Computer Just Stops

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Since I do not know what the problem is, I figured I'd post it here since my PC is homebuilt. This has only started happening after installing a new mobo after I killed my last one, an ASUS P-5ND. My current one is an EVGA 780i SLI. The problem is my computer just stops, period. The image on the screen stays up by nothing is running or responding and I have to restart. Today is the first time my PC ever came back without me having to restart. The mobo says even the HD stops because I've got LED's on the front of my case that flash as the HD is being accessed and they stop lighting up. I doubt though that this means the HD has actually stopped seeing as though its relying on the mobo to send the power to the lights. The computer doesn't stop very often but does so at random whether it be idling, if I'm gaming, or just browsing the web and listening to music.

Windows XP Pro SP3
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-TR 780i SLI
XFX GeForce 9600 GT
Powertek Skytek 600W PSU
Some 250W PSU for my fans and GPU
2GB Mushkin PC2 8500
OZC? 2GB
Turtlebeach AK-R8
WD Caviar 2500AAKS

Your type of problem can be caused by a number of things. What are the exact models of RAM that you have? Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs when you got your new motherboard? Do both RAM kits have the same specs? Are they both on the supported RAM list for your motherboard? Mixing RAM from different manufacturers on the same motherboard is asking for trouble.

Did you do a fresh install of XP when you got your new motherboard. You can rarely swap motherboards without problems. You usually need to do a fresh install of Windows since there are old drivers and registry entries left over from the old motherboard components.

Your PSU's also seem suspect. A cheap PSU will cause all sorts of problems ranging from system instability to fried components.

What are your idle and load CPU and GPU temps?

+1 to both of the above. Those are the #1 and #2 things I'd check. Finally, #3 is, since mobos these days have decent sound, you might want to try uninstalling that sound card. I've seen some cases, and heard of many more, where bad sound drivers would randomly lock up a system.
Your system would run just fine with a single Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU; that's all it needs. Whether they are the immediate cause of your problem or not, replacing your pair of dicey PSUs with a single quality one is a good idea anyway. Get one with Active PFC (giveaway is no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. I usually get Antec, but PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, and Enermax are also among the better brands. If you anticipate upgrading your GPU, you will likely want 500W for a single card, or 650W-750W if you will run two cards in SLI.
Next, if your RAM "ought" to work (similar specs, on vendor QVL, etc) you may need to increase your RAM voltage another .1V to counter vDroop, more common when four sticks are used. Verify that your RAM is good by testing your sticks individually with Memtest86+.

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
PSU is cheap, 12V seems low, by Speedfan so accuracy is iffy, at 11.2V but I did not have this problem with my previous mobo so maybe the sensors are off. Memory are two mushkins and two ozc both share the same specs, are at manufacturers settings and are in the appropriate slots. To be quite frank though, I'm leaning towards this being a hard drive problem. Seeing as how the day it actually came back I had to run a diagnostic. That thread is here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250912-32-read-error-rate#bas