> to save, exit and reboot...

Next boot, you will get a new screen after the POST; it will allow you to do a <CTRL+F1> to enter the RAID BIOS; once there, follow the procedure on pages 89-91 of your manual to create your RAID0, setting everything as pictured - including the 128K stripe size...

Now, you're ready to install your OS:
From the zip file I posted, extract the 'RAID_PreLoadDrivers' Folder; then, from it, extract either the IntelPreLoadsx64 (for sixty-four bit Seven) or the IntelPreLoadsx86 (for thirty-two bit Seven) onto a floppy or a pendrive; then follow the 'Vista' directions to load the actual drivers on pages 105 & 106 of the manual...

Next, once you've loaded all the hardware drivers from the disk included with your MOBO, run either IATA88ENU.exe, or intel_rst_9.5.0.1037 - and here's the difference - either will manage your RAID well - the '88' is older (and the current version - '89' [actually 8.9.0.1023] is 'broken', can occasionally 'kill' a drive or array) with a more consistent, but less flashy, helpful user interface; the 'RST' ('Rapid Storage Technology') is an 'unofficially leaked' version that is not currently supported, has a more helpful interface, but a few inconsistencies. I'm running the RST on most of my production systems, and have been happy with it, but, as I say, either will work,,,

Happy trails, and enjoy the speedup!
January 17, 2010 1:29:09 PM

leetoranges said:
I have windows 7 and thanks for helping me, i appreciate it, i downloaded the raid goodies. I currently have intel matrix storage manager and some other jmicron raid controller installed, but they both dont work, or they dont detect the harddrives or something. So im going to uninstall them and install the files u told me to download.
They are the same size, but the K is 16mb cache and the other one is 8mb, will this make my raid slower?

EDIT* When i try install the intel raid managers, it gives me a error saying "your computer doesn't reach the mininum requirements for installing the software,setup will exit.

EDIT2* I got the raid configured in bios, and it seems to be working, it says 640gb in windows setup, but when i try to install it, it says unable to format partition, and i cant install windows. That time i was using the gigabyte raid, or the Jmicron raid controller, that didnt work, so i tried using the intel matrix raid, and that just said " setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate a existing system partition. But i have already pressed new and formated the drive? im so confused.

If your running with an ASUS mobo, you gotta enable the Raid configuration in the BIOS to get the jmicron controller to work. right now its propably set to enhanced sata IED
I think if your runnin RAID 0 you gotta enable that, then do a fresh install. but if your doing a mirrord raid then you dont it just copys your original boot drive 1:1... from what iv read anyhow... havent set a raid up yet but have does some moderate research on it.
m
l
January 27, 2010 3:59:37 PM

Best answer selected by leetoranges.
m
l
!