Seagate "Hybrid" Drives

Klorance

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I read a few weeks ago that these drives were experiencing problems. Around the same time I noticed that newegg and tigerdirect both took them down.

It seems they're back and I'm building a new system (ordering parts tonight/tomorrow).

Questions: Are these drives worth it the extra cash? Do they perform well short and long term? Did Seagate fix whatever was wrong with them and ship new "fixed" products?

I'm used to getting fast answers here on Tom's and hopefully that doesn't change today as the discount for my current selected drive will be ending at 2am (about 11 hours).

Thanks to all you great techies in advance for all the wonderful advice I get from you. :)

Edit: Read my reply just below if you want to offer advice as I added some more info without editting it in...

Klorance

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Just want to add that the HDD is the only part of my new build that's giving me a headache figuring out what to get. I have no intention of shelling out more than 80 or 90 bucks for a drive, and I'd rather spend less. I've always been a WD guy, but all the reviews I've read of their "black" series not living up to expectations scares me.

I understand 6.0g performance will not be attained on a mechanical drive, I'm assuming the newest MB's have the 6.0g interface for those that use SSD's. I really need a lot of information gents. =(

Edit: This is a strictly gaming PC. I have an older macbook pro that still suits me fine for everything else. I might do some browsing or normal PC stuff on it, but for the most part this is just for gaming. I guess I "might" be willing to buy the cheapest SSD I could get just to install windows, then format one of my older drives to my games, then upgrade that drive at a later date....I just don't know...I'm really on the fence here...

Klorance

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
For the first time my Tom's techies didn't come through for me. I opted to get a 64gig SSD to boot from and a 1tb WD black w/ 64mb cache to run my games on.